Old 04-26-2002, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default House votes to combat Vet Homelessness

fnaWife2AFVV

Registered to :Sep 26, 2001
Posted 17-10-2001 at 10:02
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This came in email, as I have an address on their emailing list:
[quote]
IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 15, 2001
http://veterans.house.gov

House Approves Legislation to Combat Chronic Homelessness Among Veterans

Smith Legislation Honors NJ Veteran, Miss America 2000

(Washington, DC) - The House today approved legislation authored by
Congressman Chris Smith (NJ-4), Chairman of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, to accelerate a comprehensive and coordinated effort by the federal government to end chronic homelessness among veterans. The legislation, H.R. 2716, is titled he 'Stuart Collick - Heather French Henry Homeless
Veterans Assistance Act,' to honor homeless veterans and their advocates.

Stuart Collick is a decorated New Jersey war veteran with a distinguished 15-year career in the Army, including service in the Gulf War, who overcame homelessness with the support of VA programs, including a six-month stint at the VA's Domiciliary program in Lyons, New Jersey. Collick is now employed as a foreman for the VA's Veterans' Construction Team in New Jersey, serving
as a role model for other veterans recovering from similar problems. Collick's riveting personal testimony before a House Veterans' Affairs Committee hearing chaired by Smith last month helped galvanize support for approval of Smith's legislation. Heather French Henry was Miss America 2000, and has championed the cause of homeless veterans.

"Far too many of America's former soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines now find themselves destitute and homeless," said Smith, Prime Sponsor of H.R.2716. "Brave and honorable soldiers, like Stuart Collick, and all those now being deployed in this war on terrorism, may one day need our support. We have a sacred obligation to care for them, not just while they serve our nation, but after they have returned to civilian life as well," he said.

"It is estimated that on any given night, there are at least 225,000 homeless veterans sleeping on the streets, often the victims of drug abuse or Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) from their service -- that is a travesty," Smith said. "Our legislation not only offers immediate help to
these men and women through Section 8 housing vouchers and additional domiciliaries, it also seeks to address the root causes of homelessness by reaching out to veterans before they begin the downward spiral that often lands them on the streets," he said.

As approved by the House, H.R. 2716 will:
1.. Establish as a national goal the elimination of chronic homelessness among veterans within ten years. (Jeez, if they live that long.....)
2.. Authorize 2,000 additional HUD Section 8 low-income housing vouchers over four years for homeless veterans in need of permanent housing who are enrolled in VA health care, with priority given to veterans under care for mental illness or substance use disorders.
3.. Authorize $10 million over two years for ten new Domiciliary for Homeless Veterans programs.
4.. Consolidate and improve provisions of existing law relating to homeless veterans, including authorizing $285 million over four years for the Homeless Grant and Per Diem Program.
5.. Authorize $250 million over five years to strengthen the Department of Labor's (DoL) Homeless Veterans Reintegration Program (HVRP).
6.. Establish a VA - DoL demonstration program to provide information, including referral and counseling services, to incarcerated veterans and veterans in long-term institutional confinement to assist in their re-integration into their communities.
7.. Earmark $10 million over three years for medical care for homeless veterans with special needs, including older veterans, women, substance abusers and those with PTSD.
8.. Require VA to provide technical assistance grants to nonprofit community-based groups to assist other groups in applying for federal grants to address homelessness among veterans.
9.. Authorize VA to provide outpatient dental services to veterans enrolled for care in VHA and receiving care (directly or by contract) in VA or contract programs that traditionally serve the homeless.
10.. Require VA to have a mental health capability wherever it delivers primary care.
11.. Eliminate the cap on Homeless Veterans Comprehensive Service Programs
and require centers to be available in not fewer than the 20 largest U.S. cities.
12.. Authorize homeless veterans receiving care through vocational rehabilitation programs to participate in the VA's work therapy program.

Please visit http://veterans.house.gov, the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs web site, named 'One of the Best Web Sites in Congress' by the Congressional Management Foundation, May 3, 1999. [quote]

'Could be sheer propaganda, and it still has to pass in the Senate I suspect, but I figured it might at least be worth a mention and/or something to call and harass one's Senators about
m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile www Qoute
JHMII

Registered to :Aug 27, 2001
Posted 14-12-2001 at 02:04
I too was homeless for severeal years, after spending 10 yrs in the service, I was released for a medical condition that I was not aware of and that they weren't sure was either. After 12 jobs and 13 yrs of marriage I found my self homeless, and divorced. It almost killed me I drank myself half to death. After 2 VA programs for drinking I got a good Dr. who told me that I was a PTSD patient.

I didn't feel like a real man, I felt like I was weak, pansy type. After a few more years of drinking and doing things that were sucidal I finally went to the VA and asked for help and got lucky got the same Doc. After drying out and reganing my logic I began the process of learning what was wrong with me.

I learned to take suggestions from this man, He told me after 2yrs to go home to my family and go into the PTSD progam in N. Little Rock Ar. He saved my life.

I finshed the 6 week progam in Oct. this year, life on my own in the country and for once in many years I'm somewhat Happy.

The worst thing is the guilt that I carry as do many of my brothers out there do. I do hope Congress will support this bill for there are alot of my friends and brothers that are still out there on this cold and rainy night.

Jim

Profile Qoute
Sp4LittleJohn

Registered to :Aug 22, 2001
Posted 14-12-2001 at 05:21
*******RED ALERT********

Thank you M for the post.

OK guys and gals, here's where the Patriot files is unique and CAN make a difference. I wish that there was some way right now to put this info on the front page. You asked for it in a poll 3 weeks ago and now the ball is in your court.

http://www.senate.gov/contacting/index_by_state.cfm

Copy and paste the above address to your address bar, click go and find your Senators e- maill address, your going to need it. Send a copy of the link to all of your friends and buddies in your address book along with an e-mail in your own words as to what you think. Send an e-mail to your senator asking him or her to introduce matching or IMPROVED legislation on this bill.

Now, let's pick this bill apart and see what it really does for the homeless vet.

Using Congressmans Chris Smith's own statistics of 225,000 homeless veterans this bill only earmarks $2,466.66 per homeless vet. Other parts of the legislation are not funded at all yet in HUD and DVA budgets. (The HUD portion of this bill only covers less than 1% of the homless veterans, you do the math.) If the bill becomes law it will be up to those departments to fund those areas out of their existing budgets unless congress authorizes additional funding which will take the bureaucrats longer yet to enact unless the bill is amended to include funding and go to the President totally funded.

Here's how the funded portion of the bill breaks down.

Item #3, ten new domicilcary programs; $10 Mil/225k homeless vets = $44.44 each vet.

Item #4, Homeless grant per-diem program; $285Mil/225k HV = $1266.67 each vet.

Item #5, Strengthen HV reintegration program: $250Mil/225k HV = $1111.11 each vet.

Item #7, medical care for HV with special needs; $10Mil/225k HV = $44.44 per vet.

Many, make that most of the provisions of the provisions will be enacted over several years so by that time, M is right, a good deal of these vets will die freezing to death on the street but - not to worry, because others will join the homeless ranks.

Now let me throw a few more statistics at you. It is estimated that over 30% of the combat vets suffer from some sort or other of PTSD yet only 1% are actually recieving treatment for the condition and less than one third of 1 percent are actually recieving monetary compensation. Most of these HV's have a boggyman wandering around in their head and their homeless condition is part of their bunker mentality. They are bunkered and don't want to come out. A good deal of you know what it's like, don't you?

This bill is a good start because it recognizes the problem but it certainly does not get the job done. If the Senate does not enhance the bill and send it back to the House enhanced it will only scratch the surface.

Send your Senator an e-mail using the link above to get his or her address and ask them to move on this bill. Send an e-mail to your friends and ask for their e-mail input to congress. This bill is several months from being placed on the Presidents desk and you gotta know that he will sign it.

Now, it's your turn, consider it a "Red Alert!"

-----------------
Pain is only temporary. Pride is forever.

Profile Email Qoute
arrow

Registered to :Aug 21, 2001
Posted 14-12-2001 at 19:47
m God bless you for giving a damn God knows you deserve a damn medal for alerting us to what we need to know. We have two armies waiting to die now and a third one comin home..I hope those in the vet community that are in a position to make a difference for those that are sick among us and those still findin' their way home will quit sittin on their laurals and shoot one more last shot...for their brothers that can't speak up for themselves.

Heather French is an Angel sent from God..

Jim "Welcome Home Brother" you did good. May God use you to reach back and help someone else get in out of the cold.

John your my brother...and I am proud of you for givin' a damn...sis

Saw the people standin' thousand years in chains Somebody said it's different now, look, it's just the same...Pharoahs spin the message, round and round the truth..They could have saved a million people How can I tell you? ccr

Profile Qoute
arrow

Posted 15-12-2001 at 17:18
Homelessness and Losers:

I have seen these two words together just one too many times over the last two years and I am pissed really pissed. Shame, Shame Shame on any veteran that passes judgement on his brother like this. For those that have you just got lucky and don't forget it. There but for the Grace of God go all of us. Many a good man and woman has fallen down and got up again with a little help from his/her friends. I have met many a person that most would not wipe their feet on and that person would break bread with you and watch your six as though they knew you all their life...homelessness doesn't make you a loser..not given a damn does..sis

Saw the people standin' thousand years in chains Somebody said it's different now, look, it's just the same...Pharoahs spin the message, round and round the truth..They could have saved a million people How can I tell you? ccr

Profile Qoute
fnaWife2AFVV

Registered to :Sep 26, 2001
Posted 16-12-2001 at 01:48
PTSD links:

http://www.ncptsd.org/
National Center for PTSD

http://ptsd.factsforhealth.org/
PTSD info

http://www.ptsd.com/
Quote:

PTSD.Com offers free information about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, combat-related ptsd, Anxiety disorders, Dissociative Disorders, healing from traumatic stress, coping with nightmares, flashbacks, sleep disturbances, plus personal stories, alternative treatments & more.

(massive list of links, w/descriptions)

http://www.yourneighborhooddoctor.com/list-ptsd.htm
(regarding support lists)

http://www.mhsanctuary.com/ptsd/
PTSD Sanctuary, w/listserve

http://www.iboww.org/
International Brotherhood of Walking Wounded
Quote:

Come join us, we are the International Brotherhood Of Walking Wounded, dedicated to providing PTSD support and awareness through international missions for all combatants, non-combatants and their families. Not only from the Vietnam war, but all other conflicts as well.
Our missions help to broaden awareness of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or P.T.S.D. Our site offers a PTSD chat room, a poem & stories gallery, and a chapel. There is a message forum for all veterans and/or families of veterans. Whether you are a combat veteran or not, you are not alone if you are experiencing flashbacks or night sweats, you also might be suffering from depression or be isolating from others. These are all symptoms of ptsd. We too are coping with PTSD and we are here to offer help to you and your family!

http://www.support4hope.com/ptsd.htm
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
(including "community", "health" and "legal info" sections)

m

Profile www Qoute
arrow

Posted 16-12-2001 at 04:26
Thank you m..I checked out the

www.iboww.org

and I am impressed with the people runnin' the site and with the chapel area..think it's gonna be a big big help..

Course you know old BG Burkett of Stolen Valor fame and his faithful followers believe that PTSD is a sham and doesn't exist along with Agent Orange..so that means that 1CAV and My Bro and Little John and Griz and the new Tom and Andy and Frank and Ron and me and you and people like us and the fireman and the police officers and the rescue workers and all the shell shock veterans that have gone before and all the vets that came out of the Gulf War with PTSD are a bunch of f'n liers walkin around in the imagination of our minds just a bunch of losers that could not get their lives together..sis

ps..didn't even cover the Agent Orange issue but would like to inform my bro and Andy that what ever it is they got it's not related to herbicide poisioning cause old BG Burkett said so and everyone knows that a boy with a degree in finance..knows everything about everything and why there is just nothin' that boy don't know..

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links