The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Holidays-Depression or Old Age?

Ever notice how depressing the holidays are getting the older we get? My wife says that to me every now and then. I had to drop back and reflect on this as I wasn't sure how this happened?

Now that I've had some time to reflect on that statement. I find that I'm looking over my shoulder and what I see is that most of the old family is gone and I miss being with them.

Many Suns have come and gone and I like many others don't know how many more I will see before I fade away into the landscape.

I think about the accomplishments and missed opportunities in my life and how I wish I could have changed some of the things that I've done.

Reflection - they say is good for the soul but I find that I get depressed when thinking about the past. Today I have my wife thank God - and my kids and grandkids. I give thanks for that for there are many who weren't so lucky to have a family.

I think about the poor and the hungry who are still in this world suffering on a daily basis. I think of the sick and of the conflicts of which our country is in. I reflect on the lost souls taken well before their time. I think about what some of them could have become and done to make this a better world.

The Holidays don't have he same meaning any more. Oh I have my moments where I'm up and positive - but its difficult to stay in that corner of my mind. Too many issues of late drag you out and throttle you over and over again - taking you outside that box and making you see the real world and you are overwhelmed by the sorrow of the happenings of the day.

I regret venting my feelings on this - I'm not a humbug I love life and I appreciate the little things more than I did years ago. I'm more sensitive now to others needs and I wonder why I wasn't like that years ago?

My ego is shrinking each year - I find pleasure in being with old friends - but here too they are shrinking away. Is this old age or just plain depression? Do these holidays really make people happy or just cause them to reflect on things gone by?

I appreciate the "patriotfiles" my biggest family is you guys and the honesty one can express here - and to know that many of us will periodically get into this funk.

The past has a tendency to pull you back into it and though you want to go back - you know you can't change anything - because those are shadows of things that were.

Living in the past is living in a world of your own. It's no longer real - just glimpses of those things that for a moment were real and lasting.

Don't worry about me - I'm just fine - I just needed to let a little emotion out and see if I really had the nerve to make it public.
God bless you one and all and thanks for letting me into your family -

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2005, 08:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Boats,

Thanks for sharing!

Growing up on a farm out in the sticks of Eastern Oregon we didn't have a big fancy Christmas. Socks, a pair of Levi's, and BVD Briefs were the usual Christmas Presents I received. We never had a Christmas Tree because that was just a temporary fixture and a of waste of money.
But my memories of Christmas are wonderful. The family getting together, and we did have a feast. The neighbor raised Turkeys so we always got a Turkey for Christmas, plus Ham (we raised the pig), potatoes and gravy and various vegetables and all kinds of Pies, Cookies, etc.
But the memories of Family, and the kidding and hasseling of one another is priceless. In my family we teased and hassel and told hunting stories, especially the "buck fever" stories, and revieved the funny things which happened during the year. Christmas was a great experience.
But, the older I get and the kids are no longer at home, this year they'll all be coming home for Christmas, I can identify with you Boats. But, I just take it as life has its seasons. I'm going through my fall season. It is beautiful, but things are starting to turn a little colder and I need stoke the fire with my special memories to get warm now and then.
I also greatly appreciate my Patriotfiles friends. Here is a place outside the family I can let my hair down. I can hassel and get hasseled. Discuss serious issues and, yet not get so stuck on the serious that you loose the joy of enjoying life.

Thank you for sharing Boats,
I also Identify so much with what you said.

Keith
Old 12-20-2005, 10:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Boats
In the past I found the Xmas season way too hectic when it came time for shopping parties etc.....Now I just sit back and choose exactly what I want to do. The wife and I decided we didnt need anything present wise for Xmas so lets just enjoy the holidays with our friends and thats exactly what were doing. I realize you cant stop a woman from shopping so I told her to devote her attention to our son and thats what she's doing. As far as slowing down, I LIKE IT!!!!
Now here's what you need to do. Grab a calander. circle the last week in April. Come on down to my house and meet up with Trav and Splummer. Then ride with us to the biggest craziest event ever. When you get back home you'll have something to look foward to........Next April
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 AM

Thanks Bob - I'll mark the calendar but I can't promise anything firm until I see what's what around that time. I've got a Cousin who lives in Indy - somewhere? - we only see each other when someone in the family dies - ya know how that goes.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

just get his name.....I have a knack for finding people
Bob K

God bless the ACLU