Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Here are a few sayings, followed by who said it

Locksley
10 Point
Member # 1548

posted 02-15-2006 03:15 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few sayings, followed by who said it or where it came from..
They make sense too..

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.

"Aim towards the Enemy." - Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." - U.S. Marine Corps

"Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground." - U.S. Air Force

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." -Infantry Journal

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Manual

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - Gen. Macarthur

"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo." - Infantry Journal

"You, you, and you . . . Panic. The rest of you, come with me." - U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.

"Tracers work both ways." - U.S. Army Ordnance

"Five second fuses only last three seconds." - Infantry Journal

"Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last, and don't ever volunteer to do anything." - U. S Navy Swabbie

"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - David Hackworth

"If your attack is going too well, you're walking into an ambush." - Infantry Journal

"No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection." - Joe Gay

"Any ship can be a minesweeper... once." - Anon

"Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do." - Unknown Marine Recruit

"Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you." -Your Buddies

Sure therapy helps, but screaming obscenities is cheaper!

--------------------
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;"The greatest pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much, and power over nothing" - Herodotus

Bobby Williamson
14 Point
Member # 1860

posted 02-15-2006 09:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YUP YUP AND H### YEAH

--------------------
Rifle shoot coming,,,,,
VISIT:WWW.GAYSFORREMINGTON.COM
Team Green in their green Tights !

Posts: 7515 | From: BOWLING GREEN KY | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

Hogbear
4 Point
Member # 4772

posted 02-15-2006 10:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Locksley:

"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Manual

Yup. That happened to a guy I know in Desert Storm. They beat the snot out of him when he hit the ground and later one of his interrogators broke his leg with a steel pipe. Another saying of his after that was "Don't make more than one attack from the same direction." He got shot down on his third bombing run at the same target after he had problems getting a solution on the first two runs.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...,78871,00.html

Gulf War POW Recalls Torture by Iraqis

Tuesday, February 18, 2003

TULSA, Okla. ? Marine Maj. Craig Berryman can't shake the memory of his 37 days as an Iraqi prisoner of war.

The Cleveland, Okla., native says a day hasn't passed in the last 12 years that he hasn't thought of how Iraqi soldiers tortured, kicked and starved him in 1991.

Iraqi guards broke Berryman's left leg, beat him repeatedly and threatened him with shooting and mutilation. A lighted cigarette was twisted into an open wound on his neck, and his requests for medical attention were ignored.

He lost 25 pounds in 37 days and caught a case of dysentery that lasted two years and is likely to cause him digestive tract problems the rest of his life.

When Berryman returned, a World War II POW warned the young Marine pilot he would never forget the experience.

"He said there would not be a day go by I didn't think about it," Berryman told the Tulsa World in a telephone interview from his home in Florida. "At first I really didn't believe him. But in the 12 years since, he's been right."

Berryman was a captain when he was shot down near Kuwait City on Jan. 28, 1991. Now he's assigned to a staff job analyzing coordination of joint forces, making it unlikely he would go to the Middle East if the United States invades Iraq.

"I'd be the first to go if I could, but my job means I'm probably not going," he said.

"There have been days I'd like to go after some of them for what they did to me. Some days I'm happy to have survived and have my honor intact. There are a lot of emotions. I have some unfinished business over there."

Last April, Berryman was among 16 Gulf War POWs and their families to file a lawsuit in Washington, D.C., against the Iraqi government and President Saddam Hussein. The lawsuit asks for $25 million in actual damages for each of the POWs and $5 million for each of 21 family members, plus $300 million in punitive damages.

Iraq refused to participate in the lawsuit. A decision is expected in late spring or early summer.

The document says Iraq violated the Geneva Convention agreement on the treatment of POWs and is liable under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, which allows civil judgments against certain countries known to sponsor terrorist activity. Iraq is on that list.

"I had so much hatred for those guys," said Berryman. "I was thinking so much about how much I hated them for what they were doing to me I wasn't concentrating on what we were trained to do, to plan escape and staying alive.

"I prayed I would have the physical strength and the mental ability to do that, and fortunately I did."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM

MACV Commander, General Weyand, in his final statement at a joint ceremony before departure from Vietnam on March 29, 1973: "Our mission has been accomplished."
Old 02-27-2006, 05:54 PM

Well that was good news, apparently Weyend was the only one who knew what the mission was.
We get heavier as we get older because there is a lot more information in our heads. So I\'m just really intelligent and my head coudn\'t hold anymore so it started filling up the rest of me. That\'s my story and I\'m sticking to it.

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:09 AM.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Robert J Ryan

Yup the ole FACE TOWARD ENEMY ON THE CLAYMORES.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:51 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by rotorwash Well that was good news, apparently Weyend was the only one who knew what the mission was.
Rotor
ROTFLMAO!!
Well I guess THATS finally settled!
Stay good
James
Old 03-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Joint ceremony? I've been on a few of those. It's kind of like a tea ceremony except you set the tea leaves on fire then put burning leaves in your mouth and inhale the smoke. We were taught the burning leaves part by the Indians. They thought it would get rid of us.