Old 02-10-2006, 08:38 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default The "Grey Ghost" Passes Away

The "Grey Ghost" Passes Away
By Charlene Shirk
First Coast News
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/t...?storyid=51463

JACKSONVILLE BEACH, FL -- He was considered the greatest escape artist of World War II -- taken as a prisoner, he slipped out of the enemy's hands seven times. He was so adept at escaping capture, he earned the name "the Grey Ghost."

Frank Grey died over the weekend at his home in Jacksonville Beach. His family tells First Coast News that Grey became a wartime legend because of his defiance in the face of the enemy.

"He never talked about what he did. That was part of the military code. You didn't talk about what you had done, especially if you had escaped from the enemy."

Paul Knight was a bunk mate of Grey's during their imprisonment in the infamous Stalag 17, a Nazi POW camp known for its brutal conditions.

Grey's son Lindsey says the family could always see the impact the war had on their father. He never liked to talk about it even though a movie and a book both detailed his exploits.

"Dad was a person who was very much impacted by the horrors of war. So much impacted that it followed him through life 60 years after the war."

What also followed Grey was the name he earned after being the only American known to escape from Stalag 17. He was so elusive to the Germans he became known as the "Grey Ghost."

"I think he was rather proud of it."

Grey's son Bill say he realized the importance of his father's story to the family's history. The two set out to chronicle his experience in his own words.

Bill Grey says he even has a letter his father wrote while hiding in the tunnels of Stalag 17. His father wrote it in case he did not survive the war his family would know what happened to him. Grey's letter is now a part of one of the most historic escapes in military history.

"Many people say he was an escape artist when it counted and he was."

Grey was a tail gunner on a B-17 of the 92nd Bomb Group of the 8th Air Force in England when his plane was shot down. He was captured by the Nazi's and immediately hid among the 4,000 POW's when he arrived at the barracks. His comrades concealed him, allowing him to slip throughout the barracks undetected until he could escape through underground tunnels they dug.

A movie and the book "The Flame Keepers" both detail how Grey and other American prisoners held their resolve. Though Grey never liked to talk about his historic role in the war, his daughter, Jane Painter, believes it was his honor for his country that kept him fighting for his freedom.

"He just had a sheer determination and will power."

"I wasn't going to let them win and overtake me. I was fighting for my country."

Grey received the Distinguished Flying Cross, a Purple Heart and the POW Medal. He is survived by his wife of 61 years and three very proud children.

Created: 2/10/2006 526 PM
Old 02-17-2006, 11:17 AM

Jerry - it's a shame - but once they are gone we can never talk with them or know what they are thinking about any longer. The WWII Vets are really thinning out and soon it will be the Korean and VN followed by our newest Vets.

We loose so much history with the passing of each individual. Now we loose the Grey Ghost whose passing we can only reflect on based on what has been written about him.

Each year at the Veterans and Memorial get together's I see more and more of these great people disappearing. Yes they do fade away and only a few of us have been lucky enough to shake their hand and look them in the eye while they were alive.

Only then do you feel their strength and see in their eyes the wisdom of having been there and gone through such an ordeal.

I appreciate the older Vets. They are truly often overlooked and thats a shame as we are all moving into their shadows as each year passes. Moments in history only to be replaced by others for their moment in history. It's a sad day each time we loose one.

All those in my family including myself have served. Now gone is my Grand-Father, Dad, Uncle and Brother - but they did their time. I can only hope they will come for me when my time comes.

God bless all the old soldier's and God protect the new ones.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:10 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

"Amen" to that
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Robert J Ryan

RIP Gray Ghost. Thank you for you service in WWII.