The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Iraqi Freedom

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Thumbs down Charged Blackwater guards ID'd: All decorated vets

WASHINGTON – The five Blackwater Worldwide guards indicted for a deadly 2007 Baghdad shooting are all decorated military veterans who have served in some of the world's most dangerous hotspots.

According to lawyers for the guards, the men are: Donald Ball, a former Marine from West Valley City, Utah; Dustin Heard, a former Marine from Knoxville, Tenn.; Evan Liberty, a former Marine from Rochester, N.H.; Nick Slatten, a former Army sergeant from Sparta, Tenn.; and Paul Slough, an Army veteran from Keller, Texas.

The men are charged following the shooting of 17 Iraqi civilians in a busy Baghdad intersection. Documents in the case remain sealed but are expected to become public Monday, when the men have been ordered to surrender.

"These are indictments that never should have been brought," Mark Hulkower, a lawyer for Slough, said Saturday. "Paul Slough has served his country honorably for many years and has done nothing wrong. I look forward to clearing his name."

The character of the five men will be a critical part of the case. Prosecutors are expected to describe the men as trigger-happy security guards who opened fire unprovoked. Defense lawyers will describe the men as honorable veterans who, after completing their military service, joined Blackwater to protect U.S. diplomats overseas.

Young children were among the victims of the shooting, which strained relations between the U.S. and Iraq. Following the shooting, Blackwater became the subject of congressional hearings in Washington and insurgent propaganda videos in Iraq.

"We strongly disagree with the Department of Justice's decision to bring charges against Dustin Heard," attorney David Schertler said Saturday. Schertler said blame for the civilian casualties lies not with the Blackwater guards but with insurgents who have made downtown Baghdad a battlefield.

"Blackwater security guards were defending themselves and their comrades who were being shot at and receiving fire from Iraqis they believed to be enemy insurgents," he said.

An Iraqi government spokesman, Ali al-Dabbagh, said Baghdad welcomed any attempt to "hold the criminals accountable for their crime."

The Iraqi government, he said, has retained a law firm to pursue compensation for the families of the victims. Some Iraqis said they were pleased by the latest developments in the case.

"I think it is a move in the right direction to make the security company employees realize that they are no longer above the law and they should stop behaving like cowboys on the streets of Baghdad," said Mohammed Latif, 52, a retired police officer in Baghdad.

The Justice Department obtained the indictment late Thursday and got it sealed. A sixth guard who has been under investigation in the case was negotiating a plea deal with prosecutors. Documents related to those negotiations were also under seal.

Lawyers braced for an indictment on assault and manslaughter charges. But the most serious charge being considered involved a 1988 law, passed at the height of the crack epidemic, that requires 30-year mandatory sentences for using machine guns to commit violent crimes.

The cases faces some legal hurdles before it can get to trial. To prosecute, authorities must argue that the guards can be charged under law meant to cover soldiers and military contractors. Because Blackwater works for the State Department, not the military, it is unclear whether that law applies to its guards.

Prosecutors are expected to argue that, if not for Blackwater, military personnel would provide diplomatic security. In that way, Blackwater could be seen as supporting the Defense Department's mission.

Early in the investigation, before the FBI even arrived in Iraq, the State Department erected another legal hurdle for prosecutors. Department investigators granted all the guards limited immunity in exchange for their statements about the shooting. That means prosecutors have to show they built their case without relying on those statements.
___
Associated Press writer Sameer N. Yacoub in Baghdad contributed to this report.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081206/...er_prosecution

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Exclamation

Contact! Contact! Contact!" Radio logs from Nisour Square shootingPosted By Uncle Jimbo

UPDATE: After reading this post my source contacted me and confirmed the accuracy of the transcripts. He was in the TOC shortly after the car bombing which precipitated this event and heard most of the calls live. The first call he heard was "Contact! Contact! Contact!" and subsequent calls stated they were taking fire from both uniformed Iraqi Police and shooters in civilian clothes as well. (again my source does not work for Blackwater)
The AP beat me by an hour or two but here is a look at the relevant part of the Blackwater radio logs on the day of the shootings in Nisour Square. They clearly show that the teams were either under fire or were dexterous enough to start creating a cover up while in the act of slaughtering innocents. I know which I believe. The log notes they came under fire shortly after entering the Square. A full look at the incident as detailed by my exclusive source is here.

Oh and I wonder where these bullet holes in the vehicles came from, friendly fire I guess. I have many more photos and a more complete piece tomorrow.

December 18, 2008 • Permalink

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2008/1...logs-from.html

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

They will get off

Ron