Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Women Patriots

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2021, 08:22 AM

Thumbs up USS Constitution honors 1st female chief petty officer

USS Constitution honors 1st female chief petty officer
By: The Associated Press & Daily Main 03-22-21
Re: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap...y-officer.html

1st Photo link: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/03...44_634x698.jpg
This 1917 photo released by the U.S. Navy shows the Navy's first female Chief Petty Officer Loretta Perfectus Walsh, who enlisted in 1917. On Sunday, March 21, 2021, one of the cannons aboard the USS Constitution, the world's oldest commissioned warship still afloat, was named "Perfectus" in honor of Walsh. (U.S. Navy via AP)

BOSTON (AP) - The U.S.S. Constitution named one of its cannons in honor of the first woman to serve as a chief petty officer in the Navy.

The 24-pound long gun was named Perfectus after Loretta Perfectus Walsh during a ceremony in Boston on Sunday marking Women's History Month, the Navy said in a statement.

Walsh was sworn in as the Navy´s first chief petty officer on March 21, 1917.

"Loretta Perfectus Walsh has made it possible for all women to serve in the military," Command Senior Chief Angela Collins said. "I get to be here because of the women who have gone before me, and I get the honor to serve with amazing women every single day."

Four of the warship´s female crew members gave a presentation on the significance of Walsh´s service.

"To talk about Loretta Perfectus Walsh´s life holds great meaning for me and everyone around us," Seaman Katrina Mastrolia said. "It gives me hope and determination to face the boundaries that I have in my life today."

The U.S.S Constitution, also known as Old Ironsides, is the world´s oldest commissioned warship afloat, and played a crucial role in the Barbary Wars and the War of 1812, actively defending sea lanes from 1797 until 1855. The ship was undefeated in battle and destroyed or captured 33 enemy vessels.

It earned its nickname during the War of 1812 when British cannonballs were seen bouncing off its wooden hull.

Early sailors frequently named the guns on their ships.

And although there are no records for the original names of the U.S.S. Constitution's guns, some have been given names based on records from her sister ships. These include Brother Jonathan, True Blue, Yankee Protection, Putnam, Raging Eagle, Viper, General Warren, Mad Anthony, America, Washington, Liberty for Ever, Defiance, and Liberty or Death.

The U.S.S. Constitution´s modern cannons are replicas dating to 1920.

2nd photo link: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/03...87_634x664.jpg
This 1917 photo released by the U.S. Navy shows the Navy's first female Chief Petty Officer Loretta Perfectus Walsh, who enlisted in 1917. On Sunday, March 21, 2021, one of the cannons aboard the USS Constitution, the world's oldest commissioned warship still afloat, was named "Perfectus" in honor of Walsh. (U.S. Navy via AP)

3rd photo link: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/03...34_634x422.jpg
FILE - In this Aug. 29, 2014, file photo, the USS Constitution, with its topsails unfurled, is towed through Boston Harbor past Boston's financial district skyline. On Sunday, March 21, 2021, one of the cannons aboard the USS Constitution, the world's oldest commissioned warship still afloat, was named "Perfectus" in honor of Loretta Perfectus Walsh, the Navy's first female Chief Petty Officer who enlisted in 1917. (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia, File)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: Now this is one for the record books - Well Done: Chief Petty Officer LOretta Perfectus Walsh!
-
Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links