The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Restoring old rifle

11BRAVO, you asked about restoring an old mauser you found. First take it to a gunsmith and see if it is worth restoring. Most WWII mausers are a dime a dozen but some are valuable. I recently customized a 1918 Carl Gustav model 94 in 6.5X55 into a hunting rifle and spent about $750 on it.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2003, 02:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I have a gun safe full of restored Mausers, my favorite being 7.65mm Argentine Mauser topped with a 3 x 9 Redfield. Can split a gnats ass hairs at 600 meters.

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:50 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
When I was a kid I got a Springfield 1903-A3 and restored it. It cost me 350 bucks back in the sixties. Bishop stock, fiber glass bed, drilled and tap for scope, 3 X 9 Scope, adjustable trigger, bent bolt, etc. Still my favorite hunting rifle. But, I could have got a Remington or Winchester with the works for about 250 bucks back in the sixties. Oh well restorations aren't cheap. I always wanted to restore (sporterize) one of the Mausers.

Keith
Old 01-26-2003, 03:14 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default 1863 Confederate Springfield

I have an old .58 caliber musket. On the lock plate it is stamped 1863 CS Richmond. I took it to a gunsmith and had him check it out. He said it was safe to fire. I have fired it on a couple of occasions. What a feeling to sight down the barrel and think what Yank may have been on the business end of that barrel 140 odd years ago.

At any rate, it looked like hell. I asked around about how to restore it. I swear it looked like either varnish or black paint was on it. I stripped all the old finish off of it and then got a hold of what was called "true oil." I hand rubbed the stock from nose to butt plate for weeks on end. Finally it came out absolutely gorgeous. One of the things I like the best was that with the old finish it was hard to distinguish anything on the stock. Once, the old finish was off and the new one was on, stamped letters and numbers were clearly visible along with a repair that was made near the nose piece. Someone had cut out a piece of wood about 1 by 3 inches that was not visible til I took the old stuff off. It was a different kind of wood, much darker. Just using the true oil to work into the wood grain made the patch easier to see. But that's the way I like it. I gives that old musket some character.

Whoever had it must have been shorter than normal, the barrel is about 6 inches shorter than it should be and it has a home made site on the tip of the barrel. Other than that it is in great shape and my pride and joy.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 01-26-2003, 05:44 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default help with some old guns I have neglected...

they are a .410 pump-shotgun ( about 40 years old ), a 12 guage double-barrel ( about 80 years old ) and a .30/30 ( about 35 years old ). I did a lot of hunting with my Dad before 'Nam. When I got back I lost all interest, and most of you know why. Last time I really went hunting was in 1973...deer hunting with my father-in-law and the wind chill was about -5 F. Anyhow, the .410 and the shotgun have a lot of rust that is visible. They are small spots. I know I need some special stuff to get started. The .30/30 was my Dad's and I have never fired it and maybe it has been fired 20 times altogether. Thanks for all the great advice !

Larry AKA "MORTARDUDE THE BERSERKER"
Old 01-27-2003, 08:03 AM

Catman, you interested in selling that 7.65 Argentine? I been looking for another for years now. Nobody around here seems to have one ... 'cept what they won't sell/trade/barter.

And much to my astonishment, many sellers at local gun shows claim to have never heard of it. A couple even tried to tell me it didn't exist. lol

The Old Sarge
Old 01-27-2003, 08:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question Just how many calibers did the . . . . .

Just how many calibers did the old mausers come in? I've heard of the 8 mm, 7mm, 7.65, are there any others and what is the best caliber for general hunting?

I think it would be fun to restore an old gun once again.

Keith :cd:
Old 01-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Mausers

they were also produced in 6.5X55, 303 british, 308, and 30-06 that I know of. The Mauser action is probably the most copied action in the world. As far as hunting the 6.5X55 is my choice, One of the best deer rounds I have ever seen, second choice would be the 7X57. My 6.5 shoots < MOA with 125 and < 1/2 MOA with 140 grain bullets.

Still, my hunting buddy is my Browning BLR 81 (lever action) .308 topped with a 4 power Swarovski scope. It is fun to build a gun, Kind of like when we were kids building hot rods, Just to see how accurate you can get a particular rifle. I have a Savage model 12 BVSS in .223 that will shoot less than a quarter of an inch at 100 yards. Best shot so far is a groundhog at 362 yards.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking A Bench Rest in the back of a Pick-Up

A bench rest in the back of a pick up. I thought you guys were talking about shooting off-hand. And I thought you guys were good.

Seriously that's a cool pic.

Keith
Old 01-27-2003, 10:51 AM

Default Tamaroa

You shouldn't have restored that CS Richmond. It used to be worth about $12,000.00 in the condition you found it in. Now, it might be worth $8,000.00. Get some rubbing alcohol and get that "Tru-oil" off the wood. Leave the wood plain. Light cleaning of the metal is ok but stay away from re-bluing/re-finishing. Cleaning the bore is ok but why take a chance of destroying it? Buy a contract rifle(bridesburg or some other make) and shoot that.