Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default USAF News - the uniform

AETCNS060607104

Commentary: Uniforms Are More Than Just Clothes

By Chief Master Sgt. Alan M. Sagocio

37th Training Group Superintendent

"LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AETCNS) -- Our uniform is more than just clothing. It, like our Nation's flag, represents strength, bravery and integrity. It's a reflection of who we are and our willingness to serve.

There are thousands of Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen serving in various locations around the world. Each day they don their uniforms and go in harm's way. Many are wounded and some give their lives.

Meanwhile, Airmen stationed at home are donating money to wear civilian clothes for the day as a way to increase morale and raise funds for squadron booster clubs. Our comrades don't have that option. Instead, they are giving their lives.

Although civilian clothes days may seem to be a well-thought-out opportunity, it really sends the wrong message to all of our brothers and sisters in uniform across our military here and abroad. While others are fighting for freedom in uniform, we at home station are willing to pay $2 not to do so for one duty day under the auspices of improving morale. What about our comrades overseas? What about their morale?

Morale is driven by attitude and attitudes are controlled by each individual. Wearing civilian attire for one day won't make a huge difference for a unit suffering from low morale. Instead, these days foster an attitude that eats away at our discipline and standards that are required each day to execute our mission. If low morale is an issue, instead of looking to civilian clothes days as a possible solution, leaders need to talk to their people and find out what is really irritating their morale.

I believe our Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airman don't mind wearing the uniform. It's the inconsistencies in leadership and a lack of understanding of our basic core values that frustrates them. Leaders who allow Airmen to pay not to wear their uniforms runs counter to our core values.

Leading from out-front with a positive attitude makes all the difference.

Let's do our part, wear our uniforms with pride, wear them sharply and embrace our basic core values.

No more civies for dollars!"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 09:58 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Agreed, I think they should have "HAT" day instead you look better in Uniform and a ball cap with your home team on it instead of AGS or MXS still would be a neat morale incentive and besides Pilots do it all the time when they fly heavies. Just my 2 cents. BTW I agree the Civvies at work doesn't look very professional and who could tell when to salute ???
Old 06-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

"civies at work..."

Inconceivable.

"Hat Day" sounds okay.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Back at Norton AFB, we requested to be allowed to wear black baseball caps with the squadron logo on it while working on the flightline instead of the regulation olive drag AF caps. We were proud of ourselves and wanted to show it off. Our squadron commander (who was a dead ringer for William Conrad of the TV show "Cannon") said it was ridiculous and to keep our minds on "the mission" instead of trivialities like which hat to wear. The guy was great for morale.

As for this wearing civies: What the heck is this? Casual Gawdamn Friday!!??
Old 06-08-2005, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Doc I agree also have you noticed every squadron now has a Unit Baseball cap and some are really tacky the CO's must have went to some college with Burgundy and Yellow as their school colours I had a AGS cap in those colours and most of us went to the BX and bought regulation woodland cami hats instead of wearing the chosen AGS hat.Then We were actually ordered to wear the AGS hat to work. Luckily it was ok not to wear hats on the flight line do to FOD hazards around Jet engines....
Old 06-09-2005, 03:42 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Jerry,

The only time were allowed to take off our caps on the flightline was when engines were actually running. Otherwise we had to keep them on at all times. Our squadron CO was anal as hell. One time, I was walking, sans cap (which was in my back pocket), back to the hangar for some parts when I was stopped by some E-7 I had never seen before. He asked me why my cap was in my pocket instead of on my head. I told him my head wouldn't fit in my pocket. He said, "If it fits up your ass, why won't if fit in your pocket!" I had to admit, he had me there, so I put it back on...until he was out of sight!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:05 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by revwardoc Jerry,

The only time were allowed to take off our caps on the flightline was when engines were actually running. Otherwise we had to keep them on at all times. Our squadron CO was anal as hell. One time, I was walking, sans cap (which was in my back pocket), back to the hangar for some parts when I was stopped by some E-7 I had never seen before. He asked me why my cap was in my pocket instead of on my head. I told him my head wouldn't fit in my pocket. He said, "If it fits up your ass, why won't if fit in your pocket!" I had to admit, he had me there, so I put it back on...until he was out of sight!
Gotta love the creative use of language among the NCO class
Old 06-09-2005, 10:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry D Doc I agree also have you noticed every squadron now has a Unit Baseball cap and some are really tacky the CO's must have went to some college with Burgundy and Yellow as their school colours I had a AGS cap in those colours and most of us went to the BX and bought regulation woodland cami hats instead of wearing the chosen AGS hat.Then We were actually ordered to wear the AGS hat to work. Luckily it was ok not to wear hats on the flight line do to FOD hazards around Jet engines....
Burgundy and yellow... USC? Boston College?

We didn't HAVE any jets to suck off our caps.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Well, Doc the Jets I worked around had a nasty habit of pulling loose hats, pens, rags, etc off of a person so Hats were not allowed around them . The Jet Mechs didn't like to blend the fan blades when some joker's metal ink pen goes thru a few stages going ping, ping like Ricochet Rabbit
Old 06-09-2005, 06:17 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry D Well, Doc the Jets I worked around had a nasty habit of pulling loose hats, pens, rags, etc off of a person so Hats were not allowed around them . The Jet Mechs didn't like to blend the fan blades when some joker's metal ink pen goes thru a few stages going ping, ping like Ricochet Rabbit
Working around operating propellers is an experience not to forget either, except that getting in the wash tends to blow stuff OFF, a w a y from the engine

Anything that gets into a propeller is, basically, cuisnarted... usually with very little noticeable effect on the blades.