The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Benefits

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2002, 03:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to masher51
Default Diabetes

Recently,my doc told me I have diabetes.I have heard something about the govt oking benefits for nam vets contracting diabetes.
Does anyone know anything about this.
Thanks,
masher
Old 12-04-2002, 09:50 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default For Masher Info regard Diabetes

I am sorry it took so long for you to get an answer on this. I found this info through a google search. Talk to your doc, talk to the VA, talk to a DAV rep, We have a county service officer on the site billr that could probably answer some questions for you. Good Luck. Get what you have coming to you and take care.

Arrow>>>>>

Agent Orange related Diabetes
From: John G. Kalil, Jr. , USAF OSI Dec 69-Dec 70 - Can Tho
Date: 27 Apr 2002
Time: 1918
Remote Name: 209.161.68.150

Comments
To any Vietnam Vet who now has Type II Diabetes: The VA is now allowing for the granting of disability status for ANY Vietnam Vet who now has developed diabetes type II (Diabetes Mellitus) A direct link is presumed between diabetes and exposure to agent orange. I served in Can Tho city with Air Force Intelligence from Dec 69 - Dec 70. I now have diabetes type II that I control through daily medication and diet control. The VA has granted me a 20% disability....about $199 per month tax free. Vets with more severe forms of diabetes that require daily shots of insulin and that have caused medical complication will receive significantly more than I receive. I just thought you should all know. ALL VIETNAM VETS WITH DIABETES TYPE II will be granted diabled status. A DIRECT LINK has been made between agent orange and diabetes. Go for it.... my Vietnam Veteran Brothers through your local Veterans Affairs office. As an aside, there is also a direct link with prostate cancer. I know. My brother Robert was with the Army at Pleiku in 1969. He died of prostate cancer last year.

(By the way my own brother has prostate cancer that went into the bone because the VA failed to notify him of a high PSA count. All you guys need to get checked)

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 06:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to masher51
Default Thanks !

Thanks Arrow for the information.I will definitely look into
it.I always said that they killed all of us in Nam,some sooner
some later.
Thanks again Bro
Happy Hoildays to you and yours
Masher
Old 12-06-2002, 12:01 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default No problem..

just do me a favor and follow through...

life might be a bit easier for you (after you get through the red tape)

my children's daddy died of non-hodgkins lymphoma after a tour of duty in Vietnam...

but there is more hope now than then...

and I like to think that the knowledge they gained from the drugs they treated him with maybe saved another brothers life..years later even...maybe...

Watch your six..brother...

Arrow>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 04-27-2003, 09:22 AM

Default agent orange

Served with the 199th redcatcher in 68 and 69. I have delevoped diabetis, have lost my sleen and have had heart bypass x 5. I have made an appoint to see a doctor at the VA. any information or assistance is welcomed. Gil
Old 04-27-2003, 05:05 PM

Default Diabetes & Agent Orange

Diabetes is one of the conditions that have been recognized for Presumptive service connection based on service in Vietnam.
In order to establish service connection all you have to have is a confirmed diagnosis of diabetes (Type II) and proof of "in-country" service in Vietnam. If you were Army or Marine Corps, award of the Vietnam Service Medal will usually be sufficient. Air Force and Navy personnel were also given the VSM but some may never have set foot in Vietnam, so they generally require additional information to establish "in-country" service.
These are very easy claims to get throught VA. I'd suggest you file with VA ASAP, the sooner you file the earlier the effective date of any award VA may grant.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hrosario

If you were IN-Country, and your records are not "lost" in Missouri, then you'll have no problem. If you spent less than 180 days (Tdy), and Missouri "lost" your records, you better get on the Net and start looking for your unit buddies to provide statements. You better start looking for evidence you were there (love letters, pay records, etc.). But what about my Vietnam medals on my DD-214? Well, these were given out like candy - to anyone who flew over, or was on a ship off-shore. You see, for Agent Orange you must have set foot in the country of Vietnam. I know, I was infuriated when I learned this, and felt hopeless. But that's the law as it stands now. I'm one of those who spent a few days shy of 180 days in Vinh Long & Can Tho before going to Thailand. I'm also one of those whose overseas duties for some reason are missing from my records. Sound familiar? So now I have Social Security Payroll records for which I paid $37.50 for, 3 buddy statements who saw me there, still waiting on IRS form 4506 to hopefully prove my exempt status. I've spent close to $300 doing my own search, because, believe me, you must help yourself. The DAV VSOs and the like are wonderful people and they will help. But you must also show an interest in your case. This has been the worse scenario. Hopefully, your case will be easier to prove. Good Luck.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:50 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Masher51 ET AL

Go to your nearest VA or DAV and tell them you want to file a claim for service related adult onset diabetes. They will do the rest. Also, tell them you want to be put on the agent orange register.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Hrosario

Well, SSA records can't prove anything. Combat pay $65) and overseas pay ($13) won't show. The IRS form for which I paid $23 won't help either. They don't keep records that far. So, I keep looing for the hand-few USAF buddys who were at Vinh Long Army base in 1972.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:09 AM

Hello,
I hope someone can help us.

My dad served in Korea on the DMZ at Camp Casey. He says it was also sometimes called Happy Valley and Happy Dragon. He served 1964-1967 in the US Army. He served 13 months at Camp Casey in 1964, 1965, maybe a small part of 1966.

He remembers being told, this is weed killer, spray it. It being in large barrels with an orange and white stripe. He would pump it into a backpack and spray it, and sometimes spray it from a truck. There were no aerial spraying. He said it killed everything and when the rainy season came, there was no vegetation to hold back the water. He worked with the ROK and the KOTUSA.

He has many symptoms of AO, including Type II diabetes, but the VA is denying he used AO. That they didn't use it until 1968, but I have found recently declassified papers that it was being tested as far back at 1963. He has also been told that his military records were destroyed in the St Louis MO fire in 1973, but the governments own website states it was records of people that were discharged years before him. He is getting the run around and I am angry about it. If he is there are many, many more.

AO symptoms are showing up in his offspring, my sister and I, and in our children. These men served their time for their country. Now he is being asked...why did you wait so long? He didn't. He started having skin issues right upon discharge. Even went through a panel of doctors, 21 sets came in to see him, so more than 21 doctors, and not one could agree what was wrong with him.

Can anyone from that time frame, or prior, that has any memory, or knowledge, of Agent Orange, or any other toxic weedkillers please get with us? Anything can help. He has worked his whole life, and just wants to VA to recognize that he has health problems from his Army service. My name is Michelle Varney, I am his oldest daughter. I can be contacted via email at trafficfina@gmail.com My sister is Evelyn Shaw. Her email is ecvshaw@yahoo.com My father is Verlin Varney. His email is vvarney@columbus.rr.com

We will be happy to share with you in return any information we find to help you as well.

We thank you in advance.

Verlin Varney
Michelle Varney
Evelyn Shaw