The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2004, 05:52 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default need help with a trip to Europe...

we are in the early planning stages of a trip to Europe. Looks like maybe July for 4+ weeks. I want to see Scotland, England, France, Germany and San Marino ( French Rivieria ) my wife wants to see Italy. For some bizarre reason... I would like to go to Moscow as well....

anyway..neither of us has ever had a passport or done anything like this....

questions...

is it better to just buy a package tour and go with the flow... ??

pros and cons ?

things to be sure to DO and NOT DO !!!!

how do you decide what to do and not do ?? ...I could spend 3 or 4 weeks in just one of these countries..

I will be looting my 401(k) to pay for it and it represents almost 35 years of very hard work so I want to make the most of it...

any and all help appreciated !!!! Thanks.

Larry
Old 03-27-2004, 06:45 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Not much help here.....just sounds like it would be a great trip. My grandpa talks about Italy alot. Around Poe Valley and Monte Cassino. I'm sure there are tons of online travel guides.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:36 PM

Larry,
PM me with your email address and I will email all info I can. I am currently in the process of booking a flight for my boss to Moscow. I do know that you will need passports which you can get your picture at Motophoto or even the Post Office.
For Moscow you will need two visas. Please plan for enough time for the Post Office to process your passports.
Since this is your first trip you might want to do the package tours or a combo of package with a few days on your own for exploration.
Have Fun!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-27-2004, 11:38 PM

Oh by the way...I book travel arrangements for my employees on a regular basis, so I have lots of web links, shortcuts, and tips for booking.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 03-28-2004, 05:42 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

DL :

Thanks. Why do you need two visas for Russia ? I will be contacting you shortly. Any other info about Russia greatly appreciated.

Larry
Old 03-28-2004, 07:57 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

MD,

My wife and I took a motorcoach trip through Northern England and Scotland. It was a 10 day trip through American airlines where, for some odd reason, we had to fly from Boston to JFK, then to Manchester, England. The bus was very comfortable and the driver/guide seemed to well versed in the history of the countries. I had no problems with the hotels except that there was no air conditioning and it was the hottest summer in 114 years!

What I didn't like was not being able to stop, when I liked, to see things. For example, on Skye there was an old castle (open to the public) I wanted to explore but we had that damned timetable to keep. A couple of places where we did stop were very touristy and I preferred to get out and meet the people, which we could only really do after supper (over many pints and "wee drams" of scotch).

If we go back, I'll rent a car so I can do things at my leisure but, for a first time trip, I think I'd again go with the tour package. At least you'll have someone who knows the local laws and customs and can speak the language if a problem arises. And if you don't think that not important in Glasgow, try talking to those locals! You can cut their accents with a knife!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:55 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Larry,

My wife and I just went to England, Scotland and Wales last May. Part of our "tour" was a "package" deal through COSMOS world tours and part of the trip I reserved and designed myself (on our own)........it WAS the best time we've ever had!

I'll e-mail you all the pertinent info I have and possibly send you some good books on "tips for traveling" in England if you'd like.

Scotland is without a doubt one of the most spectacular places on this planet!

Be talking to you later.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default MD

This is such an easy call. Don't go.
Go to the snake river In Idaho, Go to the grand cannion, Carlsbad caverns, Wisconsin dells, Lake supireor, Florida Pan Handle, Hot springs ark, Lake Taho, Niagra falls, big ben river trips. I can give you a bunch more if you like. Keep your good times and your money in the good old USA. France Sucks, England is to wet and erigant ass holes, germans think you are scum, Italy, may be worth the trip, But if you really got to go over seas, grease is where you want to go. The Greeks invented every important thing in our lifes.
But I was in the infantry so what do I know.

Ron
Old 03-28-2004, 02:17 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron :

Jeez man... lighten up for God's sakes !! LOL LOL... I have been in Hawaii, Wake Island, Japan, the Phillipines, South Vietnam, Cambodia, Mexico and Australia....I have been in 44 of the 50 states....and seen all the touristy stuff in the USA you can imagine thanks to all the government sponsored trips I made while working for Uncle Sam / IRS for almost 35 years...all told about 2 solid years on the road...However...Europe, India, Pakistan, Russia, Antartica, the Amazon ( Soth America ), Tahiti, and Africa beckon.....

I think you need a session with Keith.. LOL ...and I will agree with most of your impressions of the Europeans....but my kinsmen are in Scotland, England and Normandy ( France from Norman invasion ) and are Vikings...and I would just like to go see the "Mother Country" one time before I check out.......

Larry

P.S. Of the 10 places you mentioned, I have been to seven ( Florida Panhandle 22 times... )
Old 03-28-2004, 02:49 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

What Rev said... the way to get around it is check the itinerary of guided tours without taking them, follow those instructions without signing up for the tour, and then go where you wish

As long as you're at it, pick the highest most pricey tour to copy...