The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Jungle

while walking a valley we came accross a small hill. on top of this small hill I could see the jungle that was in front of us, the valley opened up as it went up a double mountain. Comming off the top of these two mountains was a fog like thing that headed down the valley to the floor in front of us. The jungle was so thick you could hardly see the sky and then the fog. The area was the spookiest place on earth and we walked right into it. We walked for a couple hours in the fog and decided to stop. I was so glad we stoped, I couldn't see the guy in front of me and we were only 5 feet from each other. The fog all of a sudden lifted and and we were at the edge of a clearing with a small cercular garden, no one around and not a sound, not one sound, anywhere?? I was so glade to walk out of that place. The next day BN wanted us to set up a night ambush in that fog.
One of companies got hit and we had to CA out of there, we never went back to that area, no arguement from me.
Somewhere around Duc Pho.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2004, 06:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Mountains

As you know Ron , since you been around there , the clouds come down on a mountain around Khe Shan.Since I lost my 4.2 mortor track to a 120 mm and the guys I sent back to get another set it on fire and totalled it cooking with C-4 , the Squadron Cdr. sent me and the track driver on a hill far away. We sat in a hole and broke squlech all night , we could hear them walking by. Only thing saved us was the clouds coming down. They landed a chopper on top of the same hill to take us out the next morning and not a shot fired.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:23 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default sit-rep

negative break squelsh twice.
Yea the area around Kay was not nice either. But I don't recall being spooked by the woods like in Duc Pho. I guess I didn't have as much time to think about it around 9.

Ron
Old 08-22-2004, 11:09 AM

I remember the monsoons would roll into the DMZ . I have been around a bit but never saw rains like that ( or maybe didn't have to live in it 24 hours day )
When the rains slowed , fog muffled everything , helos didn't fly , the war got quiet and we still went on patrols day and night , searching for the NVA . A strange, eerie, silent colorless land .
Our 782 (web gear ) was soaked and galled us even worse than usual . We shivered in our moisture blackened jungle utes and dreamed about getting back to Con Thien to heat up a c-rat can of powdered coffee.

This last week I was camped in the mountains watching the early fall rains and thinking about the rains of the Nam . Have this little gas stove and drinking hot , strong coffee. Have a good woman who knows the moods and lets me work them out .
Old 08-22-2004, 01:39 PM

Sorry for rambling . Getting old . Time to let those old memories go.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:25 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Grunt66

Been there , am there. We are very lucky people. You ain't rambling , your talking to people that been there. Keep talking bro.Welcome home.We have walked the same ground
Old 08-22-2004, 02:37 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Ron.

As I started reading this, I thought the punchline was going to be somewhere in the Central Highlands. I don't recall having that feeling much around Duc Pho, but I entered several places around Dak To and Kontum that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Grunt66.

You get on here and ramble all you want. Always enjoy your posts. I know all about those good women. They're hard to come by, though. Hang on to her. I have mine for 36yrs..

PS: Where you at in WY? My daughter lived in Jackson for 8yrs.. We lived in SLC, UT, for alot of those years. Spent alot of time up there.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:18 AM

Default Wyo

South of Rawlins in North Platte valley. Very small town .