The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2003, 06:04 PM

Default That *&#^$ bridge

Here's a pic ofwhat's left of theRte. 1 bridge at Dong Ha (looking North). I hated (still do) that flippin' bridge. Hats of to Col. Ripley, USMC (Ret). OOOOOOORAH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn0442.jpg (72.7 KB, 76 views)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2003, 10:21 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Bridge

What's left of the bridge? That doesn't even look like a former bridge. Looks like a bunker with a view. Is it for sale?

We had a bridge called the Hock Mahn, sure wish it had been in that condition, then we would't have had to drive over it all the time getting ambushed on both sides.

It is a nice photo, urban renewal?

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 12-12-2003, 10:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Could you 'slpain some more about the bridge ? Location ? How did it get blown up ? Your experiences ? Thanks.

Larry
Old 12-15-2003, 12:53 AM

Advisor,

Ditto on Larry's request.

thnx
Old 12-15-2003, 05:34 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

That bridge was on Rt 1 coming out of Dong Ha and the next stop was the DMZ and then North VietNam. Great armored avenue of approach that was blown to stop exactly that in 75 , I think. You could see a giant North Vietnamese flag about 10 miles away on their side of the Z from that bridge . Beau has painted a pretty good picture of that bridge at night , that you saw in my bunker , Andy
Old 12-15-2003, 08:01 PM

Right on, DMZ-LT. I spent a lot of my tour at the MACV/District compound which was situated on the South bank of the river between the bridge & the landing where dudes like Beau used to pull up their craft. (Gotta say that I really like Beau's pic of the bridge). I hated that friggin' bridge so much...the Viets used to patrol it at night, dropping grenades & firing up floating debris to discourage swimmers. Trouble was, rounds occasionally flew our way. Don't know if it was deliberate, bad marksmanship (nah, the Viets were all sureshots) or ricochets (sp?), but it was dam@ uncomfortable to be out in the compound at nite & a stray round would sail by.

The bridge was blown by Col. Ripley, USMC in 1972 to stop a NVA armored drive. I've sent him a couple of Emails thanking him for downing that piece of ^*%*. He got a Navy Cross for it. He's currently director of the USMC museum in D.C.