The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-08-2006, 10:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill Farnie
Distinctions
VOM 
Default Larry

Actually was going to group for awhile but stopped.
The leaders also had told me to sign up with the VA and file a claim ... maybe I should start going back again?

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. General Robert E. Lee
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2006, 11:39 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Yeah, go back. I don't know what I would do without my groupl
Old 04-09-2006, 06:30 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Larry

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Farnie Actually was going to group for awhile but stopped.
The leaders also had told me to sign up with the VA and file a claim ... maybe I should start going back again?
Bill
Your story sounds somewhat like mine: I went to the VA for counseling, PTSD help for 10 years before I filed a claim. They had to talk me into filing one, and i resisted for several years. had some of the same feelings about it you do. Finally I filed the claim, just to see what happened.
If youre going to file a claim, help yourself out--take it seriously. I never play ANYTHING for half the marbles. I told myself I'd see how far it could go with two caveats: I wouldn't lie for it and I wouldn't take drugs. (its a sobriety issue.) Other than that I did itt because I wanted to see what happened. (its a curiosity issue)
The person I had to do the most convincing was myself--that I needed it and wanted it. I looked at my own life, my own story, read a lot here and then realized: HEY! I got as good a story as anyone here, maybe better.
One of the biggest fears of my life was that they'd say it all had never happened and then I'd go postal. And thats what DID happen--the first request (for my CIB which they never gave me(nor any other medals))came back saying there was no evidence in my files to support my claim. And then I really REALLY got pissed.--those sorry cocksuckers can't read their own fucking records. I HAD evidence in my hand that supported my claim, witnesses too (see above, pighumpr). So then I went to my Congressman (G Miller) He Got me my records--which backed up everything I said and more. The person who looked at those records and said there was no claim to a CIB was either lying or hadn't looked at the records.
Learn from this: you can lose a battle and still win the war. By the time I was done the same person who told me there was nothing in my record saying I deserved the CIB awarded it to me and told me what a great service I'd done for my country and what an honor it was. Well its not much of an honor if you have to apply for it 3 times where everybody else got it without asking but there it was. Finally! My CIB does not representt an honor to me it represents unfinished business which I forced the military to complete. They would not have "honored" me if I hadn't made them.
And so it is with the VA claim: go on down and state your honest business and see what happens. Don't quit fighting before they do.

One of the biggest fears of my life was also that I'd tell them my true story and they'd lock me up for being crazy. It was overblown, but real. I don't know how things are now but back in my day I wouldn't have told the command ANYTHING about what I was feeling--it would have been suicide, all they wanted to hear was YES SIR! No great urge by our command then to get the troops mentally healthy, that was a problem they didn't want to hear about. It would have been indeed a career killer to admit everything wasn't just fine.
but youre not there now and times have changed. As at least 2 other people here have said, its there for you. Nothing to be ashamed about and they can't "get" you for it any more.
People here helped me a lot in my claim (esp you Pack and Fred!--Thanks!) I not only wouldn't have started without them but wouldn't have finished.
This is a great resource, anybody not smart enough to use it isn't smart enough to pick up a $100 bill when they see it
Good Luck Bill
Stay good
James
Old 04-09-2006, 11:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I actually had to buy a book about the 1st Cav during my time with them to get dates and clarify some facts. One thing James said...always tell the truth as you remember it. Don't downplay it and don't exaggerate. By the same token, don't hold back because you are not absolutely sure. Just say this is the truth as best I can recollect. Another thing, Packo is a trained professional and is very up on PTSD. You can take anything he says as gospel.