Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Angry Army contractor pleads guilty in killing of Afghan

Army contractor pleads guilty in killing of Afghan

By Jeff Schogol, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Thursday, February 5, 2009

ARLINGTON, Va. — A civilian contractor working for an Army Human Terrain Team has pleaded guilty in the shooting of an Afghan man who set one of his teammates on fire.

Don Michael Ayala faces a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison for voluntary manslaughter, according to a news release from the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.

He is free on bond pending sentencing, which is scheduled for May 8, according to the United States Attorney’s Office.

On Nov. 4, Ayala was on a patrol about 50 miles west of Kandahar when a man named Abdul Salam lit a container of flammable liquid and threw it on another team member, Paula Loyd.

According to court documents, Ayala forced Salam to the ground, where Salam was handcuffed and restrained. Shortly afterwards, Ayala learned that Loyd had been burned badly.

“Ayala pushed his pistol against Salam’s head and shot Salam, killing him instantly,” according to an affidavit filed in federal court.

Loyd, who suffered second- and third-degree burns over 56 percent of her body, died Jan. 7 at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio.

Ayala was originally charged with second degree murder. His attorney declined to comment.

Loyd is the third Army Human Terrain Team member to have died in the line of duty.

Michael Bhatia, a social scientist, was killed in a roadside bomb attack in Afghanistan in May. Nicole Suveges, who held a Ph.D. in political science, was killed the next month when a council meeting in Sadr City was bombed.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...466&source=rss

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

His only mistake was killing the asshole before he found out that his teamate died. After that it would be a justifiable execution,
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Angry

Very sad , send our warriors into battle and then charge them with murder.Glad there were no reporters with 2nd platoon C Troop , 3/5 Cav in 1971 or I would be in prison. No quarter asked or given. F#*K with us you died.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Agree with LT

Only diff between me and the other guy....he waited too long. You set my buddy on fire, I blow your friggin' brains out. 15 years my ass. Give him 15 minutes. PC combat. Love it. Jeeze.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)