The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-29-2004, 06:35 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up My Great Grand Father..........

fought as a grunt in the Civil War. I have all his albums and a sword. He was big into reunions , I have about 30 or more ribbons from about 1885 till 1909 of his reunions. I am starting to understand his joy with uniting with his fellow veterans. Peace
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2004, 06:47 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Which unit did he serve with ? I have started buying the Confederate Veteran ( published over 100 years ago ) magazine reprints from eBay and they are wonderful. Peace.

Larry
Old 04-29-2004, 07:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Well....I found a book at Stones River Battlefield that listed all Tennesseans that were in the Civil War on either side and another book that told what their units did. My great great grandfather was Maj James E Deakins and the following are some excerpts from his unit the 8th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment USA's archives: " They have no sabres or pistols. Can some be sent immediatley?" "The are primarily composed of raw, undisiplined troops." " I would suggest that the horses belonging to the 8th Tennesse Cavlary Regiment, about 250, be turned over to one of the brigades; that the regiment or part of what is left, (for want of field officers a large number have deserted and absented themselves from the regiment and the balance are demoralized and inefficient) be sent to Morristown or some other point and be placed in camp of instruction under efficient field officers." "The troops of the 8th Tennesse Cavalry are new and not fit for duty. I have no use for them." "Confederate General Vaughn reported the capture of the regimental flag on October 12, 1862." Oh, well.
They did stop repeated charges by Confederate troops at the Battle of Bulls Gap and saved the Union Artillery before the entire Union force, including them, was routed.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Don't feel bad. My g-grandfather deserted from the CSA INf. 2 months after Shiloh to join the Cavalry. Got nabbed there and put into the Battle of Atlanta with his old infantry unit..got wounded and disappeared..then in 1904 tried to get a $ 20 a month pension and got turned down. his wife got it after he died in 1922.....

Were all of your ancestors Yankees ? I had one that I know about.

Larry
Old 04-30-2004, 05:49 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Larry , he fought with the 4th New Jersey Infantry. A company of potters from Trenton NJ. Captured at Gains Mill sent to Libby Prison for awhile and parolled. He rejoined them and was wounded at Cold Harbor. After the war his passion seemed to be with reunions with his old Army buddies. After last week I understand his passion much better. Peace
Old 04-30-2004, 07:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up My Great Grand Father

Fought with the 10th Illinois Infantry Regiment. From the start of the war until it's conclusion.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/history/010.htm

is the website for my Great Grandfather's Regiment.

SGT Francis Marion Harrison

The Harrisons had arrived at Jamestown in Virginia before the pilgrims but eventually migrated West into Indiana and Illinois by the time of the Civil War. After the War took his Family West into Oregon. His Father, my great, great, grandfather was a Mountain Man and had come West long before the Civil War. He died in Roseberry, ID (Long Valley) and is buried on his Farm.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up A CIVIL WAR

My Mom's Da, Thomas Conor O'Driscoll, fought in the 1916 Uprising in Dublin, Ireland. He was part of the Provincial IRA from Donegal. They came down to join the fray when the Rebels took over the Dublin Post Office and posted a proclamation declaring Ireland's independence from England. The Brits sent in troops and shelled the city from the harbor. Luckily they were also busy fighting the Germans, or it could have been worse. The Rebels lost the battle but, eventually, won the war. Ireland was granted it's independence in 1922......all except the 6 counties of Northern Ireland. They're still being fought over today, in a sense. Ireland has been Britain's Vietnam.

UP THE REPUBLIC!!