The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2002, 01:33 AM

Default Apple bomb...

I have just seen a program on TV's History Channel (Great show!), they were talking about WWII in the Pacific theater at about the time the U.S. dropped the 1st H-bomb on Japan. I have a side light to this story my Dad had told me. This is one of those pieces of history that really don't mean anything in the scheme of things, but sheds an incite to the moment that is really telling...
My Dad PFC. Merle E. Layport was in the 25th DIV with the 35th INF. REG, they were in the Philippines. They had taking the island months ago, where Dad was wounded. Now that the island was under control, his unit was practicing squad movements on bunkers in preparation to the invasion of the Japanese mainland. They had been practicing about half the day and were evaluating the practice movement. When a LT came over with a special announcement. "The U.S. had dropped a single atomic bomb on Japan"! ...There was silence, and it was soon clear nobody was impressed with this event. After all that was the big deal with one bomb? SO the LT started to explain the power of the atom to a bunch of G.I.s setting in the jungle. He indicated "that if you could take an atom from an apple and harness the power in that atom you could power New York city"! My Dad's best friend turn to him and asked " You mean we dropped a bomb made out of a GAWD DAMN Apple on the Japs"?