Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 AM

Default Veterans Urged to Wear Military Medals on Veterans Day

http://www.emilitary.org/article.php?aid=8746

Veterans Urged to Wear Military Medals on Veterans Day
Donna Miles, American Forces Press Service
2006-11-07

WASHINGTON, Nov. 6, 2006 ? With National Veterans Awareness Week under way and the national Veterans Day observance on Nov. 11, the Veterans Affairs secretary is urging all veterans to show their pride by wearing their military medals.

R. James Nicholson?s ?Veterans Pride? initiative calls on veterans to wear the medals they earned while in uniform this Veterans Day to ?let America know who you are and what you did for freedom,? he said.

The campaign is modeled after a tradition in Australia and New Zealand, countries that honor the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, or ANZAC, every April 25. The observance originally commemorated more than 8,000 Australians killed during the battle of Gallipoli during World War I, but now honors all Australian and New Zealand veterans.

Last year, while attending ANZAC ceremonies in Sydney, Nicholson said he was struck to see all the veterans and surviving family members wearing their military medals and campaign ribbons.

?It focused public pride and attention on those veterans as individuals with personal histories of service and sacrifice for the common good,? he noted in a message to veterans. ?That is why I am calling on America?s veterans to wear their military medals this Veterans Day, Nov. 11, 2006.?

Nicholson and leaders of major veterans groups announced the initiative during an Oct. 18 ceremony here at the VA headquarters.

Wearing their medals, he said, ?will demonstrate the deep pride our veterans have in their military service and bring Veterans Day home to all American citizens.?

?We expect Americans will see our decorated heroes unite in spirit at ceremonies, in parades and elsewhere as a compelling symbol of courage and sacrifice on Veterans Day, the day we set aside to thank those who served and safeguarded our national security,? Nicholson said at the ceremony.

Nicholson and the veterans group leaders hope to start a new tradition in which U.S. veterans wear their military medals every Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Fourth of July.

More information about the Veterans Pride campaign is posted on the VA Web site. The site also helps veterans determine where to go to replace lost medals or to confirm which decorations they?re entitled to wear.
I can do. What I can do, I should do. And what I should
do, By the grace of God, I will do. -Edward Everett Hale
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Doc.2/47

They're a little late on that one. I kept mine hidden away on account of the whole "baby burner" thing and I'm sure that somewhere along the line they went out with the trash.

Who knew that civilians would ever take an interest in such things?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Same here Hal.....I think I left them with the ex-wife. Maybe she'll wear em
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Mine are:

My Uniform I wore home still has them stuck to it. They haven't moved since 1969.

Bob, Your ex gave them to the pawn shop. They are still there. I believe your good conduct medal has a smiley face on it.

Keith
Old 11-09-2006, 07:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Got,...

...to get one to where one,...

...though in 20 odd days, it will be 27 years, "it don't mean nothin" now,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 11-09-2006, 08:47 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My uniform won't fit that is for sure. My medals and ribbons my son has in my shadow box when I retired.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM

As far as my Army Uniform is concerned, it's "Gone with the wind". And if I did have it, well, that's another story as far as squeezing into it.
Never got any medals , not even a good conduct medal. Got busted 4 or 5 months after I made PFC. Made it back about 6 months later and even made SP4 about a month before my 3 year ETS. Was told that bust stopped me from wearing a GCM.
But on the other hand, I wasn't planning on reenlisting. As the saying goes "nothing gained, nothing lost".
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Have no idea where my ribbons got to. Like Doc's, probably got tossed years ago. I proudly wear my badges [Jumpwings and CIB] on hats.

Watering Hole: I'm also a proud member of "The Bad Boyz Club." Two Article 15's kept me from getting a GCM. Like I cared .
Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking Could the Good Conduct Medal be the most difficult medal to receive?

"Snuffy" Smith said it was easier to win the Medal of Honor than a good conduct medal. He was disciplined to K.P. duty the day he was to receive the Medal of Honor. He never did get a good conduct medal.

Maynard Harrison Smith a.k.a. "Snuffy Smith" (May 19, 1911 - May 11, 1984) US Army Air Forces Staff Sergeant. As a gunner aboard a B-17 bomber in World War II he was awarded the Medal of Honor for his conduct during a bombing mission over Germany on May 1, 1943.

Keith
Old 11-10-2006, 07:07 AM

Yea you right frisco-kid. Got myself on an Article 15 also for insubordination, missing bed check 3 or 4 times and having a quart of IW Harper in my locker. They use to pull random ramsack searches in your foot and wall lockers lockers when they was looking for something they can use to hang on you.
What was surprising is using that booze against me. Just about every field grade NCO and Officer carried a fifth or two with them every time they went on maneuvers. Even the post Chaplains use to carry a little something with him.

BTW frisco, how many jumps you got to have to wear jump wings with the star on top of the parachute ?
"I Have Not Come To Bring Peace, I Have Come With The Sword". Jesus Christ.....Matthew 10:34