Old 03-25-2003, 06:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default A Continuing War Time Diary

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/america...824696,00.html
A Continuing War Time Diary
March 25, 2003

The Pirtles

Christina Pirtle of Cordova is keeping a journal while her husband, Marine Sgt. Kevin Pirtle, is serving in Qatar.

March 23: Today was very difficult for me. It was the first day back at church since the war. Church is a huge part of our lives and I really miss not having Kevin sitting next to me, holding my hand during service. We belong to Ellendale Baptist Church and they have been a wonderful support for me and my family. If it weren't for the support of my family and church to help keep me strong for my two sons, Craig, 12, and Rian, 4 months, I don't know what I would do.

I often wonder what he is thinking about out there in another country. I know he misses us just as much as we miss him. I wait to hear from him and get an E-mail address or mailing address so I can send him pictures of the baby growing up and of Craig turning into a young man. He will be 13 next month and that will be hard. He already signed birthday cards for the boys for their next birthdays. He is always so thoughtful. I know he will be back home soon, because he wrote so on my mirror, "Love you, see you soon."

The Haydens

Marine Lance Cpl. Brian Hayden, 22, of Hernando, Miss., is serving in the Persian Gulf as a mortarman in the infantry. His parents, Dan and Denise Hayden, are also keeping a journal.

March 19: As Denise and I sat and watched TV this night, it is overtaken by "IT'S WAR." Man, what a sick feeling you get when you know your son is one of the first to go in on the ground. We stayed up late watching everything going on. Our phone just kept ringing from everyone calling to see if we heard from Brian or know where he is.

March 20: You know the first thing we did when we got up today was hurry to the TV and get all the updates we can before we are off to work trying to see if we can see where Brian's platoon is. No luck today. When we get home we are back to the TV. Diana, our daughter, said all we watch any more is the news. Well, no luck today finding Brian.

Before we get ready for bed tonight we hear of a helicopter crash and that 16 soldiers were on it. I think our hearts stopped for minute because Brian does fly in a helicopter sometimes.

March 21: Well, the day starts early because on Friday I leave at 2 a.m. for work but I was up early and checked the news before leaving. I was to drive a truck to Little Rock, but when my boss came in he told me to stay around the office today, with everything going on. Denise's boss allows her to take phone calls and listen to radio to keep up. On Monday, they said they would bring a TV in so they could watch the news.

March 22: Our day starts with the news that Iraq is now kicking the reporters out. My thoughts are they can't handle the truth that we are winning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marine Staff Sgt. Jennifer Coleman is aboard the USS Saipan in the Persian Gulf. Former Marine Andrew Coleman is keeping a journal for The Commercial Appeal as he takes care of their daughter, Kimberlee, 2.

March 20
We haven?t heard from Jennifer since her call Sunday. From my own experience I know that Jennifer is staying very busy on ship preparing Marines for combat duty ashore. I am sure she is thinking of Kimmee, but the mission at hand has to be the priority right now.

March 21
No word from Jen. Kim and I spent the evening drawing and coloring pictures for Mommy so she will have some mail at mail call. It is very hard when you don?t get any mail. Most Marines share their mail with another who doesn?t get any so we try to get something out to Jen that she can hang over her bed (or rack) to help with the monotony of ship life.

March 22
Jennifer was able to call and talk to Kim. She was unable to discuss anything about where she is or the ship?s involvement in the war. Kim was very excited to talk to Mommy. They talked for about 10 minutes. It made Kimmee so happy.

I spoke with her briefly, she sounded very exhausted but calm as always. Jennifer has always been able to hold it together for everyone she is around.

Her junior Marines are lucky to have her as a leader. About 30 Marines are looking to her for the example. I reminded her to remember to get some rest when she got the opportunity. Her Marines need her alert and ready for anything.

The world will see a free Iraq and I support that, but knowing it comes at a price that takes life is very chilling. Either way we should all be very proud of our brothers and sisters who are liberating Iraq.

These are the people who keep our enemies, foreign and domestic, at bay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memphian Rosemarie Upchurch's son, Jeremy Upchurch, is stationed with the Army at Fort Hood, Texas, awaiting deployment to Kuwait. She's one of several people with a loved one in the military who are keeping diaries for The Commercial Appeal.

March 21

We are all watching CNN and praying for safety for the troops.

Jeremy is out on a training mission, the same conditions as Kuwait. He does not know how long he will be out.

He is so positive about everything. I think being with others who are working for the same goals and knowing you are doing the right thing is helping him keep his spirits up.

Also, he believes in President Bush as a great leader and Christian.

We go to Hope Presbyterian Church and President Bush reminds us so much of our senior pastor, Craig Strickland. Both are easy to trust and somehow make you feel all is going to be OK.

Ranae Caldwell's husband, Stan Caldwell, is a helicopter pilot with the Army's 101st Airborne Division stationed in Kuwait. The Caldwells live in Tupelo, Miss. She is one of several people with family members in the military who have agreed to keep diaries for The Commercial Appeal.

March 21

Now that the fighting has started, I have mixed feelings. In some way I'm glad because I know it's the only way Stan can come home to us.

Of course, I am scared to death of something happening to him. It made me physically ill when I heard the sirens go off on the TV in Kuwait. I can't explain the fear and anxiety I felt when I heard about the missiles being fired into Kuwait.

I was at home with Stan's parents, Robert and Adrian, when the first reports came on.

Stan had told us that he was going to call us this morning (3-20) to wish (their son) Taylor a happy birthday. He was 12 today. Robert and Adrian were staying with me so that they could hear Stan's voice when he called.

Of course, after everything happened Stan was not able to call this morning. I was so thankful that we were together when we first saw the news. We all stayed glued to the TV all through the night.

I've been so thankful that there is so much media coverage on the war. I would have gone crazy not knowing what was happening. It has been a blessing to me. I've tried to keep the children from watching any news reports.

Today was really hard on them. Haley was crying and saying, "Mom, they are shooting missiles at Dad." Taylor said, "Dad won't leave us, he loves us too much. He will be OK."

Jeanice White's sister, niece and nephew recently deployed with 1175th Transport Company out of Brownsville, Tenn. She is among several people with family in the military who have agreed to keep journals for The Commercial Appeal.

March 20

The fighting has begun. I know now that this war is hitting much closer than I would like. My nephew (my brother's son), Sgt. Jeffrey P. White, 82nd Airborne medic 3rd infantry div., is already in Kuwait. The rest of my family will be leaving in a few days.

I pray for the soldiers everyday. Around the office everyone is wearing yellow ribbons in support of the troops.

I know my niece is worried about being in a hot zone and frankly so am I. I reflect on the words of our National Anthem and I can only imagine what was in the thoughts of the troops that started the attacks.

It is very hard to find the words to express all that is in my mind as well as my heart right now. I pray GOD'S grace and blessings on all of our military and our world.

Andrew Coleman, 31, a former Marine, is in Memphis caring for his 2 1/2-year-old daughter, Kimberlee, while her mother, Marine Staff Sgt. Jennifer Coleman, is in the Persian Gulf. He is one of several Mid-Southerners with loved ones in the military who have agreed to keep diaries. The Commercial Appeal will publish excerpts from them during its war coverage.

March 17

We just learned of the 48-hour deadline for Hussein. I held Kim tight . . . My daughter's mother will possibly be fighting for her life in a far off place. I believe in Jennifer. I know she is one of the finest Marines I have ever known. I couldn't imagine having to leave my own flesh and blood to go to war.

Kim got mail from Mommy, it was a picture of a boat with a stick figure Jen drew on the bow labeled "Mommy." Kim won't let it out of her sight. She just runs in circles smiling and shouting, "Mommy, Mommy."

March 18

No calls from Jen today. Kimmee went to her grandmother's (Kim calls her Mother or "mudder'' in Kimmee language) today so I could attend class on Wednesday morn.

I hate to leave Kim anywhere. She cries because I think she is afraid I will have to leave her also like her Mommy had to. Kim has adjusted well and we are doing better now than we were in the beginning (Jan. 3).

I was very scared; I had never cared for a child without Mom around before. We were on our own so I had to learn OJT. This has been the biggest challenge of my life.

On a good note, this showdown with Iraq has given me the greatest gift ever - time with my daughter. I have bonded with Kim in a way that is not possible to explain.

Iraq's defiance has directly affected my daughter as it has so many others. This will not be over for a long time; these will be the times younger generations will remember forever. I hope I am setting the example for Kim by supporting her mother as well as the country in this trying time.