Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2003, 12:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default U.S. to go after Hamas?

Reuters
Sunday, June 15, 2003; 10:35 AM
By Lori Santos

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A leading Republican lawmaker said on Sunday U.S. forces may have to help "root out terrorism" in the Middle East conflict between Israel and the Palestinians, including taking aim at Hamas.
In an interview on "Fox News Sunday," Sen. Richard Lugar, the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said American forces might be part of an international force to help stop attacks by Hamas, the main group behind a campaign of suicide bombings against Israelis, and other groups.
Hamas has said it would reject any peace deal between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.
Lugar said such a force could be used to quell Israeli and Palestinian disputes, "and, maybe even more important, to root out the terrorism that is at the heart of the problem."
Asked if that meant such troops would go after Hamas or other groups, he said, "That may be the conclusion."
"...It may not be just Hamas but clearly Hamas is right in the gunsights," he added.

"DON'T UNDERESTIMATE PRESIDENT BUSH"

"...The terrorist aspect really has to be dealt with and that's why I say don't underestimate President Bush," Lugar said.

Except for; I know how the Bush haters and some Demoncrats are going to go after this one. Considering the source of the report, I think it is a subtle ploy to weaken Bush's support. The media are supposed to report the news, not pick and choose stories for political effect.
That's not to say it won't happen.