The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2002, 11:31 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default President Bush threatens veto of new Concurrent receipt bill!!

I received the attached message below in my E-mail this morning. PLEASE--PLEASE write your Senators & Congresspersons ASAP!

***START***

M E M O R A N D U M
TO: Action E-List

SUBJ: CONCURRENT RECEIPT UPDATE

DATE: May 14, 2002

All members and citizens concerned about the long-standing injustice that requires military longevity retirees to forfeit a dollar of retirement pay for every dollar of Department of Veterans Affairs disability compensation must take immediate action and notify the President of their concern.

A White House statement on May 9, 2002, regarding the House-passed version of the Defense Authorization Bill, argued against a provision that would authorize $5.8 billion over five years so disabled military retirees can receive both VA disability compensation and retirement benefits. It noted that the President would veto the bill.

Please use the enclosed letter or the prepared e-mail message on the legislative acvocacy section of our web site, at www.dav.org to urge the President to consider changing his position on this important issue.

Thank you for your continued support.

JOSEPH A. VIOLANTE
National Legislative Director

NEWS RELEASE

Contact David E. Autry (202) 314-5219

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 13, 2002

DAV Denounces White House Effort to Cut Funding for Disabled Military Retirees

President Bush?s fight with Congress over the defense authorization bill could mean that disabled military retirees will continue to suffer an injustice that prohibits them from receiving both disability and retirement benefits.

Among the president?s objections to the measure is a provision strongly supported by the House and Senate that would overturn the century-old requirement that military retirees waive a portion of their longevity retired pay equal to the amount they receive in veterans? disability compensation.

"It is unconscionable that President Bush appears to care so little about retired members of the armed forces who were disabled as a result of their service to our nation," said George H. Steese, Jr., National Commander of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV). "There is strong support in Congress to correct this long-standing injustice toward disabled military retirees, but the president is opposed to the provision."

The House version of the defense bill would authorize $5.8 billion over five years so disabled military retirees can receive both disability and retirement benefits. The Senate is expected to authorize full concurrent receipt benefits for all disabled military longevity retirees in its version of the defense bill.

"It is grossly unfair that career military veterans must waive their retirement pay in order to receive VA disability compensation," said Commander Steese. "We must put an end to this long-standing injustice against some of America?s most deserving disabled veterans. These men and women dedicated their lives to serving our nation and became disabled as a result of their service and deserve to be treated fairly."

The million-member Disabled American Veterans, a non-profit organization founded in 1920 and chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1932, represents this nation?s disabled veterans. It is dedicated to a single purpose: building better lives for our nation?s disabled veterans and their families. For more information, visit the organization?s Web site www.dav.org.

SAMPLE LETTER:

The President
The White House
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

I am extremely disappointed to learn that your May 9, 2002 statement, regarding the House passed version of the Defense Authorization Bill, argued against a provision that would authorize $5.8 billion over five years so disabled military retirees can receive both disability and retirement benefits.

It is especially disheartening that career military personnel are treated so unfairly during a time of such heavy reliance on our armed forces. Men and women who earned retirement pay did so by virtue of dedicating 20 years or more to the defense of our nation. It is grossly unfair that career military veterans must waive their retirement pay in order to receive Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation. Retirement pay is an entirely different benefit from VA disability compensation, which is intended to alleviate the impact of lost earning potential from disabilities incurred as a result of active duty. Certainly, it is easy to recognize the unfairness of this law.

The fiscal year 2003 defense package would authorize the most significant funding hike for the military since the Vietnam War. Likewise, the farm subsidies bill will receive record level funding. In light of theses appropriations, I cannot understand why military retirees warrant such little consideration from the government they served.

Mr. President, I hope you will consider changing your position on this important issue. There is strong support in Congress to correct this long-standing injustice toward disabled military retirees. Those who devote their lives to a military career and suffer life-long disabilities as a result of their service deserve our utmost gratitude.

Please let me know what action you will take on this matter.

Sincerely,

***END***

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2002, 05:22 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default My Dear Southern Brother

I have emailed the President and added some strong language of my own as a Republican and Bush supporter who is dissapointed to the Max over this issue. I also let him know I'm a Life Member, DAV, Vietnam Vet, and have been working with Vets and AD Military for over 20 years. I was straight forward, which is different for me,(LOL), and really let him know how I felt. Hope this does some good. I am always skeptical of all politicians. With all the billions we spend on people here that don't work and the billions going to countries that HATE us.....I just don't get it.

One dissapointed

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-15-2002, 08:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Yer abso-phuckin-lutely right

my suthern brother!

THIS SHIT HAS GOT TO STOP!

If the Congress can pass and GW can sign a bill that gives the farmers 190 BILLION $$$ (90 % of which will go to FAT-CAT, corporate farming). Then by ALL that is morally fair---WHERE in the HELL is the campaign pledge of "A promise made should be a promise KEPT!" that Bush so eloquently spoke of back when he was attempting to convince military veterans to vote for him??

I guess the "farm" vote and the "foreign aid" vote is much more important than the "veteran" vote---HUH?

Disappointed--Disgusted---Downright PISSED OFF!

Thanks for taking the time & effort to send your letter. Looks like we're not gettin much "effort" from a lot of other folks on this subject---does it?

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Old 05-15-2002, 09:05 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Gimpy

I`m a member of the capwiz network so I did my deed as well.Also forwarded same to about everyone in my address book.

Peace,Griz
Old 05-16-2002, 05:45 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Gimpy my brother!

"you are wiser than me, do you still feel the pain......" Elton John

Glad you included Congress, the full congress including the Senate, cause' a bunch of Republicans voted against the subsidy. THEY ALL CARE MORE ABOUT THE FARM VOTE THAN THE VETERAN VOTE and I am as discusted and pissed off as you on this issue. Sometimes Austrailian or New Zealand look a lot more inviting.

Will keep trying right along side of you!

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-16-2002, 03:31 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks Griz

(and Packo).

We can't let up on this issue.

Everyone needs to send those jerks (Congress & the Whitehouse) a CLEAR and LOUD message.

Thanks,

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"