The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2003, 06:38 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Where I live & What I do

I drove down Sunday Morning to se my son in San Luis Obispo.
He's going to school there (1 more year!! YAY!!) and also buying a house.
I drove down the Old Mision Trail Route, south from. San Jose (Sannazay) This is Steinbeck country, the names appear in all his books: Salinas, Soledad,San Ardo, Chualar, King City, San Miguel,Paso Robles.
but I drove back up Highway i.. if you get up early in the AM as the sun is just breaking over the hills to the east and drive north up Highway One from Morro Bay, up past Cambria, and Hearsts Castle, Gorda and Harmony, St Lucia and Big Sur youre driving on the prettiest road in CA--130 miles of it and you can't drive it slow enough for the beauty--the mountains towering so high all the way to the foaming sea..
I haven't driven the road in over 20 years an the last time it was in a winnebago with a wife and kid. This time it was all by myself, sunroof down and windows open, Bird Parker on the CD blasting the hot sax, A GORGEOUS DAY. Nobody on the road but me And its the middle of WINTER, lucky you live Californa, bra!.
I don't know whats pretter than seing the sun burn off the last clinging valley fog off the soft hills to a verdant green on a Californa morning. Its a 2.5 hour drive but it took me closer to 4--I don't remember when Ive stopped to look at the view so many times.
North of Hearsts Castle the road runs along cliffs, swooping and turning sharp corners. This is THE best motorcycle putt, you'll EVER ride. No competition
Didn't have the camera with me so I'll try to give you a poor word picture: Imagine standing high on a clif looking over the ocean on a gorgeous clear dayt, warm, not a cloud in the sky. At youre back, youre looking at thousand foot cliffs an higher, in places the waterfalls cascade hundreds of feet. Looking out over the ocean maybe 40 miles, looking up and down the coast at leaszt 50 miles in bothe directions. Its not often you see about a zillion square miles of Earth's surface sitting in front of you and its impressive--whats REALLY impressive is that youre the only one in the picture--just you and God and the central California Coast. Just a light offshore breeze to ripple the surface. The pounding waves on the rocks offshore throw water 100' high
and the COLORS!! The browns, the reds, the greens, the deepest, deep blue. Maybe it takes an artist to appreciate it--thats why I know Gods an artist. The next time I bring my easel and paints, I could spend a week driving these 130 miles.
No hurries, no wants, nothing to do, everything's perfect (another Zen moment, Fred) but caper around yelling: "Yes!! Yes!!! Thank You GOD!!! Thank you for all this!!!! Let it happen to ME!" God loves his favorite children and probably likes to be appreciated in return.
The road is narrow and windy for much of the ride but there's no need at all for hurry. Every time I thought i'd become jaded, I turned another corner and had to stop ANOTHER time to se the heart stopping views. Breathtaking, Its like driving for 3+ hours in a picture postcard
At the top of this drive is Carmel and Pebble Beach and I took the drive through there also ($8) coming out at Pacific Grove. This is one of the small little old towns thats been all redone to stratified yuppiness but it is pretty and in addition, has the best antique store in a 100 miles. I don't buy antiques much but some and I love to look at them--this is an old 4 story department store just full of em.
driving east of this puts you right on Monterey's Cannery Row (more Steinbeck) and driving past the still working Fishermans wharf.
And then Fort Ord. Its a state college now ( and a mighty ugly one, too--Early Stalinist but with murals) but most of the old buildings are there I have a tradition of stopping at Ft Ord whenever I go by, going back to my old D-2-2 (AIT) company area and pissing on the door of the orderly room--God its fun being me!!
What am I going to do today?? I don't know either but chances are good I'm goin to have a great time doing it.
THE 49ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing more to say!!!!!!

James

happy just to be alive
Old 01-07-2003, 02:34 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

It really sounds great!

It makes me want to get on a good bike and cruise the coast. Maybe someday.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I wish I could have been there with you. My short stay in Ridgecrest was really great. I got to see Death Valley, King's Canyon, Bridal Veil falls, El Capitan.....All really great places. I even got to pan for gold in the Kern River. Anyone who hasn't seen Gen. Grant and Gen. Sherman just doesn't know what they are missing. I envy you James; those are fond memories for me and everyday life for you.

Chilidog
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to masher51
Default Highway # 1

I would love to ride My Ultra down that highway just once in this life.You did a great job covincing me that would be the ulimate run!

mash
Old 01-07-2003, 08:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Super Post !!

Enjoyed your descriptions. Just like a painting. I wasn't able to go with my wife and visit her sister this past July in San Francisco, but I still have my ticket and am going to use it before it expires. She had a blast !

Are you still going back to 'Nam this year ? By yourself or with a group ? The 25th Inf. Div. Assoc. has a good package deal so that you can go with a group of other vets. In some ways I would like to go back and in other ways not....

All the best from your Confederate / Conservative / Libertarian / Anarchic ( sp? ... Anarchy ) 'Bro.....

Larry
Old 01-08-2003, 05:08 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Re: Super Post !!

Quote:
[i]Are you still going back to 'Nam this year ? By yourself or with a group ? The 25th Inf. Div. Assoc. has a good package deal so that you can go with a group of other vets. In some ways I would like to go back and in other ways not....

Larry
yep, still going in April, with my girlfriend, another 101st Vietnam vet and his wife. I'm really looking forward to it.the claim that we're only taking our ol ladies along so we can finally claim we nailed roundeyed women in Vietnam is a base canard
TRhats a great idea--it hadn't occurred to me but there probly is a 101st tour thing too.I'll look it up--I expect to be buying the tickets soon.

Chao Ong!!! Does anybody know how to say:"I come in peace!!"
Also "I want to speak to my Embasy now!" All I remember is Didimau, comsai, Dung Lai, boomboom and Dau Tie Lin (put your weapon down!)

James
Old 01-08-2003, 05:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Good luck guys. Not sure if I would ever go back to Iraq or not, unfornately some of our brothers are getting an all expense paid trip for free. At any rate, I wish you the best on your upcoming journey.

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:18 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Quote:
Originally posted by chilidog I wish I could have been there with you. My short stay in Ridgecrest was really great. I got to see Death Valley, King's Canyon, Bridal Veil falls, El Capitan.....All really great places. I even got to pan for gold in the Kern River. Anyone who hasn't seen Gen. Grant and Gen. Sherman just doesn't know what they are missing. I envy you James; those are fond memories for me and everyday life for you.

Chilidog
Dave

Come out to CA and we'll go on this drive. I didn't say it before but there are some of the most beautiful inns and Bed and breakfasts along here. Esalen is the most famous, its dropdead gorgeous.
There's a big redwood grove at BigSur we useta go camping there in the BSA.
Happy New Yrears, Dave and to Darlene too. I got some presnts for you when I come to Louisiana this year, souvenir of Alcatraz
James
Old 01-08-2003, 05:23 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default The ultimate run

Quote:
Originally posted by masher51 I would love to ride My Ultra down that highway just once in this life.You did a great job covincing me that would be the ulimate run!

mash
it is--let me know when you come and I'll ride shotgun with you. roll up your bedroll, there's several great camping spots along the road. And I didn't say anything about Hearsts Castle--this is also a must see--its fantastic, don't miss it. Plan to stay at least one day at Hearsts Castle for sure, there's campsites and motels fairly close

More travel tips:
if you go south from Monterey (opposite from the way I wen) make sure you stay at Sycamore Springs (Sycamoresprings.com) near Avila Beach when you get to SLO.
This is a worldclass resort with a world class restaurant--gorgeous suites, a hot tub for every room. You can get a package deal that makes it about $130 night, with dinner and breakfast thrown in, I would say this is about in the top 5 restaurants in CA. IMHO, but not all that expensive.
This would be the ultimate ending to the world's best biker putt

James
Old 01-08-2003, 05:27 AM

If anyone has room for a passenger, would you swing by Buffalo and pick me up?