The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Airforce

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2003, 10:21 AM

Default B-52 questions

I'm Navy and don't know much about the big B-52 so let me ask a few questions. Now if any are proprietary just say no comment I don't want to let anything out that shouldn't.

1. When B-52's carpet bomb are these normally 500 pounders?
2. Can I ask How many they can hold?
3. If we are dropping 5000 pounders (bunker busters) would the B-52's be capable of dropping these or is there a problem with the rack mounting configurations?
4. The MOAB (21000 pounder's) I presume the same would apply to this weapon be dropped from a B-52.

Could you imagin carpet bombing with B-52's carrying MOAB's into the outskirts of town or on the mountains up North.

Just thought ask we were kicking this around at work and no one really had any answer's that we could all believe in. :cd:

Thanks and Be Safe

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2003, 10:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default here is some info...

the big bombs, at least the 15,000 lb. "Daisy Cutter" are rolled out the back of a C-130...http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevo...s/b052-10.html

Less than 6 months after the B-52F became involved in combat in Vietnam, the Air Force decided to convert most of its B-52Ds to conventional warfare capability for service in Southeast Asia. Foremost among the changes needed was to give the B-52D the ability to carry a significantly larger load of conventional bombs. This led to the Big Belly project which was begun in December of 1965. The project increased the internal bomb capacity from just 27 weapons to a maximum of 8 4500-lb Mk. 82 or 42 750-lb M117 conventional bombs. This was done by careful rearrangement of internal equipment, and did not change the outside of the aircraft. In addition, a further 24 bombs of either type could be carried on modified underwing bomb racks (originally designed for the carrying of Hound Dog cruise missiles and fitted with I-beam rack adapters and a pair of multiple ejection racks), bringing the maximum payload to 60,000 pounds of bombs, about 22,000 pounds more than the capacity of the B-52F.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:37 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/IB.HTM

The B-52 is the US Air Force long range, large payload multirole bomber and is known as the Stratofortress or the Buff (Big Ugly Fat Fellow). It is the USAF's principal strategic nuclear and conventional weapon platform, and also supports the US Navy in antisurface and submarine warfare missions. It is the longest serving combat aircraft in the world - 104 B-52H's were built and the last was delivered in 1962. The B-52, with a weapons payload of more than 70,000 pounds, is capable of carrying the most diverse range of weapons of any combat aircraft. The nuclear weapons capacity includes 12 AGM-129 Advanced Cruise Missiles (ACMS), 20 AGM-86A Air Launched Cruise Missiles (ALCM) and eight bombs. The conventional weapons carriage capability is eight AGM-84 Harpoon missiles, four AGM-142 Raptor missiles, 51 x 500 lb bombs, 30 x 1000 lb bombs, 20 AGM-86C Conventional Air Launched Cruise Missiles (CALCM), twelve Joint Stand Off Weapons (JSOW), twelve Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) and sixteen Wind Corrected Munitions Dispenser (WCMD). The B-52 can also deliver 51 500lb, 30 1000lb and 20 2000lb navy mines. The B-52H is powered by eight Pratt and Whitney type TF33-P-3 turbofan engines each providing more than 17,000 pounds of thrust. The engines are mounted in pairs on sharply raked forward pods under the 185 feet wing. The aircraft has ten internal plus two external fuel tanks with a capacity of over 181,000 litres, which gives an unrefuelled range of more than 8,600 miles. The operational range with one air refuelling is 7,500 nautical miles.
Old 03-28-2003, 11:35 AM

Golly, I'm impressed - geez we all didn't think those baby's carried that much payload. No wonder they ran out of the desert in 91.

Why is it they aren't using them so much during this conflict? Someone hear said they were 16 of these in England and are flying out 16 hours each way - that has to be tough on the crews!

Thanks - its a bit more than we needed but we are all quite impressed.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-28-2003, 01:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default you think that is bad...

I saw on TV where the B-2 pilots are flying non-stop round trip from Missouri to Iraq in 36 hours....I wonder how they do this ... 2or 3 folks taking turns sleeping...on board potty..wet bar !?!
Old 03-28-2003, 02:07 PM

It's amazing what our equipment and manpower can do. I've been out for awhile but I recall be amazed at the technology back then that we (or I) didn't know about in civilian life.

Today it has to be the same way. There must be many things our country and troops have that we don't have a clue of the possibilities that our troops have in their arsenal.

You have to be 5 to 10 years ahead in technology to be ahead of the competition. So far I think we've done rather good. I only hope they can keep this type of program going.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-28-2003, 10:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Morty, The B-2 pilots(two man crew) from Whiteman use folding chaise lounge chairs they picked up at K-Mart, to lay down behind the pilot and co-pilot position to sleep in shifts (one flys one sleeps) not too sure of the potty arangements but my guess is similar to Fighter pilots with piddle pouches.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:18 PM

When I was building MK-82's in Thailand, we used to send 108ea to each and every Buff. We built, trailered, and delivered about 10 zillion trailer fulls.

108 Mk-82's and they would do it twice a day for the whole fleet of them. Lots of bombs to build. I can still see them in my dreams.