Old 02-28-2005, 02:47 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default Fallon takes over for retiring Fargo

Fallon takes over for retiring Fargo as head of U.S. Pacific Command

Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Adm. William J. Fallon assumed command of the U.S. Pacific Command from Adm. Thomas B. Fargo during a ceremony Saturday, according to a PACOM news release.

?I intend to put a premium on good strong relationships between people,? Fallon said, according to ceremony transcripts, ?and to work hard to establish and to nurture the personal links essential to a climate of trust and confidence between leaders and nations in this region.

?I ask for your help in learning the many things that I must learn and I invite your counsel and advice.?

Fallon, now the senior U.S. military commander in the Pacific and Indian Ocean areas, leads the largest of the unified commands and directs Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force operations across more than 100 million square miles, according to the release. His last assignment was commander of U.S. Fleet Forces Command and U.S. Atlantic Fleet.

?I pledge to you dedication to the task of enhancing stability and to setting conditions for a security environment in this region and throughout the world, in which people can truly live in peace and confidence,? he said.

Fallon also thanked those involved in the ceremony.

?I?d like to join Tom in offering my kudos to the band, the color guard, the many folks who are here in uniform and the many others who are not here who have labored long and hard behind the scenes to put this event together and to make it the glorious day that it is,? he said. ?So thank you very much.?

Air Force Gen. Richard B. Myers, Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, officiated at the ceremony.

?It?s because of the efforts of the men and women of the U.S. Pacific Command that today, millions of people in the Middle East and around the world now have a choice,? Myers stated in the release. ?In the Global War on Terrorism, PACOM has met and conquered great challenges across great distances.?

Myers presented the U.S. Pacific Command with the Joint Meritorious Unit Award during the ceremony.

According to the release, since Fargo took command on May 2, 2002, PACOM ?was involved with numerous operations, ranging from combating terrorism in the Philippines to, most recently, leading relief efforts from the December 26, 2004 tsunami in Operation Unified Assistance.?

Fargo is retiring after 35 years in the Navy.

Fallon is a graduate of the Naval War College, Newport, R.I. and the National War College in Washington, D.C., and he has a master of arts degree in international studies from Old Dominion University. He has earned the Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Distinguished Service Medal, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal, Navy Commendation Medal, and various unit and campaign decorations.

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2005, 05:46 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

CNO is retiring Adm Clark is retiring, and the new CNO will be Adm Michael G Mullen.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote