Old 04-26-2002, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 
Default DoD Decides Not To Create Cold War Medal

sfc_darrel

Registered to :Jan 19, 2002
Posted 05-02-2002 at 14:00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Army News Service reports that the DoD will not be creating a Cold War Service medal, and Army officials said any commemorative medals made by private vendors are unauthorized on the military uniform. Former Secretary of Defense William Cohen approved a Cold War Certificate that all service members and federal employees who faithfully served in the United States military during the Cold War era. Last year an unidentified source caused confusion by sending an email to individuals informing them that a Cold War medal had been approved, and attached a picture of the medal to the email. Arlette King, chief of policy for the Army Award Branch, states, "We've tried to correct the issue by putting out messages on our Website stating that there is not an authorized medal. This is America and anyone can purchase the commemorative medal from private vendors, just not wear it on his or heruniform." It is against the law to wear an unauthorized medal on the military uniform.
Whoever knowingly wears a medal not authorized by Congress will be fined or imprisoned not more than six months or both, according to Title 18, Section 704, Military Medal or Decorations.http://www.military.com/MilitaryRepo...e=MR_DoD_Medal

-----------------
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. Robert Heinlein

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Profile Qoute
sn-e3

Registered to :Aug 26, 2001
Posted 05-02-2002 at 16:13
Ouch I've been had I'll stow my medal away in the junk drawer i never was much of a hero anyway. i should have know it was just a money making skeem shame on them
-----------------
If your not living on the edge, Your taking up to much space
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links