The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2007, 05:51 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Windows Vista

Microsoft new operating systems is available to the public today.
A little info.
To me , it's really not different, except it has different log on music. It's kinda like when windows went from 2000 to XP. not different to me.

What is required to run Windows Vista?
If you purchased a PC in the last two years, chances are good that you can run Windows Vista. To install and run the core functionality of Windows Vista, you need:
? An 800 MHz processor
? 512 MB of RAM
? A 20 GB hard drive with 15 GB of free space

Windows Vista Footnotes
A. Windows Aero, Windows Flip 3D navigation, Scheduled and Network Backup, Windows Meeting Space, and Tablet Technology are available in Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Ultimate.
B. Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption and Complete PC Backup and Restore are available in Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate.
C. Not all Windows Vista features will be available for use on all Windows Vista Capable PCs. All Windows Vista Capable PCs upgraded to Windows Vista will be able to run the core experiences of Windows Vista, such as innovations in organizing and finding information, security, and reliability. Some features?such as the new Windows Aero user interface?available in certain editions of Windows Vista require advanced or additional hardware.
D. Domain Join, Group Policy support, Windows Fax and Scan, Encrypting File System (EFS), Shadow Copy, Corporate Roaming, Offline Files and Folders, and Remote Desktop are available in Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate.
G. Premium Windows Vista games, such as Chess Titans, Mahjong Titans, Purble Place, and Inkball, are available in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate.
I. Internet service provider subscription or other service fees may apply.
M. Windows Media Center is available in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate. TV playback and recording features require an integrated or external USB TV tuner. Supports up to two TV tuners in all supported regions subject to Windows Vista compatibility with local TV standards; additional DTV/HDTV tuner support is available in the U.S. and South Korea with compatible hardware. To enjoy all the benefits of Windows Media Center, Internet access is recommended; for some features, such as the Microsoft Electronic Programming Guide, it is required. Internet service provider subscription or other service fees may apply. Microsoft Electronic Programming Guide is not available in all regions or countries. DVD burning, TV features, and remote control support may vary by manufacturer and/or require additional purchases. Support for the Media Center Extender or Xbox 360 will require a wired or wireless home network and additional compatible networking equipment.
N. Additional compatible networking equipment may be required to set up or access a wired or wireless home network.
O. Some Windows Live OneCare services are not available in all markets. See the Windows Live OneCare website for complete details and offer availability.
P. PC-to-phone calling is a pay service provided by third-party web calling provider, where available.
S. Scheduled and Network Backup is available in Windows Vista Home Premium, Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Ultimate.
U. Windows DVD Maker, HD support for Windows Movie Maker, Chess Titans, and Mahjong Titans are available in Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate.
V. Requires a microphone and speakers or headset (webcam and broadband connection for video).

Ron ( cut-n-paste)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2007, 05:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

A bad point of Vista is if your HD crashes your license expires and you have to call Mickysoft to re-install your legally bought software.You notice I didn't say OWNED because if you read Vistas disclaimer while installing it you only have a license to use the software and don't own it even though you paid 150$ or more for the disc it came on. A few people found out about this disclaimer in the Beta testing and it was changed to a couple of re-installs before you have to buy another license to use your legally purchased disc with the software on it.
My Software of choice is 98SE but Mickysoft will not be supporting it anymore and now that Vista is out Win XP will be discontinued soon as well. Thank you Bill Gates for your non-support of your customers for another buck support business. And please bring your tech-support back to Redmond WA so we don't have to talk to a Paki to get permission to re-install our WinXP software license.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I'll be sticking with XP for a long time I think. I hated windows ME. That was a horrible OS.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:53 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

The problem with computers is that when they come off the assembly line they are obsolete, as far as Microsoft is concerned.
People have always tried to get around buying a software package for each computer they have or letting a friend load the software. You really can't blame Microsoft for trying to protect there software. Awhile back when Lotus 123 was popular I had a business version of it and let everyone I knew load it on there computers, The disk cost 300+$ and they all got it for free. I did the same thing with Word perfect 8. Microsoft is not allowing this to go on with its programs and systems. Can't blame them.

Record industry is being hurt the worst by people getting the music for free, I don't know why they don't encrypt the File extension for the song. seems like a simple thing, They only way to copy it then would be a tape.
Ron
Old 01-31-2007, 11:38 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Windows Vista is IMHO an extremely expensive patch for Windows XP. Also it is an expensive distribution of DirectX 10. Not worth the upgrade until quad core 45nm procs come out and more programs that can take advantage of multiple cores are widely available and being used bug free. Oh, has there been a patch yet for Vista?

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
Old 01-31-2007, 12:24 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Here's a great article in PC Magazine by John C. Dvorak on VISTA!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2088472,00.asp

Doc Urb

'Time does not heal all wounds but forgiveness will heal all time.'-"The Disappearence Of The Universe"
Old 02-01-2007, 02:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

Stick to a Mac. I have an imac G-4 OS 10.4.8 with 2 GHz intel core duo, 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, and I have it partitioned to run Windows XP. With the same downloads that are required for Windows, I can open any application. There are, at this time, only two known viruses that effect Apple, where Windows has thousands.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:03 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

Steve
The problem with Apple is not that it's not a good system, It's that the world is PC not Mac. Sony Bata was a better system then VHS but the whole country had VHS .
Kinda like Ipod, Ipod is nice, but it's a Mac.
It's really not that Mac can run everything, it's that everything else can't run Mac.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

There are definately applications for the Mac. The graphics are far better than the PC. Most colleges have the Mac for printing purposes. Microsoft certainly has the majority of the PC market though. I started on an Apple in highscool doing Apple Basic programming and stuck to the Apple "mind". I went to a gateway with windows ME for a while the system had far too many bugs to deal with. I now have the Mac and Windows XP and have had no problems...yet. Apple could have had the market on the PC but the stopper was Steve Jobs.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

The Stopper as You say was IBM and DOS. Or as The rest of the PC world call it back then "IBM compatible"
Mac's in schools is because the schools get them for FREE.
If they had to buy them, I doubt very much they would be Mac.
As far as Graphics go, it depends on the program, thats all. The RAM and Processor speed are the same. A few High end programs for multi phase 3-D imaging or Holograms run better on a Mac, But That segment of the population is rather small.
Ron