The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > Political Debate

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BLUEHAWK
Distinctions
Contributor 
Default ACLU is no longer American

[Long read... get some coffee or water, sit back, relax, consider fully and completely the exact words as written.]

Today (8.23.05) I received in my postal mail the following unsolicited paper message from a Nadine Strossen, duly-elected President of the ACLU.

This really upsets me, and I'd like all here to read her exact words (typed out in full by my beloved Lady Blue):

"Dear Friend of Freedom:

There is no higher calling, nor greater reward, that democracy can offer an individual than the opportunity to stand up for fundamental freedoms in trying times.

That's why I hope you will accept my invitation to become the newest card-carrying member of the American Civil Librties Union.

These are, indeed, trying times for civil liberties.

For the past four years, the most powerful politicians in American have made it their mission to accumulate unchecked government power, relentlessly undermining civil liberties. The results of the November elections have only strengthened their hand.

The Bush administration is claiming a post-election mandate to wage a no-holds-barred campaign to challenge our most fundamental freedoms. In unprecedented ways, they are invading our privacy, undermining our Constition and squelching dissent. All too frequently, they are shamelessly using the "war on terror" as cover for their assault.

And the risk doesn't come just from opponents of civil liberties eager to seize the moment. It coms as well from those politicians who claim to be friends of liberty, but yield to timidity precisely when freedom needs them most.

Here is what we're dealing with as a result of the Bush Administration's arrogant disregard for our freedom: secret and unlawful detentions and other violations of due process; repression of dissent and freedom of speech; increased use of government watch lists that catch innocent people in a web of suspicion; and unchecked government authority to force libraries and bookstores to report on the reading habits of their patrons.

Is this the America in which you want to live? I know it isn't, and I'm confident that you will help resist this radical reshaping of our nation -- and this subversion of our highest national ideals -- by joining the ACLU today.

The Bush Administration and its allies have been quick to challenge the patriotism of anyone who dares to question their unprecedented, unnecessary an dunjustified incursions into our freedoms. And our civill liberties have suffered as a result because too many members of Congress, on both sides of the aisle, have failed to resist these erosions of our most basic rights.

But there is encouraging news.

Over the past four years, the ACLU and its members have shown that we can be successful in defending freedom even in the most inhospitable climate. We have built bipartisan congressional support for eliminating certain unwarranted, dangerous provisions of the Patriot Act, and we have inspired a resounding chorus of diverse voices, from individuals and community groups all across the country, calling for measures to reverse the government's unjustified overreaching and to resotre our precious freedoms.

We have challenged the Patriot Act in court and won. We have squelched numerous government programs designed to spy on Americans. We have won legal victories curtailing executive power. We have defeated the first-ever federal abortion ban in court.

I tell you now that we intend to build on these past successes, and we intend to win. We must win, because we are in a contest over fundamental principles. You can become a vital part of these essential efforts by joining the ACLU today.

As I write this, the ACLE is standing up for freedom in a clear, unequivocal and effective fashion. We are working to counteract the Bush Administration's aggressive efforts to defend the Patriot Act and to make permanent some of its most unwarranted, invasive provisions, which are due to expire next year unless Congress acts to renew them.

President Bush and spokespersons in his Administration continue spreading misinformation and distortions in an attempt to disguise the ways in which the Patriot Act seriously and needlessly undermines our civil liberties.

The ACLU has been there to counter them at every turn. We are in court challenging the most serious abuses of this troubling legislation. We are also expanding our public outreach and grassroots organizing efforts, which have been such effective tools in exposing the many ways in which the Patriot Act unjustifiably undermines the rights of everyone in this country.

With the election behind them, administration officials also can be expected to push aggressively a social agenda fueled by the President's personal religious beliefs. From abortion rights, to same-sex marriage, to government-funded religion, they'll continue their efforts to turn America into a country that dictates its citizens' moral choices.

Through their global gag rules and their federal abortion ban, they'll try to dimish the rights of women to control their most personal decisions, with the ultimate goal being the overturning of Roe v. Wade. The ACLU will take them on, forcefully defending reproductive rights in every available forum. And we know we can win, as we did earlier this year, when a federal trial court struck down the first-ever federal abortion ban because it fails to provide an exception to protect women's health.

No issue we face in the second term of the Bush Administration will be more challenging, or of greater consequence, than our struggle to protect religious liberty. At every turn, the President and his allies will continue to blue the line separating church and state. This is a battle that will be played out in the Supreme Court, which has taken up three critical cases involving religious liberty, and in states and communities across America.

In the wake of the election, the forces of the extreme religious right feel emboldened and empowered, and will no doubt expand their grassroots efforts to institutionalize discrimination against same sex couples, to put government-sponsored prayer in our public schools, to limit access to abortion wherever and whenevr possible and to impose their own religious beliefs on all aspects of our community life. With more than 50 affiliates nationwide, the ACLU is on the ground and ready to take on these fights whenever and wherever they occur.

What's it going to take to meet the enormous challenges we now face?

It's going to take the wisdom and experience of ACLU lawyers who have been through the fire when it comes to defending our rights at moments of peril. It's going to take the skill and energy of ACLU advocates who know how to advance smart legislative strategies and build strong, bipartisan coalitions on Capitol Hill.

It will require the hard work of ACLU affiliates, grassroots organizers and online activists, in building popular support for civil liberties. And it will take a massive communications effort, using every tool and forum available to convey our powerful message.

But more than anything, it is going to take a growing, strong and vibrant ACLU membership. Being a member of the ACLU means having the courage of your convictions when our civil liberties are most at risk.

I opened this letter by asking you personally to participate in a spirited affirmation of our most deeply held values. I close by reminding you that, in every time of crisis, there are those in powerful positions who wrongly insist that we must trade away our fundamental freedoms to secure our safety.

No organization can challenge that idea more effectively than the ACLU. And no individual can take your place in supporting our work.

I hope you will accept my invitation to join the ACLU today and support our efforts with a contribution of $20, $35 or even $50 to help preserve our great American traditions of freedom, equality and justice.

Sincerely,
Nadine Strossen
President

P.S. The strength of great movements is always found in the people who support and sustain them. We need people like you. Please accept my invitation to become a proud, card-carrying member of the ACLU."

What say you?

I say commie fascists, doing their level best to kill us.

Sir Blue
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM

ACLU or DNC???
Old 08-23-2005, 06:11 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

I don't know how anyone in their right mind could support the ACLU if they know theywent to bat forNAMBLA.

Web Definition of NAMBLA:

the North American Man/Boy Love Association. NAMBLA (pronounced "NAM-bluh") is an organized group of pedophiles which is dedicated to promoting the normalization and legalization of men having sex with boys. NAMBLA members may be respected members of the community with stature in such fields as education and medicine.

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 08-23-2005, 08:42 PM

Distinctions
Staff 

ACLU=Anti-Americans, Communists, and Liberals United

This group should have the RECO statutes used against them and be investigated for treason.

President Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Civil War History
Military History Blog
Frontier Battles
5th Minnesota Infantry, Company D

Old 08-24-2005, 01:19 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Friends & Fellow Patriots...

Not much to add, since obvious Leftist and/or typical Democrat Party helpful and actually nationally undermining propaganda or political BS, deceptively posing as somehow superiorily righteous,...pretty-much exposes itself to all but fools.

Regardless, I believe The ACLU should do a total 180 and instead become honest with The American People FOR-A-CHANGE.
A good start would be by using my past renaming of such deceivers to:
The "AEACLU" and/or "Anti Everything American Civil Liberties Union".

"Works-fir-me".

Neil
Old 08-24-2005, 06:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

I agree with Ya'all !00% , My Dad called them the Anti-Christian Liberties Union

"Just Say No to the ACLU"
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM

Since when were they EVER American. From their inception they have always been Anti-American. Everything they have done has been to the detriment of society in this country. Can anyone name ONE Positive thing they ave accomplished?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:15 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Awe-come-on....Murph.

What's with the trick question?
I thought that most all here were sort-of buddies?

What's next?
You going to ask us all to name: "ONE Positive thing" that either Clintons, Churchill, Fonda, Kerry, Kennedy, Moore, Sheehan and on and on and on,...accomplished FOR AMERICA???

In fairness Murph, any answers to such trick questions are quite easy, since all would be: "ZILCH", Nada, Nicht, Nuttin.

Neil