Old 04-24-2002, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default Lou Gehrig's Disease link just publicized

fnaWife2AFVV

Registered to :Sep 26, 2001
Posted 10-12-2001 at 20:56
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.azfamily.com/cgi-bin/heal...e&id=15056.txt

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Govt. Finds Gulf War Illness Link

Washington
Dec. 10, 2001 01:33 PM
By Laura Meckler
Associated Press Writer

Soldiers who served in the Gulf War were nearly twice as likely to develop Lou Gehrig's disease as other military personnel, the government reported Monday, the first time it has acknowledged a link between service in the Gulf and a specific disease.

The Veterans Administration said it would immediately offer disability and survivor benefits to veterans who served in the Persian Gulf during the conflict a decade ago.

"The hazards of the modern day battlefield are more than bullet wounds and saber cuts," said Anthony Principi, secretary of Veterans Affairs.

The results released Monday have not yet been reviewed by other scientists or published in an academic journal, but officials said they were releasing them now to prevent further delay in compensating victims of the progressive, fatal disease.

"They need help now and we will offer them that help," Principi said.

The study compared nearly 700,000 military personnel who served in the Gulf War between August 1990 and July 1991 with another 1.8 million personnel who were not deployed to the region. It found that those who were deployed were nearly twice as likely to develop amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a fatal neurological disorder often called Lou Gehrig's disease.

Among Gulf War veterans, the rate of disease was 6.7 people per million. Among other military personnel, it was 3.5 per million.

The rate was not uniform among all personnel. Those who served in the Air Force were 2.7 times as likely to contract the disease, and those in the Army were twice as likely. Disease rates among Marine and Navy veterans were not statistically different from personnel not in the Gulf.

Researchers do not know why Gulf War veterans were more likely to contract the disease, the cause of which is unknown.

Principi said the VA would continue research on the connection between other illnesses and the Gulf War and increase research into ALS to try and find a cause, treatment and cure.

Advocates for veterans have long maintained that Gulf veterans were more likely to develop ALS but earlier, smaller studies failed to prove a connection.

The same will be proven true for other illnesses, predicted Steve Robinson, executive director of the National Gulf War Resource Center.

"We've been proven right, and we're going to be proven right on a lot of other things as well," he said. "This whole issue is about to blow wide open."

(Copyright 2001 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Profile www Qoute
Sp4LittleJohn

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 10-12-2001 at 21:12
Oh my God is it possible that the government is accepting evidence and not stonewalling it?

Did the Secretary of Veterans Affairs actually step up to the plate and say that these Vets need help now? What's this world coming to?

'Course if you look at Anthony Principi's VN service record you just might get an idea that this guy is for real. Now if he can only do something about claim resolution time and reduce the average wait for final ruling on a claim from 500+ days to something a little more reasonable, like 60 days.

-----------------
Pain is only temporary. Pride is forever.

Profile Email Qoute
fnaWife2AFVV

Registered to :Sep 26, 2001
Posted 10-12-2001 at 23:01
'Might be a good something to bring some email pressure upon Congressmen and Senators about, especially those on the military affairs committees.....

m

Profile www Qoute
arrow

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 11-12-2001 at 14:35
Hello!! Its about time! Thank you for posting this m. Could we possibly even hope? I hear they don't even look at the e-mail. I think we need a hard copy. I am going to write a letter and put it up here on the site. It can be copied and pasted into your word programs and sent off to everyone you think will listen. If we all care enough to do it maybe we will get a response. Shoot I don't care if it is ran in your newspapers if you have the money to do it. Stay tuned. This letter has been building in my spirit for while..I'll be back..sis Thanks again m for giving us the heads up...gee I got through this with out one bad word even though I am angry as hell oops about the way our vets are treated...sis

Profile Qoute
David

Posted 12-12-2001 at 00:56
Don't know what they did over there just know the way they did it and live with the outcome. Hard to even read that and think of the people I served with. Will be nice when they finally accept the fact that a whole lot of people have not been the same sense and that is speaking physically without even getting into the mental aspects of the whole affair. I have never talked to one Gulf vet that did not have things going on that should not be and have no explanation. There has been no real effort to find solutions either medical or monetary. Then again, if my suspicions are correct, a medical solution would be impossible. I think of AO and wonder why we did not learn from the past and I think of our troops now and hope we have.

Profile www Qoute
SaraSailor

Registered to ec 08, 2001
Posted 16-12-2001 at 17:08
Now this ticks me off, They are only doing this if you were in the service at a certain time. They refuse to tell you (Or admit to it) it is JP-5 posioning that is the root cause ot it, and it happend for years before the gulf war and years after!!!!!! Trust me, by them admitting to this it will save them a bunch. Come on you buttheads come clean.

Bob

Profile Qoute
David

Posted 02-01-2002 at 01:26
That is an intersting theory. JP-5 ( jet fuel basically right? ) was used in a lot of our equipment, trucks ect. We burned trash with it too. Do you have any facts or instances of problems to relate concerning your contact with this stuff?

Profile www Qoute
SaraSailor

Posted 05-01-2002 at 00:24
David,
You can go to Yahoo and type in JP-5 and you can see all kinds of scary stuff on JP-5 The biggest problem with JP-5 is that it attacks the nervous system.

I have a whole host of medical problems myself. Heart palpatations, joint pains (To the point I am on my hands and knees in the morning for about 15 min) Depression, I sleep walk. (I never did that prior to my time in the Navy) I also have Insomnia. I have chronic fatigue, memory loss, I also have had 2 operations on my intestinal track.

The Ship I was on the USS Saratoga CV-60 (Forstall class) had more problems then most because of intrenal sounding tubes and poor handling. I feel the Navy needs to do more studies in this area.

I have tried to start fires with this before with no real luck. I have almost 200 documents pertaining to JP-5 and all of it dangers. Politicians do not want not to hear about it because it will cost them money. Nam vets and WW2 really do not put this on the top of there"to do list" because it all happend after there time so they do not seem to connect with it, and most of the voices in Washington right now are WW2 guys or Nam.

Well nuff said, this stuff is BAD BAD BAD

Bob

Profile Qoute
SaraSailor

Posted 05-01-2002 at 22:10
Here is one of the many good sites on JP-5 were the Goverment admits they just don't know but look at some of the effects for long term.......GWS symtoms are the same. I have a butt load of other sites that say the same thing.

All I really want is for the Navy to admit that this is some bad shyt and it can and will kill you over time.

Go to www.atsdr.cdc.gov/facts121.html

Bob
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links