The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2003, 11:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Lightbulb I have wondered for 32 years ........

..... what my men thought of me in combat. Through the computer I have made contact with two guys that were in my platoon. One just a few days ago. One of the ways I have tried to remain sane is to convince myself I SAVED lives , but their bodies too often told me I failed. That mission/men thing is tough. I spoke to one guy last night for the first time since that time. Tiny told me they were glad I was there, that I gave them comfort , took heat from above, that I was a rebellious LT . and I was THERE. That I gave them comfort when they were dying following my orders is a hugh burden lifted from me. He said ( and they did ) that they would have followed me to hell and back.. I am honored and humbled in my soul to have served with such outstanding people. Thank you for listening and a specail thanks to sis and Dave and Burn for this communication site. God bless us one and all. Welcome home.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2003, 11:48 AM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

LT, I realize that i do not know you very well, but having read most of your posts, i feel as though I do. I think that Tiny talking to and remembering you after all these years proves that you had the right stuff! I would also like to take this time to thank you for your service, time, friendship, and for giving this country the best years of your young life. Thank you Sir. Godspeed!

Trav

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 01-10-2003, 12:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default John...

... In bearing the brunt of the burden, you distingushed yourself long ago, and like many great leaders, the lose of even one life may torment you, and although the number is more then one, undoubtly the others that lived through your leadership have reinforced that belief...
...nothing can measure the strengths required to be a leader,...
...nothing can measure the courage required to be a leader,...

...when your asses were on the line, day, and night, you did more then survive,... you kept many others alive by your strength of character, your determination, and their faith in you, period...

...people like us question our deliverence, and refuse to accept the end result as sometimes it never ends, but in retrospect, men such as you, and the many others in your position, devoted everything humanly possible to the safety of their men,...

...their is nothing I can say to ease that burden, other then saying that after reading your posts here for a long time, I would serve under, and next to you anytime, anywhere...

(FIPP), That's one sharp,crisp hand salute...

..."Welcome Home"...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 01-10-2003, 04:19 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default May God Bless !!

I am glad you were able to contact your fellow warriors. The six hours I spent on the phone to Wyoming with Gary O. from my platoon, was my "debriefing" that I didn't get for 30 years. I could feel the pressure, the burdens, and the knot in my stomach dissipate as I talked to him. I would urge anyone reading this who would like to contact their old platoon mates to do so. Don't wait !! All the divisions have associations now, and with the internet, it is a breeze.

I salute you sir, as an officer and as a gentlemen, and as a fellow sojurner "in that 'ol crazy Asian war". < FIPP >

Larry

darn i got something in my eye.....
Old 01-10-2003, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

You got

The most important thanks of all: from your guys. If you remember I got thanks from that Cobra pilot that got his leg shot off. I do know how you feel. Obviously you were damn good at your job. It seems all we remember are our losses. But our successes we forgot. I am glad you got reminded. You WERE one of the good guys. Welcome home, John.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to masher51
Default LT

Don't worry sir, I would have followed my Lt anywhere.He was a
super leader and he cared about us grunts.I'm sure your men
hold you in the highest esteem!
From a Spec 4 I want to say "Welcome Home Sir"
masher
Old 01-10-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Make it worth it!

There has been a lot written on leadership and what makes a good leader. I think that the kind of men who are willing to follow you into battle is the true measure. As to whether you made the grade is irrelevant to those who made the ultimate sacrifice. For those who survived there is much value in such reunions as Memorial Day, Anzac Day, VP Day and VE Day. Getting along to those days and talking to guys in your unit you get a feel for the value of your actions.

For those who didn't come back the most important thing, I believe, is that line from the movie Private Ryan.

Make it worth it.

In other words make your life a reflection of what they would have wanted had they returned. You can do no more than that and they would not expect any more.

I hope I've expressed this in a way that my ture feelings come across. You cannot survive living a life of self doubt. The decisions you made at the time were the RIGHT decisions. The consequences are the consequence of war.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:10 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Default Lt

sent me the mail from Tiny this morning. Thirty-two years is a long time but Tiny's memory is clear and sharp about his Lt. Tiny made it clear that Lt was deeply admired for many reasons and the Lt didn't take "no shit" from the higher ups. He stood up for his men. A pretty good word from an NCO that told Lt they would have followed him to hell and back. And as Lt said they did just that. Man I love this stuff it makes me laugh and cry at the same time. Laugh because it brings healing and cry because the pain has been carried for so long. You can bet there was more than just a little somethin' in my eye this morning. Here they come again (the tears that is) got to go...

God Bless our Warriors. Then and Now.

Arrow>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 PM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Leaders of Men

John, I have been in treatment including group therapy for quite some time now,and have seen and learned about the tremendous burden carried by you who had the ominous task of leading us into some of the shittiest deals on earth..sometimes knowing the odds were definately stacked against coming out with the whole platoon.It takes a very special man to bear that huge responsibility.God Bless You Lt.,SIR! I salute you.I pray for your peace

By the way..Tiny wouldn`t be from Massachusetts by any chance?

Peace,Griz
Old 01-11-2003, 05:00 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I read the email too

I guess it does ease the pain a little from those 3Ms, to hear that your men respected you and would follow you anywhere. That email was probably the best decoration you could ever receive. Kind of like the Palm Tree for Mr. Roberts.

I am proud to call you my friend.

Sid