The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Memorials

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2004, 02:37 PM

Unhappy Robert L. Smith, Sr.

I came into the office this morning to some very sad news. A friend and mentor passed away over the weekend. Although Bob never served in any wars, and he never even served in the military, he was a strong supporter, friend, and ally to all who did serve. You see, Bob was what I call a silent hero. Bob was a chemist of reknown reputation. You may not have heard of him but you have known some of his inventions. He held several patents only one of which is called Zocor. The knowledge he held in his head is lost for ever. It would take several more lifetimes in order to have enough time to pass that information on to another generation. And that is something he did freely. Late in his life, when he could have retired, Bob continued to consult around the world and to mentor the new generation of medicinal chemists. He taught me to love this industry with his wide eyed facination.

Below is his obituary written by his daughter Laura.

Dr. Robert L. Smith Sr., 64, of Lansdale, PA and Long Lake, NY, died Saturday, January 31, 2004 of complications from pneumonia.

A native of Albemarle, NC, Dr. Smith was a Morehead Scholar at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where he earned a B.S. in Chemistry and held a M.S. and Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry from the University of Maine. He was also a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Dr. Smith joined the Medicinal Chemistry department at Merck, Sharp, & Dohme in 1967 with a career goal of drug discovery. Upon retirement in 1993 as Senior Director, Medicinal Chemistry, he is quoted as saying ?the opportunity to work with many superb individuals toward the development of truly novel therapeutic agents has proven to be extraordinarily rewarding.? Never actually retiring, Dr. Smith continued to consult for many pharmaceutical and biotech companies in the U.S. and Europe until his death.

Capping his achievements, Dr. Smith is noted for his work in the discovery and development of two leading medications, Zocor, a cholesterol reducing agent, and Trusopt, a treatment for glaucoma. In addition he was a recipient of the Merck & Co., Inc. Directors? Scientific Award for his outstanding scientific achievements and was honored to accept the prestigious Prix Galien from the French government on behalf of Merck.

Dr. Smith lived life to the fullest. Whether fishing in Montana or calling bingo at the Adult Day Center, he did everything with gusto. He was an avid gardener and an ardent ACC Basketball fan. A true epicurean, he enjoyed sharing a gourmet meal and fine wine with friends. He was known for having a ready laugh and for his uncanny ability to successfully complete anything he put his mind to.

Dr. Smith is survived by his wife, Ann Prevost Smith; his son Robert L. Smith Jr. and his wife Rudi Bowen Smith of Wilton, NY; daughter Laura Coman Smith of Lansdale, PA and Columbia, SC; two grandsons, Zachary David Smith and Craig James Smith. Also surviving are his sister, Martha Smith Decker and her husband Dr. Alexander H. Decker of Smithfield, VA and six nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents, Craig J. and Eunice McManus Smith, and his brother, Craig J. Smith Jr.

A celebration of his life will be held on Saturday, February 7, 2004 at Huff and Lakjer Funeral Home (Derstine and Cannon Avenues, Lansdale, PA) at 2:00 p.m. The family will receive friends at 1:00 p.m. at the funeral home and after the services at their home.

In lieu of flowers , donations may be made to the Adult Day Services c/o North Penn Visiting Nurses Association, 51 Medical Campus Drive, Lansdale, PA 19446; Towamencin Volunteer Fire Company, 1590 Bustard Road, Kulpsville, PA 19443; or to the Kitty Cottage Adoption Center, 1536 DeKalb Pike, Blue Bell, PA 19422.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2004, 04:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 

Well done Ms. DL, well done.

Scholars don't get many salutes...
Old 02-04-2004, 06:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default DL

Sounds like he was blessed to have such friends as you, just as he blessed many others with his mind! This is the day that the Lord has made, and I'll rejoice for the gifts that your friend brought to the world! And may His peace be yours!
Brice

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-04-2004, 07:24 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

What SS said. Peace. He will not be forgotten to you .