The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2003, 07:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up Very Enjoyable Read.

Makes me think of my favorite place! Mine's a secret because you all would move there.

Great Work!

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2003, 03:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

I always love to hear stories about places that are near and dear to your hearts. everybody has one, but few share them as eloquently as you do. I felt as though I was fishing next to you. thanks.... chris
Old 12-05-2003, 03:47 PM

Well done, wish I could go there some day.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:51 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Upstate,...

...Upstate is pristine,...

...DL lives about 15 miles from me, and I know the area well, they have the "speedway" there where stock car racing rules Saturday nights in the summer, full sanctioned drag strip, top shelf,...

...could meet at any number of places as this is called "the seven lake region", there's "Crooked", "Crystal" Burden 1,2,3", Reichered's"' Snyder's, and prob more within a 10 mile radius,..., some 100' feet deep, and all ""crystal clear"", we have both Lake George which is 32 miles long,and the Sagindaga is 32 miles long nestled within the Adirondack's with all 4 seasons,...

...Hunting, and fishing at it's best,, Newcomb where our camp is has the thickest tres "per capita" in North America, 1.2 trees per sq. foot,...

...Wonderful post Doc,...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 12-07-2003, 07:12 AM

Default Duck river

I wish it were possible for me to see the old mill dam soon the triout that will winter over are big and fat now. The smallmouth bass are still hitting minnow shaped lures arn;t they? Have YOU fished the hole under the railroad bridge yet this fall? The water is always so cold and clear in that deep hole there.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:13 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Doc and guys, remember when the most powerful and magical word in the whole wide world was HOME? I guess that is our greatest gift from the war. It's like we are coming home all the time. We never take it for granted so the magic is still there. We talk about how we lost our innocence in Vietnam. This is one way in which we regained it.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:15 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Hey Tennessee comrades. What was that river in Tennessee were they did all the copper mining ? I was there once. Thanks.

Larry
Old 12-07-2003, 06:27 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

They did a lot of copper mining in Ducktown, Tn in the very southeastern corner. That is where the Copper Basin is. I know the Ocoee goes near there.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:03 PM

That speedway is home of Shirley Muldowney, the first woman of Drag...racing that is.
My two favorite quiet spots are Lake Lucerne up in the Adirondacks and Roger's Rock on the north end of Lake George. We have an annual poker run/horse back ride on Memorial weekend at Lucerne. Last time I went we had over 300 horse from several states. We found a quiet little pond really, called Lake Stewart. It was only a few miles off the main hiway but it could have been 1,000 miles from civilization.
As for Lake George, the north end is so wild and beautiful. It's place in history is firmly found in the beginnings of our nation. It played a very strong roll in establishing the State of NY and creating the trade with the French & Indians of Canada and the northern states. Yet is still can feel like you are the first person to set foot on the shores of that icy clear lake.
But Doc, your right these "Yanglese" as the Native Americans once called them dont know how to say "Dawg" and "Wurter". They also no nothing about "worshing" day either.
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
Old 12-08-2003, 06:33 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quiet spots in the forests and woods. Got me thinking about my grandparents place some 30 years ago. They had 250 acres and I was only 25 when they passed and didn't really appreciate it at the time. It was very pleaseant just to walk deep in the woods with pet dogs that lived on their farm. There was "Cricket", "Doodles", and "Bessie". I called two of them "fiest" ( sp ? ) dogs, but they may have been rat terriers. "Cricket" would jump up in my arms, even though she was quite big. My grandparents had an outhouse and the only heat was a big wood stove in the front room. Air conditioning was open windows. Their house was built in about 1920. "Cricket" would get in bed with you at night and warm things up. It was hell getting up in the morning and then hit the linoleum floor when it was 20 degrees outside. Their land has long since been broken up amidst the squabbling of 7 kids. The old barn is still there, built around 1930, as is the old farm pond I used to fish in. An old garage they built in the 1950s is still standing as well. In all the hunting I did up there, I never saw a deer, even though Hardeman Co. TN. was supposed to be one of the top places to hunt deer in TN. Just had to ramble some. Hard to find something like this around where I live.

Larry