The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2003, 03:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Give That Man a Medal

Give That Man a Medal
Here's another one of those odd congressional dissents. Yesterday, amid the debate over Iraq funding, the Senate passed a resolution "to express the Sense of the Senate that the Global War on Terrorism medal should be awarded expeditiously to members of the Armed Forces serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom, and Operation Noble Eagle." The vote was 97-1.

So who was the lone dissenter? Well, we'll give you a hint: All 50 Republicans present voted "yes." So did all 47 Democrats. That leaves only Sen. Jim Jeffords, the Republican-turned-independent from Vermont, who abandoned not only his old party but the one he usually supports now.

One wonders what exactly was his objection to this resolution. Is he against giving servicemen medals, or does he just want it to be done slowly?

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2003, 03:45 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Suggestion

Instead of a medal, howzabout we just give him a boot in the ass?

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-18-2003, 09:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

Or how about a boot to the head?

"Without me, the war will go on. With me, it could end." - me

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

"Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto."
(I bring not the rays of the sun but the thunderbolts of Jupiter)

Old 10-18-2003, 10:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Yup... and then I'd like to hear exactly what his rationale actually could possible have been.

By the way, anybody know the colors or design chosen for this new ribbon and medal?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gunner Carvo Send a message via MSN to Gunner Carvo Send a message via Yahoo to Gunner Carvo
Distinctions
Contributor 

It took a year for them to come up with a design for the Kosovo Campaign medal. No one really knew what it was going to look like until my ship got a box of them.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - JFK

Old 10-18-2003, 10:17 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Gunner -
Welcome home, from that one...

What DID your Kosovo medal look like?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:24 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Big blue stripe, small red/white/blue stripes, big red stripe, all vertical. Mine has two stars on it for the air campaign (launching missiles) and the defense campaign (protecting Battlegroup during the end). I never saw the land of Kosovo, but those cigarette boats still made some people sh!t themselves whenever they got too close.

Old 10-19-2003, 06:25 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Gunner -
Naive naval question from a zoomie (I usually have to jump in a fightin' hole when I ask stuff like this, but what the hell, I dug it)... does the cigarette boat replace the old PT boat? If so, is it better or about the same, and if so or if not, in what way(s)?
Old 10-19-2003, 10:09 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I don't mind. I'm using to answering questions about how things are compared to when most on here were active duty.

A "cigarette boat" is any small, fast boat that usually has an inboard motor. They are made to haul ass with hardly anything to them. Some drug-smugglers use them to run drugs in the Carribean. They usually have some bad ass V-8 thrown in a shitty hull. If they have to sink it to avoid getting busted, it's easily replaced.

Our Captain said to sink ANYTHING that got within 500 yards of us. They would get right to limit and turn away when we were in the Mediterranean during Kosovo. Damn the bad luck...

Old 10-20-2003, 11:34 AM

High speed pencil!!!
Bluehawk remember 007 racing down the cannels in Viennce I think! Something like that. Small - sleek and plenty quick.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"