The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-12-2005, 08:43 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tom and Kath on the BIg Bird

Even while I write this Tom (friscokid) and Kath (mrs friscokid) are winging their way back to Vietnam.
I'm proud of my friend Tom going back for the 4th time. I was the one who talked him into going back with me the 3d time (2d time for me) what an adventure that was.
I'm goig back again myself next year, going to start in Hanoi and work my way South. This time,I want to see everything I missed the first 2 times: Hanoi Hue, Danang, the battlefields in I Corps. I want to ride an elephant through the Ia Drang Valley. I probably won't go back a 4th time.
Going back again was one of the most fascinating trips I ever took and settled a lot in my mind. It was completely different than what I expected, we could hardly find a trace of the American War when we were there. Its certainly7 not a paradise yet but a whole lot better than at any time when we were in charge of the place. Let the Vietnamese have it--it was easier to run Iraq than Vietnam.
Mostly what blew me away was what a pretty place it is when all the war material is removed. I only saw II Corps when I was there and not the pretty parts of it.
Beaches, mountains deserts--its got it all. And its great to go when all the little comrades are not trying to kill you. Hey there little comrade, bring them drinks here chopchop or I'll be faxing a complaint to the Peoples Committee on Sucking Up to Tourists first thing in the morning!

God Bless Tom and Kath, you are real adventurers. wish I was with you.
Stay good
James

pic shows Tom at Ft Ord in front of his basic training company
Airborne dude! Fight with what you have untill relieved!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:08 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Tom

Have a safe trip and enjoy.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:28 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Enjoy!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:06 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

:cl: We made it safe and sound on the first leg of the trip. We are sending this from the airport at Seoul, Korea. We've spent the day here on a 13 hour layover (our choice). The airline compted us a hotel room, transportation, and lunch. We caught a small 2 hour tour around the Incheon area. Met some nice people along the way. People we had actually met on the airplane and we all had long layovers. We are now back at the airport waiting to take a 5 hour plane ride to Saigon. On the return trip we will have another 13 hour layover at which time we will go into downtown Seoul sight seeing and SHOPPING!

We will be spending the first two days in Saigon at a 5 star hotel. From there we will be driving to Can Tho, passing through My Tho in the Mekong Delta. We will be staying at another 5 star hotel (Victoria). We are looking forward to taking a boat trip on the Mekong River to visit some of the floating markets for some sightseeing and Kodak moments. We will keep you posted as the opportunity arises.

We are really glad that we made the decision to make this trip back here. Sorry James and Sue couldn't join us this time. We are approaching this trip alot different than the last one, in that it is going to be purely touristy and vacation type stuff (alot of beach time etc.).

Getting close to time to catch the plane so will end for now. Will get back to you when we can.

Tom and Kath

frisco-kid and Mrs frisco-kid
Old 11-13-2005, 05:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Tom....best wishes! Have a wonderful time, just make sure you are home in time to go to the mountain in April!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 11-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default tom james

got to hand it the both of yosss. No way I could go back to that place. But Hay,, Have a good time

Ron
Old 11-13-2005, 06:35 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Have a safe trip Tom.....Take plenty of pics and bring them with you in April
Bob K

God bless the ACLU
Old 11-13-2005, 06:53 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by frisco-kid :cl: back here. Sorry James and Sue couldn't join us this time.
Tom and Kath

frisco-kid and Mrs frisco-kid
Guess I can reveal here for the first time that the mainest reason that Sue and I didn't go back with them is that we're getting married on N0v 26 and the preparations are keeping us busy. 3d times a charm for both of us.
T&K will be getting back the day earlier so they'll be there for sure, with jetlag
James, you're saying, have you taken leave of your senses? Don't you remember the previous two? The crying, the pleading, the weeping the begging, the lame excuses? And that was just to get sex!
No, Ive been doing much better with women since I started the lifestyle of just giving them money on a continuous basis whenever I see them, along with a sincere apology. Don't laugh, it gets my breakfast made every morning and my clothes washed and I get sex whenver she wants to.
Our honeymoon will not be in Vietnam, though, its Costa Rica this time. As the first honeymoon was in Vancouver BC and the 2d was in Cedar Falls Iowa, this will be a big improvement. The VN trip will come later. I'm definitely going to the psycovet thing in Ellijay this year and then the Jazzfest, as always.
I want to see the new New Orleans
Stay good. God Bless, Tom and Kath
James
Old 11-13-2005, 07:02 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Congrats James.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Frisco

If you don?t get the message I totally understand but,,,. Do you recall I asked you if you went back again to Saigon and spent time in one of those old French, very elegant hotels, to ask what the name of it was back in the day? I?m pretty sure you and James stayed in the area of the city where the Rex and the Majesty were located. It would be really interesting if we both spent a night in the same room - 36 years removed.

James, way to go! Enjoy marriage again. Enjoy Costa Rica, however I preferred The Cape.

Stay healthy,
Andy