The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Veterans > Veterans Concerns

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Arrow Blue Water Navy AO benefits - see below

Blue Water Navy AO benefits - see below
RE: Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2019 (H.R. 299)

Reply from my Senator Dick Durbin on AO issues for Blue Water Navy VN Veterans:

May 22, 2019

Mr. Wayne E. Lovison
22301 Brookwood Drive
Sauk Village, IL 60411-5807

Dear Mr. Lovison:

Thank you for contacting me about Agent Orange presumption for veterans. I appreciate hearing from you and share your support for providing the best care for our veterans.

The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act of 2019 (H.R. 299), introduced by Representative Mark Takano of California, would provide presumed eligibility for Agent Orange exposure to veterans who served offshore during the Vietnam War. This would allow them to receive the same physical exam as their counterparts who served on land, which could alert them to long-term health problems that may be related to Agent Orange exposure. This bill was referred to the House Veterans' Affairs Committee.

During the Vietnam War, our Armed Forces sprayed approximately 20 million gallons of the herbicide Agent Orange in Vietnam to remove foliage that covered enemy areas. This herbicide has been linked to a variety of health problems, nervous system issues, and different forms of cancer.

In 1991, Congress passed a law that allows the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to cover illnesses that were directly linked to Agent Orange exposure. The VA offers an Agent Orange Registry health exam, which alerts veterans to possible long-term health problems that may be related to Agent Orange exposure during their military service. The exam includes an exposure history, medical history, and physical exam.

In 2002, the VA determined that only veterans who had served on land during the Vietnam War would be presumed eligible. This makes it difficult for veterans who served offshore to receive treatment for health problems related to possible Agent Orange exposure unless they are able to prove direct exposure. The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act would expand presumed eligibility to these veterans.

I also cosponsored the Toxic Exposure Research Act of 2015 (S. 901) during the 114th Congress, which would have established a national center at a VA medical facility for research on the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions of the descendants of individuals exposed to toxic substances during their military service. Unfortunately, this legislation was not considered by the full Senate prior to the end of that Congress.

Veterans and their families deserve the best care possible after sacrificing so much. I will continue to work to ensure that we meet our commitments to our veterans. I will keep your concerns in mind as the Senate debates the care of our veterans as it relates to Agent Orange.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ma

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: suggest you contact your Representative(s) regarding this issue to ensure we get as many of them as possible to pass this legislation to cover Veterans during these actions.

Thanks - Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links