Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to 82Rigger
Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Bonds and Ruth

Barry Bonds - 712 home runs

Babe Ruth - 714 home runs

I find it difficult to say those two names in the same sentence.

Kind of..."sticks in my throat"...if ya know what I mean. :re:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2006, 05:10 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Yep, know exactly what you mean! I can't believe the way ESPN is kissin' Bonds' ass!
Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 AM

Remember there will be an ( * ) to his batting title.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 05-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Robert J Ryan

Yep it will say on steroids next to Bonds name. But the pitchers who were on steroids names won't be next to Bonds name saying this pitcher was also on steroids when he pitched to Bonds. The Babe did it all on his own. So did Maris, Mantle, Mays, Ted Williams, Joe Dimaggio, Stan Musal; the list could go on and on.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

And Last on that list was little Hank Arron of the Atlanta Braves who made Home run history without the aide of performance enhancing drugs. Him and the Babe are two of my all time hero's of Baseball
Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

As most of you know I played ball before being drafted. Bob Gibson, St. Louis Cardinals, threw one at my head during warm ups. I knew I would not get in the game and he was not scheduled to pitch. I asked if I could try and hit a few from him. Made the mistake of trying to crowd "his" plate. The ball came at me at light speed. I barely got down......He looked me in the eye and said "THAT'S MY PLATE ROOKIE". He never took a steroid and I never saw it in the minors or even heard about it in the couple days I was in the show. Years ago I liked Bonds and his father. I don't even thing they should be reporting this and it should not show in the record book. But, then again, has he been convicted or has it been proved? I know we all know, but I don't remember if he has actually popped positive yet. I hate all this steroid stuff but do know it's been in football since at least the early 70's.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 05-05-2006, 07:39 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post The Problem Wasn't the Players as much as . . . .

The players should pay the price for using illegal drugs! They broke the law! However, I believe that major league baseball knew they had a problem but buried their heads. Lots of home runs meant that more revenue at the ball park. While other sports had had rigid drug testing, (the purist of all sports "choke") major league baseball winked and even accepted steriods because they wanted the almighty dollar. These young men realizing the benefits ($) from feats on the field were encouraged by the cheers, the money incentives, and the quite approval of major league baseball itself to use these drugs. Yes, they failed miserably but if major league baseball had instituted a good drug testing policies back in the late eighties and early nineties this wouldn't have happened. The players union fought against drug testing and major league baseball itself didn't do much of anything. These were youngmen being led astray by the whores of fame and financial gain, and at such time in their lives when they needed someone to establish moral standards, alas, no one was there. Who do we blame? Maybe all of us but I believe more blame goes to major league baseball itself and the players union than to the players.
Should their records have an astrick by them: You bet ya. Their records should show they cheated, even though they were aided by the powers to be.

Keith

P.S. Paco Tom,
The reason you never used drugs is that you are old! Steriods hadn't even been invented yet! when you played. We are all old!
Geezers I say, all of us are geezers.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

I don't think he has ever tested positive but then he uses designer steroids. Much like designer drugs (GHB, Ecstasy, etc.). All they have to do is change the make up of the drug slightly to produce something that will not show up on a test. Newer designer drugs are not even technically illegal until they have been analyzed and categorized.

Personally I think he sucks, he sends a horrible message to children and should have his record wiped out of every book mentioning him as well as his name permanently banned from the hall of fame. He knew what he was doing, he was cheating and encouraging many of our children to do the same. Unfortunately for those children they do not have the millions Bonds has to have a doctor supervised program of steroid use and most that follow his path will get them in gyms and drug houses leaving them open to many unpleasant results.

Bonds is the epitome of the dark side of American culture, "Win at any cost, no matter the consequences".
Old 05-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Robert J Ryan

Paco who did you play for. I have been a Yankees fan since I was 7 years old 1955, Mickey Mantle was my idol (I know that he was a a drunk and woman chaser, but didn't know this as a kid). I remember seeing Bob Gibson pitch against the Yankees in a World Series. He sure had some heat when he pitched.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:19 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Keith....Geezer's we are. Pighumper noticed that we were all talking about what medications we take instead of talking about women. Geezers-R-Us!

Robert...Got called up to Pittsburgh in 68' when Jerry May got hurt. Never got in a game though. Worked Bull-pen. Catcher. Only stayed 20 days. Got to meet some greats but not any Yankee's. Loved Mantle also no matter what he did. Nothing he did was game enhancing and he still was a great ball player.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)