The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Appreciation

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Cool Authorized Military decorations? Who can and do you wear?

Decoration / Metal: "Legislated requirement"

Combat Service Commemorative: "Honors all American Armed Forces members who served in an overseas combat theater or expiditionary combat operation."

Overseas Service Commemorative: "Honors all U.S. Forces who served in an overseas theater outside the United States for 30 days or more."

Cold War Victory Commemorative: "Honors all Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and Airmen who served between 2 September, 1945 and December, 1991."

Republic of Vietnam Service Commemorative: "Honors U.S. Armed Forces who served in the Democratic Republic of South Vietnam or in direct support of that nation from, Thailand, Guam, Okinawa, or Philippines and from 1962 to 1975"

Tet Campaign Commemorative: "Honors all military personnel who served in the TET Campaign." (Tet is a National Holiday in Vietnam with Tet Offensive happening in 1968, didn't it? So what year do they consider THE Tet Campaign, that's commemorative?)

U.S. Army Commemorative: "Honors all Officers, Noncommisioned Officers, and Soldiers who have honorable service in the Army form 1775 to present."

Honorable Service Commemorative: "Honors all Armed Forces members who recieved an Honorable Discharge from active, guard or reserve forces."

Listed above are medals that a large majority of todays living veterans might, by definition be elligible for but are not listed on a DD-214. I question, can and should they be displayed as "earned" Military Decorations? Or maybe the Wannabe can just buy them at Medals of America, a pawn shop or the corner store and then brag about being a "decorated" veteran.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Depends

"Listed above are medals that a large majority of todays living veterans might, by definition be elligible for but are not listed on a DD-214. I question, can and should they be displayed as "earned" Military Decorations? Or maybe the Wannabe can just buy them at Medals of America, a pawn shop or the corner store and then brag about being a "decorated" veteran."

My take, after spending a few years composing posthumous military biographies and learning a fair amount about such matters:

Those medals can be worn on uniforms of personnel who are no longer active duty, for ceremonial reasons, or on civilian and service organization attire for the same reason.

Should they be worn? Only if one wants to and has earned them.

And, obviously, anyone can buy them in various places and wear them whether deserved or not.

Same old same old moral choice most of us make in the correct manner.

Since not more than 2% of Americans ever put on a uniform, the general public wouldn't know the difference anyway. But, even GIs have a hard time sorting out the fine points of medallic heraldry as far as that goes. I study the topic very continuously and still make mistakes now and then...
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Blue....,

Glad you're finally back my friend, even though on a touchy subject about any worthwhile decorations for 5 million or so: "Cold War Warriors" (myself included) actually being worthwhile.

Even though most Cold War Veterans serving overseas qualify for 4 medals listed (plus a Good Conduct for myself), such quite biased and supremacist DO NOT qualify us as Honorable Veterans in the eyes of my State of New Jersey.

All having Honorably Served Country during: "WRONG Years" or during Cold War Years have longtime (since Feb. 1, 1955) been denied that piddlin little NJ Veteran Property Tax Deduction.

A same-o, same-o type veteran superiority obviously effects and has longtime effected both American Legion and VFW, nationwide. Any Serving Country during: "WRONG Years" need not apply for membership.

Still and in fairness to all such of my Veteran Betters, if any of we: "Second Class Veterans" want to stop in for an economical drink or two with all much braver and more courageous heroes (?),...one must merely log-in or sign-in on their Guest Book.

Even though signing-in is inconsequential to me (no doubt many others also),............
isn't that easy enough?

Neil
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Recon

I can readily understand VFW's rule about in-theater or overseas deployment, but the Legion is killing itself with their rules and, in some instances, the conduct of older veterans. I've seen it happen in person many a time.

Those commemorative decorations I don't really get the useful purpose of, although I suppose they're good for something or other.

Anymore, especially in the USAF, a kid can get through his first year of service and end up with as many as 6 basic gimme "I was alive in 2005" ribbons! This does not make valor and merit ribbons meaningless, but to the unknowing eye it looks like the kid actually did something.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Blue....,

I have to disagree with your: "I understand VFW's...", since I will never understand why both Legion and VFW (State of NJ also) quite demeaningly and insultingly belittle mine and buddies' 28 months of Honorable Service to Country on West Germany/Czech Border.

Similarly insulting millions of other veterans is pretty-lame, shallow and petty at minimum, also.

Basically, unless COMBAT Decorated, NO VETERANS (civilian political rulers also) should look down on, make light of or insult Service to Country of any once being: "Cold War Warriors".

The skuttlebut (actually a realistic assessment) about we forward elements and our: "Delaying Actions" against 8 or 10 to 1 Armor Supperiority way-back-when,...was being overrun in about THREE DAYS by The Soviets.

Fortunately for US (both ways),...Wiser Warsaw Pact Nations' Heads Prevailed!!!

In my/our day ('55 to 58) there just weren't any Neutron Bombs (great tank battalion killers) to help out We Forward Expendables, as we actually were at that time.

It was only towards end of Cold War that Reagan protected America Forces with threat of deploying such,...and no doubt one of main reasons for Ruskies throwing-in-the-towel and The Wall to come tumbling down.

Neil
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Yup...

Nobody can disagree with the idea that thousands and thousands of GIs did every bit as much overseas and safeside to protect this nation, and it irks me too that in modern times such service is not recognized by VFW or Legion.

I believe the limitations put on membership have and will come home to haunt those fine service organizations which, in this way, are stuck in a WWII mindset.

The reasons they have for keeping things as they have been are understandable, but only if the premise remains correct - which it doesn't anymore.

VFW would reply that membership is for those who served in WAR - as if the Cold War had no fallen and no sacrifice. Why the Legion maintains the same rule I have no clue.

I suppose this could be one good reason for the medals Stick posted in his original thread here, but I don't see how. They're feel-good-about-yourself fruit salad and I wouldn't wear them, on anything.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:23 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Blue....,

If any are interested, there are absolutely no differences whatsoever between what ribbons inconsequentially exclude Cold War Veterans from being Dues Paying members of both Legion & VFW, and much more importantly (since with Public Funds) and insultingly denied that NJ Veterans Property Tax Deduction in most Highest Taxed State in America.

The mostly non-combat & peacetime awarded area/occupation ribbons (Asia & Europe) and overseas ribbons denied all: "Cold War Warriors" since Feb. 1, 1955, similarly and quite preferentially dictates which veterans are gifted that Property Tax Deduction,...or not.

State of New Jersey (Legion & VFW also) stating that honoring ALL VETERANS,...is pure bull.

Neil
Old 07-05-2012, 12:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

A few years back, I posed a question on a Coast Guard message board. I served from 67-71. At discharge, I had two medals, the NDSM and the CG Good Conduct Medal. I never felt belittled by the two ribbons, I did my job wherever I was posted and then some. As a crewmember on the deck force of a salvage tug, I got the bejesus knocked out of me numerous times paying out towing lines, reeling them in and hanging for dear life in mountainous seas to save some poor bedraggled sailor.

But curiosity got the better of me, and I remarked on a board once "I wondered what I would have been awarded these days" with the exact same service record from 30 years previous. Most of the guys seemed to thing that my measely 2 ribbons would have blossomed to at least 5 or maybe 6 awards. In a way it gave me a perverse sense of pride, because we busted our butts saving lives and that was our job and we were paid to do it. So what was the big deal.

I once read an article in the Naval Institute which really brought it home. To cut to the chase a destroyer was on fire in New york Harbor in WW2. Marines, the Navy and the Coast Guard all responded. The harbor was saved from a devastating explosion. The author of the article inquired of the CG Historian "why didn't any Coasties get awards because the Marines and Sailord did?" The Historian's reply was that the Coasties were just doing their job. So I think of that when I look at those two colored bits of cloth in my cigar box. :-)

Bill

King John 2.1.466
Old 07-05-2012, 02:53 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs up

Well said, Tam...
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I particularly likes Tamaroa's: "The historians reply was that Coasties were just doing their jobs".

Such sez-a-lot and basically acknowledges all Servicemen having accomplished their missions well, or at least valiantly tried their best doing same.

Regardless, NON-Combat awarded Area, Vicinity or Location or: "Correct Time of Service" ribbons NEVER PROVE ANYTHING or that SOME Dates of Service to Country were BETTER and more worthwhile and acceptable than others.

Unfortunately for myself and millions of other so insulted Cold War Veterans, such is exactly how American Legion, VFW and State of New Jersey all quite stupidly do.

Blue, Tam,...

After once telling some big WWII Legion yokel of my Dates of Service and his checking: "Correct" Dates on back of his membership card, he with great authority said to me: "YOU'RE NO VETERAN".

I instantly replied: "You're an a--hole".

Neil