Old 05-26-2005, 02:04 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Post Passing of Maj Gen George S. Patton -USA & SCV

An Email I received about the passing of a Famous Soldier ,see below :
THe Passing of Maj Gen George S. Patton - SCV

Dear Compatriots,

I have some sad news to pass along. One of our camp members had crossed over
the river, under the shade of the trees.....
I have learned from our SCV HQ today that....Compatriot, Major General
retired George Smith Patton had passed away last month, on June 27, 2004.

I have not gotten all the details as of yet, but I will be contacting his
family this week.

As you my remember, General Patton had joined our camp last year, when our
Buffalo Guards Camp 1975, had paid for his Life, SCV membership - after he has
been inactive for many years. Our Buffalo Guards Camp 1975, did not want him
to be forgotten or left behind
We were honored to pay for his Life membership for the service he did for
his country, and for his proud family name and for the many years he served in
our SCV ranks.

He was the son of General George S Patton of WW2 - and the Great great
grandson of Colonel George Smith Patton, who commander the 22nd VA Infantry of the
Kanawha Valley, in the western counties of Virginia.

Also though he passed away, he was a life member in the SCV. Compatriot
Patton was in poor depleting health for some time. He would have been very proud
to know that so many of his comrades that served under him during his
military service (and the Vietnam era) respected him, as well as his fellow
compatriots in the SCV.

His wife was very honored that our Buffalo Guards Camp was interested in
having him as an honored life member, and was very thankful, and gave us praise.

I only wish that I would have had the opportunity to meet the general
personally, or was able to talk to him when he was in better health.

I will be putting in a special dedication in our Picket Post, newsletter in
honor to Compatriot Patton, as well as submitting a story to the CV magazine
about his ancestors, whom my very ancestor, who served in the 36th VA
Infantry had served with Colonel Patton of the 22nd VA Infantry (Since these two
units were brigaded together for nearly the whole conflict).

Please keep Compatriot George Smith Patton (MG Retired), in your prayers,
as well as his widow and surviving family.

I will try to contact them, to offer our condolences and to offer any help.
It is the leased we can do after hearing about this news several weeks after
his passing.

More news when I get it.

I will have it posted on our message board, and in the Picket Post, for more
details.
and our website: _www.DixieResearch.com_ (http://www.DixieResearch.com)
Any questions contact me any time....

Your Obedient Servant

Steve Teeft, Commander
Buffalo Guards Camp 1975
Buffalo, NY
_Steve@DixieResearch.com_ (mailto:Steve@DixieResearch.com)
Old 05-26-2005, 07:12 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

George S. Patton , Maj Gen, USA (Ret)
and the 39th Colonel of the Blackhorse Regiment died peacefully last June 26, 2004.

Flags were Flown at Half Staff by order
President 11th ACVVC
http://www.11thcavnam.com/patton/patton.htm
George S. Patton
Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Maj. Gen. George S. Patton, U.S. Army, retired, 81, of Hamilton, son of the late Gen. George S. Patton Jr. and Beatrice Ayer Patton, died June 27, 2004, at his home after a long illness.

Gen. Patton had been the owner of Green Meadows Farm in Hamilton. He retired from active duty in the fall of 1980, after 34 years of service to his country, which included combat experience in Korea, nine years of assignments in Germany and three tours of duty in Vietnam during the conflict there. His assignments, after graduating from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1946, ranged from company commander in both Europe and Korea, through staff and command assignments and attendance at all U.S. Army schools, from basic officer to the Army War College. His career culminated in commands of the 11th Armored Cavalry "Blackhorse" Regiment in Vietnam and the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood, Texas.

Gen. Patton's education included a bachelor of science degree from the U.S. Military Academy, a master's degree in international affairs from George Washington University and the Senior Managers in Government Program at Harvard University.

Gen. Patton was awarded many decorations for both bravery and meritorious service, including the Distinguished Service Medal, the Purple Heart and two awards of the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation's highest decoration for bravery in combat.

After his retirement in 1980, Gen. Patton devoted his attention to developing land in Essex County, which had belonged to his family. Assisted by state agricultural and environmental authorities, local farmers and hands-on experience, he and his farm management team created a working commercial farm and firewood operation, with special focus on small fruit crops. His Green Meadows Farm was recently awarded certification as a full organic operation and has established a community-supported agricultural (CSA) program.

"At the family home in Hamilton, Mass., with his wife Joanne, Patton turned his hand in retirement to the unlikely profession of "tomato farmer" at Green Meadow Farm, the family estate, and delighted to sell his produce at a roadside stand. His retirement business cards, printed in green ink read: "George S. Patton, Farmer."

Patton's friend, Lt. Gen. Charley Brown, told the story of a ragtag National Guard tank convoy that had stopped to buy cold cider at the Patton stand and returned to headquarters that evening to report an encounter with a crazy old farmer who chewed them out for the shabby state of their equipment, their dress, and their demeanor.

"And get this," a National Guard private confided to the colonel in charge of the armory, "the crazy old son of a b*tch thought he was Gen. George S. Patton."

A dedicated sailor, fisherman and hunter in his recreational time, Gen. Patton also served on a variety of civic boards, including the board of trustees of Norwich University, the West Point Fund Committee, the Hamilton Historical Society and the Board of Trustees of the Essex Agricultural and Technical Institute.

He is survived by: his wife of 52 years, Joanne Holbrook Patton; five children, Mother Margaret Georgina Patton, OSB; George S. Patton Jr., Robert H. Patton and his wife, Vicki, Helen Patton Plusczyk and her husband, Dr. Thorsten Plusczyk, and Benjamin Wilson Patton and his wife, Jennifer; six grandchildren, Robert and James Patton, Ingmar and Ragnar Plusczyk, Thomas and Christian Zawacki; and one great-grandson, Zachary Zawacki.

A memorial service was held Wednesday, July 7, 10 a.m., from St. John's Episcopal Church, Beverly Farms.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations were made to the Army Emergency Relief, the National Military Family Association, the West Point Fund, St. John's Episcopal Church, or the New England Small Farm Institute.
Reprint of a sympathy Card on the web site:
On behalf of the Officers, Directors, Volunteers, and all members of the 11th Armored Cavalry Veterans of Vietnam and Cambodia (11thACVVC)

I offer our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of MG (Ret) George S. Patton, on his passing from this life to Fiddler's Green and everlasting life.

General Patton will be missed by all Cavalry Troopers, and will be remembered as one of our greatest Colonels. The Soldiers of the 11th ACR are eternally grateful for his selfless service and outstanding leadership throughout a long and distinguished career in the US Army.

We salute our fallen leader, and wish him "God Speed" as he imparts to all his Comrades-in-Arms in Fiddler's Green the motto he gave us:
"Find The Bastards, Then Pile On"!!

ALLONS!

Chuck Schmidt
President, 11thACVVC

"Sometimes news moves slower then we would like but as long as one person remembers another that person is never really gone!"

Deo Vindice,
Jerry Watkins ,SSgt USAF (ret)
Old 05-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

September 3, 2004
George S. Patton buried in Arlington Cemetery
by Dennis Ryan
Courtesy of the Pentagram

Following in the same occupation can be difficult for a son, particularly if your father was one of the most significant names in military history. A famous name came home to Fort Myer Friday, Major General George S. Patton, son of the famous World War II Gen. George Smith Patton Jr., was honored with full honors at Memorial Chapel.

He passed away June 27, 2004, at his home in Hamilton, Mass., from dementia. Patton, 80, spent much of his childhood at Fort Myer where his father served as the post commander in the inter-war years and was stationed here on three other occasions.

Patton was interred in Section 34 of Arlington National Cemetery in a simple pine box made by the sisters of the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Bethlehem, Conn., from trees grown on the property. His daughter Margaret is the Mother Superior of the Abbey. The insignia of the 2nd Armored Division and the 11th Armored Cavalry are inscribed on the coffin as well as the emblem of the cross.

Normally Old Guard pallbearers give the casket flag a crisp snap as they fold it, before presenting it to the family. Friday the flag was gently folded because it too had historical significance.

Troopers of the 11th Armored Division, commanded by Brig. Gen. William Holbrook, Jr. raised that very same flag over Linz, Austria in 1945.The flag later covered the coffin of George S. Patton Jr. as it traveled to interment at the American Cemetery in Luxembourg. The banner with 48 stars later was used for Holbrook's funeral at West Point before being donated to the Patton Museum at Fort Knox.

Fort Myer historian Kim Holien has a photograph in his office of the young Patton sitting on a horse in 1934 as part of a mounted Cub Scout Pack.

"They considered Fort Myer home," Holien said. "He [George S. Patton Jr.] served as post commander from 1938-1940 and three other times, as a troop commander, a squadron commander and executive officer before taking command."

The son legally changed his name from George Patton IV. There was no George Patton III.

Patton was a distinguished Soldier in his own right. He commanded the 11th Armored Cavalry or the "Blackhorse" Regiment, which was organized at Fort Myer in 1902, as a Colonel in Vietnam before later rising to Major General and command of the 2nd Armored Division at Fort Hood.

Retired Air Force Lieutenant General James D. Hughes, Patton's West Point roommate and friend of more than 60 years, remembered him during the service as, "loud, opinionated and on occasion profane." But also most of all, "George was a real good guy."

Major General James L. Dozier recalled Patton as a mentor, "who instilled a dedication to and a love for the call to arms. He was a stern taskmaster, but once you passed muster. You were a key member of the team."

Dozier recalled Patton as attentive to the opinions of his staff officers, but he was also a leader who would not be afraid to put his personal stamp on a mission.

"In combat it was OK to kill a fly with a sledgehammer if it would save lives and get the job done," Dozier said of his former boss. "Our combat operations always went smoother when George Patton was around."

Dozier also said Patton had a deep love and concern for his Soldier's well being.

Retired Colonel Charles G. Watkins served as Patton's helicopter pilot with the "Blackhorse" Regiment in Vietnam.

"He searched for Charley with an unprecedented fervor and when we found him, we all piled on," Watkins said. The 11th's motto in Vietnam was, "Find the bastards and pile on."

Another speaker, Colonel John R. Reitzell called Patton "an improved version" of his famous father.

"He carried the gifts and ghosts of his name throughout his life," Reitzell said. "He was not just a symbol. He was not just a son. He was a combat leader of distinction."

James Patton Totten remembered the Major General as loyal family man and loving if argumentative uncle.

"He was invariably and enthusiastically politically incorrect," Totten said. "He was a kind, but combative man. The family was not always without tension, but he always laid out the first olive branch."

Totten recalled a time the two were fishing in a boat off the mouth of the Ipswich River in Massachusetts and became lost in the fog.

The fog lifted after several hours and the two pulled into a dock. They walked up to a house.

"A lady answered the door at night," he said. "The lady didn't know whether to call the police or psychic hotline, when uncle said, 'I'm George Patton, may I use your phone.' "

The nephew remembered his uncle as character, whom stories grew around. But there was one major thing George S. Patton will always be remembered for.

"Above all he was a Soldier," Totten said. "He loved being a Soldier and everything about Soldiers."
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/gspatton.htm
Old 05-27-2005, 01:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Jerry,

Thanks so much for this information. I had no idea he had died. Thanks national media.

We used to work with Patton's 11thARC in Tay Ninh. All 11th members are eligable to be in the 1st Cav Div Association. The 11th was a great unit....no doubt it's commander played a part.

Nice to also know he was a SCV Brother!

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

I served with Patton in Germany , in the 4th Armored Div , in 1969. He looked and talked like his old man.His surprise Sat. morning inspections had everyone shacking. Saddle up and sound the charge , Sir ! It's on to Fiddlers Green !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

He was a great warrior in the tradition of his family and a Son of the South. Rest in peace.

Larry
Old 05-27-2005, 10:25 AM

Distinctions
VOM 

I agree, I didn't know Patton had passed away till I received a late email then I looked up the other information with Rick's help and found out the info was about a year old but well suited for Memorial Day remembrance none the less.Thanks for the additional info Ya'all.