The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2005, 12:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Warning To All Patriotfile Members!

WARNING TO ALL PATRIOTFILE MEMBERS!

After posting the piece about the movie "FAHRENHEIT 911" this morning, I had to leave the house for a bit. When I got home, I had the following e-mail on my unit.

I then called the FBI (local office) and was advised that they knew of this letter but said that the FBI had nothing to do with it! They also said that they were on top of it and would take appropriate action!

This type of BS, especially in a time of war, is not funny, as those who perpetrated this may soon find out! Freedom of Speech can not (and must not) fall victim to pranksters or even the system itself!! For were this to occur, we ourselves (along with our liberties) could fall prey to people gone mad!!

This is not 1939 Germany or Cold War Russia.... Our kids are fighting and dying (just as most upon this site served) to protect, our system of rights and responsibilities! Let no man, entity or fool, do to any American what was attempted here!!

PS - As I restrict my writing to but to a small group of benign sites, this attempt at harassment is way off base, and indeed actionable, as the FBI related to me!! "No site that I have ever gone upon is illegal!" As such, whomever orchestrated the ploy (below), may soon themselves learn what Big Brother is all about?

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 7:11 AM
Subject: You_visit_illegal_websites

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> we have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.
>
> Important:
> Please answer our questions!
> The list of questions are attached.
>
>
> Yours faithfully,
> Steven Allison
>
>
>
> *** Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
> *** 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 3220
> *** Washington, DC 20535
> *** phone: (202) 324-3000
Naturally, I did not open the attachment, for as a highly decorated veteran once told me: "It is not how you die that counts, but rather how you lived!"

"I AM NOT THAT HARD TO FIND!!"

VERITAS
Old 12-03-2005, 12:47 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Rick...

It's a computerworm that has been out there for awhile.

Computer Worm Posing as Fake FBI E-Mail

By Dave Porter

(AXcess News) Washington - The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said a new variant of the W32.Sober computer virus was being circulated over the Internet as an attachment in e-mail sent to users using an FBI email address. The FBI is warning anyone who receives an unsolicited e-mail from the FBI accusing them of visiting illegal websites not to click on the attachment.

TheFBI target=_blank>issued a warning tothe public to "avoid falling victim to an on-going mass e-mail scheme wherein computer users received unsolicited e-mails purportedly sent by the FBI."

These scam e-mails tell the recipients that their Internet use has been monitored by the FBI and that they have accessed illegal web sites. The e-mails then direct recipients to open an attachment and answer questions.

The FBI said "the e-mail appears to be sent from the e-mail addresses of mail @fbi.gov, post @fbi.gov and admin @fbi.gov."

The W32.Sober computer worm quickly spreads through computer users contacts foldersdelivering the virus to everyone intheir address book, making the worm's virus populate rapidly across the Internet.

Norton antivirus provider, Symantec Corp. listed the computer worm target=_blank>w32.sober.X on Saturday. Both the FBI and CIA issued warnings to computer users Tuesday. Symantec said there are already several new variations of the mass mailing W32.Sober worm circulating on the Internet.

_TF_link="true">W32.Sober.X@mm is a mass-mailing worm that uses its own SMTP engine to spread and lowers security settings. It sends itself as an email attachment to addresses gathered from the compromised computer. The email may be in either target=_blank>English or target=_blank>German.

target=_blank>TrendMicro reported that the W32.Sober worm was also spreading through Brazil, Canada, New Zealand, Belgium and Germany. The anti-virus software maker rated the W32.Sober worm a "medium" risk but also noted that the damage potential was "high."

TrendMicro said, since its email propagation does not require any user intervention, affected users are often unaware that this worm is sending out email messages from their machines.

TM also stated that the message isn't necessarily from the FBI or CIA. Like other mass-mailers, this worm utilizes social engineering techniques, such as promises of celebrity pictures or alerts regarding alleged illicit behavior, in order to entice users into opening the attached worm copy on the email messages it sends.

Similarly, one of the German e-mail messages spoofs Bundeskriminalamt, and threatens legal action against the user's alleged downloads of films, software, and MP3 files.

The Sober worm is also known as CME-681, WORM_SOBER.AG [Trend Micro], W32/Sober-{X, Z} [Sophos], Win32.Sober.W [Computer Associates], Sober.Y [F-Secure], W32/Sober@MM!M681 [McAfee], W32/Sober.AA@mm [Norman].

Systems being infected are Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003 andWindows XP.

The Sober worm overwrites the file luall.exe with a copy of itself so that the worm will run each time LiveUpdated is launched.

This worm is also capable of terminating processes that contain certain target=_blank>strings. Moreover, it searches the process list of the affected system for mrt.exe, the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool process. If found, it terminates the said process thus making the system more vulnerable to malicious attacks.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:53 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Thanks Arrow!

Rick
Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

No problem. Good free firewall is Zone Alarm. Good free antivirus is Grisoft. Good free adware program is Ad-Aware. I delete all cookies and history each time I leave the internet. So far so good. David says I probably have one of the cleanest machines in the country he also said it's so oldwe probably couldn't get parts for it.

Arrow>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 12-03-2005, 02:34 PM

Oddly enough, I haven't received any of these type e-mails at the two addresses I frequently use, but several different ones were recently sent to an address I check every couple months.

There are several versions out there, ala "here's my new e-mail address".

Remember the rule: If it sounds, feels, tastes, smells or looks like BS, guess what it probably is.

Happy surfing to all of you accused criminal out there,
Grace of the North

Last edited by 82Rigger; 07-14-2008 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

It just amazes me that some damned fools would claim to be someone in power merely to pull off a ruse! If caught, people like the one(s) who wrote that tripe should be tared and feathered!

VERITAS
Old 12-04-2005, 06:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I got a similar one at work, but claimed to be the CIA and there was a zip file form to be opened and filled out. Easy answer to that...... delete. I reckon if the spooks want to talk to me, they know where I'm at.

Scamp
Old 12-04-2005, 10:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

What Scamp said
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 AM

Amen, Brotherfriend!

Here's a test to go by:

The real spooks probably wouldn't find e-mail an intimidating enough medium to get their message across to anyone they really wanted to go after, so...

...if you are intimidated by e-mail messages, the spooks are not after you.

But folks that are brainless enough to open such a thing wouldn't get the paradox, anyway
Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Hell, the Honorable Spooks not only know where you live, they probably have data on how many times y'all shake it after you urinate, what side you part your hair on, what brand of beer or cola you drink, whether you pray at night, and even if you pick your nose? "NO MAYBE ABOUT IT, NOT PARANOIA, JUST FACT!"

So God bless our mighty little spooks! If they are ever in the neighborhood (considering my writing) - and I am sure that they have been, they can always stop in and I will buy them a cup of java!!

"And if this sounds a little far-fetched to you, let me relate a little story from my past...."

"Some years ago, I wrote a piece for a local rag up in the Big Valley. In it, I legally chastised a national politico for his actions that I personally thought were out of line!" (My constitutionally guaranteed - personal opinions of course!)

I then sent a copy of the piece to that politician in question (a really nice guy in most categories), and received a nice letter back telling me how great the First Amendment was!

Well to make a long story short, within a week or so after sending that letter, I received a call from my employer, my wife's church, and a neighbor telling me that they had been contacted with questions about me!! (WOW)

Well, these guys are just doing their jobs, be it sometimes in an intimidating and even threatening fashion, and for this I hold no grudge. Besides, I find it somewhat humorous, if not flattering that in one breath - the First Amendment can be saluted, and in the next discouraged by certain powers that be!!

VERITAS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bucs flag.jpg (46.6 KB, 87 views)