by: Staff Sgt. Brian Stives
501st Combat Support Wing PA
published: March 08, 2013

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

RAF CROUGHTON, United Kingdom* -- Twelve members of the Aynho Conservative Club (ACE) and Rotary Club of Brackley received an in-depth tour of RAF Croughton March 5.

While many people in the communities of Aynho, Croughton and Evenley may drive by RAF Croughton on a daily basis, they never thought they would have an opportunity to see what goes on behind the gates of the base.

"We were just, in English terms, gobsmacked," said Irene Childerly, Aynho Conservative Club secretary and organizer of the tour in the local communities. "We were amazed at how professional and organized everything was and the fact that you opened it up for us to see - that you allowed us to come onto the base and see what goes on is amazing."

"Today was a great opportunity for us to showcase what we do here in the 422nd Communications Squadron at RAF Croughton to the local community by getting them inside our gates," said Master Sgt. Otis Owens, 422nd CS satellite communications NCOIC and organizer of the tour for RAF Croughton. "RAF Croughton is a unique site because of the missions performed here and we were eager to showcase ourselves to the community."

Stops on the tour included the 422nd Communications headquarters, the cyber transport office, Building 180 (PL/1 SATCOM facility), known in the community as the golf ball, and the World War II type 'C' fighter pens.

"We opened all of the closets and doors and let the local community in," said Owens. "We told them exactly what we can do at RAF Croughton from high-frequency ground to satellite communications and from the cyber transport ability to our heritage hall, which has systems from the 70s."

"The satellite was definitely 'wow,' and I didn't know what was inside the ball," said Childerly. "I've seen lots of satellites, but I didn't know it was just a covering. From a personal standpoint, I think that was fantastic.

"To know this base is so important to the world-wide efforts and how important it is as a European hub for all of the communication going on world-wide is really just quite amazing," said Childerly. "I think the impression from everybody on the tour is that it is incredibly important and also that the relationship between the base and community is very strong and wants to continue to be strong. It was just amazing."

The ACE is a branch of the Conservative Party and links the villages of Aynho, Croughton and Evenley together. They are an active branch which holds activities throughout the year and campaigns for their local Conservative Councillors and Member of Parliament.

Tags: 422nd Communications Squadron, Aynho Conservative Club, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, Rotary Club of Brackley, News
Related Content:

RAF Croughton tour astonishes local community leaders

by: Staff Sgt. Brian Stives
501st Combat Support Wing PA
published:

Share This:

Tweet

Comments
Email
Print

RAF CROUGHTON, United Kingdom* -- Twelve members of the Aynho Conservative Club (ACE) and Rotary Club of Brackley received an in-depth tour of RAF Croughton March 5.

While many people in the communities of Aynho, Croughton and Evenley may drive by RAF Croughton on a daily basis, they never thought they would have an opportunity to see what goes on behind the gates of the base.

"We were just, in English terms, gobsmacked," said Irene Childerly, Aynho Conservative Club secretary and organizer of the tour in the local communities. "We were amazed at how professional and organized everything was and the fact that you opened it up for us to see - that you allowed us to come onto the base and see what goes on is amazing."

"Today was a great opportunity for us to showcase what we do here in the 422nd Communications Squadron at RAF Croughton to the local community by getting them inside our gates," said Master Sgt. Otis Owens, 422nd CS satellite communications NCOIC and organizer of the tour for RAF Croughton. "RAF Croughton is a unique site because of the missions performed here and we were eager to showcase ourselves to the community."

Stops on the tour included the 422nd Communications headquarters, the cyber transport office, Building 180 (PL/1 SATCOM facility), known in the community as the golf ball, and the World War II type 'C' fighter pens.

"We opened all of the closets and doors and let the local community in," said Owens. "We told them exactly what we can do at RAF Croughton from high-frequency ground to satellite communications and from the cyber transport ability to our heritage hall, which has systems from the 70s."

"The satellite was definitely 'wow,' and I didn't know what was inside the ball," said Childerly. "I've seen lots of satellites, but I didn't know it was just a covering. From a personal standpoint, I think that was fantastic.

"To know this base is so important to the world-wide efforts and how important it is as a European hub for all of the communication going on world-wide is really just quite amazing," said Childerly. "I think the impression from everybody on the tour is that it is incredibly important and also that the relationship between the base and community is very strong and wants to continue to be strong. It was just amazing."

The ACE is a branch of the Conservative Party and links the villages of Aynho, Croughton and Evenley together. They are an active branch which holds activities throughout the year and campaigns for their local Conservative Councillors and Member of Parliament.

Tags: 422nd Communications Squadron, Aynho Conservative Club, RAF Alconbury, RAF Croughton, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Molesworth, Rotary Club of Brackley, News
Related Content:

More...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links