The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2003, 05:30 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Tet +35 years

Thirty-five years ago ? a lifetime for some ? a lifetime never realized by others ? and an eternity for still others ? an event occurred, so primal, so coarse, so epochal that it has become the benchmark of our lives. From that cauldron of chaos, that crucible of inhuman intensity arose a rare form of union that makes us different. We are no better than others who were there - the company clerk, the finance officer, or the countless other support personnel ? not better, just different. We have withstood the very worst that inhumanity can force upon human beings, and we have maintained our sanity, our sense of purpose, and sometime even our sense of humor.

We have moved forward to our own individual series of victories, sometimes interspersed with failures, creating lives for ourselves, striving to become what Our Creator intended us to be. We have walked the hollow streets of commerce, the hallowed halls of Congress, and the holy fields of grain and cattle, not better than our neighbors, only different. And there is that small part within all of us that draws us like a moth to a flame - to that Day of Days that make us different.

We remember who we were, and who we have become. We remember those whose shortened lives made us more sensitive to the living. While we mourn their death, we give thanks for their service, and for that rare opportunity to have been in their presence, if only briefly. We remember all that we have accomplished, and are reminded of exciting challenges that lie ahead. We give thanks for all our blessings while striving to make the world a better place.

It is indeed an honorable thing to defend one?s country from threatening forces. Perhaps it is not only honorable, but one?s sacred duty. This, among other reasons, is why I hold our WWII vets in such high esteem. And it is even more noble, more sacrificial, and enormously more difficult, to fight for another country?s freedoms and liberties. Such were our sacrifices in Vietnam, a land threatened and later overwhelmed by communist tyranny. In its stifling of individual freedoms, its denial of basic human rights, and its deadly response to any opposition, the communists have always erected barriers to any exodus. The Berlin Wall, the Iron Curtain and the Bamboo Curtain were not built to keep people out of the Workers? Paradise. Over the decades of communism?s repressive reign, millions of people have tried, fewer millions have succeeded, and tragically, other millions have died trying to flee and find freedom and liberty, much like we enjoy today. Despite the eventual deceit of the North Vietnamese Army and their re-invasion of Vietnam, we few, we happy few, we band of brothers, bled, suffered and watched our brothers die in our valiant efforts to bring and maintain liberty in a foreign land. Our sacrifice, our noble cause, was totally misinterpreted, treated with scorn and contempt, while we began to doubt ourselves. But the passage of time, and the silencing of shrill animus has been followed by the thoughtful reflective realization and now acknowledgement and appreciation of who we were, and what we did. We were the warriors, standing in the breach of the wall of decency and human dignity, repelling the barbarians at the gate. We few, we noble few, can stand tall and justified by the reality of our sacrifices, by the dignity of our efforts, and by the integrity of our goals.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2003, 05:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to catman Send a message via Yahoo to catman
Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Thank you, and welcome home.

Trav

P.S. My Father was at Quan Loi during Tet 68.

Godspeed and keep low!
Old 01-30-2003, 06:01 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default AMEN.. and Welcome Home ! to any lurking brothers out there...

Excellent post !

larry ... just ... larry

DEO VINDICE
Old 01-30-2003, 08:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default All.

...All of your brothers in the heavens are swelled with Honor, and renewed pride...

...words worth chiseling in granite for they are a gracious tribute of truth...

...Welcome Home...

Tom "ANDY" Andrzejczyk

Old 01-30-2003, 08:54 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Unhappy Scout

Well that was beautiful. You may have gone just a tad over the line when you said we kept our sanity, speaking for myself of course, but it was beautiful. Matter of fact, it caused just a quick flash back.

For a moment, just a moment, I could smell a diesel engine and gun powder and fear. I could see way too many enemy troops who were getting closer, kind of fast. Their green tracers were bouncing off of our APC and there was that distinctive cracking noise as the bullets just missed. The sound of 82?s landing entirely too close mixed with primeval sounds coming from men half crazed or wounded. The increasable dryness in the mouth that couldn?t have been quenched with a case of beer. My head oscillating as was the barrel of the fifty. Squeezed those twin handles so tightly and pushing on the butterfly trigger so hard, the thought crossed my mind, ?I need to ease up, I might break this thing?.

It was 35 years ago we said good by to those fine young men? Youths who we never really had a chance to say good by to. Men who died and we still wonder, ?Why was it him and not me? Why in God?s name am I alive??

Feb. 5th , 67 I enlisted in the Army. On Feb. 2nd, 68 I was an acting platoon Sergeant who had been put in for a bronze. No bragging, I swear - just can?t imagine that that really happened. Did it happen or were we just kids having a communal nightmare? As the years go by it seems less real, it couldn?t have been real. The music, the girls we knew we?d love forever, ?Batman?, ?Combat?, ?Gilligan?s Island?, those were all real. But all those people trying to kill me? Did it all Really happen?

Stay healthy and be happy, you may not get another chance,
Andy
Old 01-31-2003, 02:06 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default 35 years

We must be getting old-but we were so young then.I left 35 years and 9 days ago.Never knew how my buddies fared during Tet.Always felt that I was glad I missed it,mixed with guilt for leaving them behind.Mabe some day I`ll get the balls to find out...Beautiful words,Scout

Peace,Griz
Old 01-31-2003, 04:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Thank you Scout, very beautiful. Got something in my eye - again.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:04 AM

phuloi, I know how you feel about the ones we left behind the feeling of guilt never seems to go away a about two years ago started to look into some of the guys from my old sq. had to stop because the first three I looked up was on the wall haven't tryed sence call me a coward if you wont I don't have the ball's to look any more. like wise Scout beautiful words.
razz
Old 01-31-2003, 06:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Great Post Scout!

Your contributions to this forum are invaluable. That was truly a wonderful and thought provoking piece. Thanks so much for your energy.

Razz, you are no coward. I too can no longer go to the Wall. My last time was with Andy and Doc Fred. I swore then it was the last. Quote the Raven, "Nevermore".

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 01-31-2003, 06:49 AM

Default many thanks for the beautiful words...

We ( all of us ) must never forget what happened in South East Asia from 1959 - 1975, not for one damn year, not for one damn month, not for damn day, not for one damn minute. The sacred blood of our precious warriors demands no less !

11bravo