The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Navy

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2020, 01:46 PM

Arrow Esper says he’s willing to consider reinstating former commander of USS Theodore Roos

Esper says he’s willing to consider reinstating former commander of USS Theodore Roosevelt
By: Caitlin M. Keddey - Stars & Stripes - 4-10-20
Re: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/espe...evelt-1.625588

WASHINGTON— Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Friday that he is willing to consider reinstating Capt. Brett Crozier as commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, pending the outcome of an investigation.

“No further action will be taken against Capt. Crozier until the investigation is completed. And once that’s completed, we’ll see where that takes us. And so we’ve taken nothing off the table,” Esper said Friday during an interview with CBS This Morning.

Crozier was relieved of his command of the Roosevelt on April 2 by former acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly after the captain emailed at least 20 people requesting help for the coronavirus outbreak aboard the aircraft carrier. Crozier’s letter was leaked to the media.

As of Friday, 447 sailors from the ship have tested positive for the coronavirus. About 3,155 sailors of the 4,800 member crew have been moved ashore in Guam where the ship is in port due to the outbreak, according to the Navy.

Modly resigned Tuesday after his speech to the Roosevelt crew that included calling Crozier stupid surfaced online a day earlier. James McPherson, who had been the acting Army undersecretary, was appointed by Esper to be the acting Navy secretary.

Adm. Robert Burke, vice chief of naval operations, is investigating Crozier’s decision to email the letter as well as the climate across the Pacific Fleet to determine why there was a breakdown in the chain of command.

Esper said he is waiting for the Navy’s recommendations from the investigation.

“My inclination is to always support the chain of command and to take their recommendations seriously. So, we’ll see how that plays out,” he said. “At some point here in the coming days, they will come to me and share with me their findings and recommendations.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: Reinstatement would be fine with me but the Skipper did go outside protocol and may get a notation on his records - but he should be given reinstatement if you ask me. That would also take a lot of heat off the Navy Dept. It could've been handled better without the world watching.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links