The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

There are people up here that would use that cat. "Road kill stew". He's obviously used up the other eight lives somewhere else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anickadams2.jpg (21.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 11-17-2006, 05:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Then QM, you must be referring to the adoptive relatives of Nati Bimpo (sp?). Been a while, but according to the local Cooperstown legend, Nati was a mentally challenged youth that lived with wolves that had more or less adopted him. I recall the statue and did hike up the mountain to what is alleged to have been his cave.

As a youth I was a great fan of James Fenimore Cooper so of course I was on the lookout for ?Magwa? so as to put some hurt on that scoundrel.

Scamp
Old 11-18-2006, 05:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Sea,
Actually I was refering to some of the local residence in Delaware County. I am an import from another county. The toothbrush was invented in Delaware County...anywhere else it would have been called a teethbrush.

You were close on the spelling. Natti Bumppo. The name still remains common in the Cooperstown area. There is a tour boat that goes around Cooperstown Lake named after Natti Bumppo. There are several websites you can visit under that name. Cooperstown is a very nice area but baseball has now claimed more of the area. The summer now crowds the streetw with rich tourists and little leaguer parents who have no regard for the locals. There are now two huge little league camps here. The hotels and B+B's are all full for a twelve week period.

One of Coopers more famous works was "The Last of The Mohicans".
Old 11-18-2006, 07:04 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Thanks for the up-date and spell correct, QM. At the time I was working on a project near Albany, had a few days off so decided to go to Cooperstown to have a look-see. Very nice there but not the best place for drop-in tourists so I had to stay in Deer Run; at least that is the name I recall. There was some kind of baseball happening and I only speak marginal baseball at best, but did manage to get into the museum-hall of fame and then see Doubleday field.
Actually, I enjoyed the Farmers Museum more, had the run of the place and the volunteer attendant was more than happy to chat, fill me in on the local culture, interesting places, topics, and town gossip as well. Gut feel, but I got the impression that gossip is a well advanced social art in Cooperstown.

I do recall what looked to be a sternwheeler on the lake and in my pic box somewhere I have a pic of the Cooperstown WW I memorial.
And sure, Mogwa or Magwa is the heavy/bad dude in ?Last of the Mohicans? and talked of himself in the 3rd person. I?m not sure real Native Americans use the 3rd person, but it was great for the Magwa story line and mighty scarry stuff for an eight-year-old at the time, yikes. :ek:

Scamp
Old 11-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith
I've tried to avoid this thread due to my extreme love for animals......The true story behind this picture is, The cats not dead, its just resting after a wild night with catman (Travis)......Get it, catman.....cat...see the correlation. No pun intended
bOOger

God bless the ACLU
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote