The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2003, 01:32 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation Non-Political Issues

?Don?t fart, lest ye be chastised!?

?When one runs for public office, even the family dog is apparently put under extreme scrutiny!? It happened when Governor Jeb Bush?s (R) daughter was in trouble for drugs, and it is happening again, now that Howard Dean?s (D) son is accused of absconding with a little grog (booze) from a local country club!

?Get real?, Republican or Democrat, the guy (or gal) running for office can not be held accountable for each and every unfortunate action of a family member!

The accusation here entails the theft of liquor by a 17-year-old, who will now be charged as an adult! Hey, maybe it wasn?t right or smart, but for gosh sakes, you can not fault a man for every screw-up of an adolescent family member! This is a family problem, and it hardly ranks up there with Benedict Arnold or Watergate! And just as George and Jeb could not be faulted for the lack of wisdom of a sibling, so too, should Howard Dean be given a little slack during this non- political issue!

?Hell, I hear tell where even President Grant occasionally liberated a little booze that happened to fall within his reach!?

?There is more than enough political intrigue floating around, without making the foolish actions of a mere kid an election issue!? (opinion)

VERITAS

Old 06-21-2003, 10:38 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Dean

There is little doubt the story would have made the news but it's bigger news because Dean will not be attending a forum where all the (D) candidates will be gathering. Your right, the actions of a child does not make a person presidential material but it is news. Back in the day of Teddy Roosevelt his daughter was forever doing things that embarrassed the prez. At one point Teddy said, "I can run the country or I can control Alice but I can't do both". This is nothing new. What would make this big news is if Dean's son and stolen liquor from the Bush twins.

By the way, in the New England states 16 and under is a juvenile. 18 is an adult. 17 is sort of limbo, a person is charged as an adult but a parent or guardian must be present during court appearances. Hence, being charged as an adult is a given. Needing a parent(s) in court is necessary. Dad is just doing his duty.

Lets hope none of the candidates try to make this an issue. The press making it an issue, well they aren't elected so they'll fill up that 24 hours per day with whatever they can. I'm just glad that my father never ran for office and people weren't keeping a close eye on me.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 03:49 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Why Andy - and all of this time I thought you were a saintly New England kid!? (LOL)
Old 06-23-2003, 11:25 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default HC

Oh I never really did anything wrong. Sure when a car's speed -o-meter said 100, I wanted to see if that was true. Bought my first 6 pack at 16, a few girls made it to the back seat of dad's car and there was the occasional fight but not anything really bad.
About the only thing I did that made some people angry involved a police cruiser. At 17 I saw one parked near a coffee shop. It had black wall tires which seemed to indicate a poor community. With a can of white spray paint, the police car got white walls. Now some might think that was a good deed, but a few police officers were rather upset, were still bitching about the incident 5 years later when I became a cop.

Stay healthy, stay out of trouble,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

"Shame on you Andy - You are human after all!" LOL

And for the record, here in San Diego County, a former Irish Sheriff (John Duffey) had all police cruisers painted "Kelly Green!"

Well, he is now gone (retired), and our "Fuzz-Mobiles" are back to a respectable "Black & White!"

"Blarney, Is Nothing Sacred A-Tall!?"

Hey, if you think Green Cruisers are weird, before the green, I am told that they were "PINK!?"

"I wonder if we bought then in Frisco?"

PS- The San Diego Sheriff Department was begun in 1850, and I am told that one of the Earps eventually served in it!

Here is the Sheriff's web site, if you would like to check it out!
www.sdsheriff.net

VERITAS & BEGORA