The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > World War II

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2002, 09:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Thanksgiving, A WW II perspective.

We had a member of our congregation that was a Frenchman, died several years ago. He had been apart of the French resistance movement during WW II. Early in 1943 he was captured and arrested by the Germans. Since the resistance movement wore no uniforms, they were considered common criminals by the Germans and not worthy of the Geneva Convention Rights of prisoners. In stead of executing the men and women of the French Resistance they (Germans) literally decided to starve the French prisoners to death, one or two meals a week mostly stale bread and a one slice or a half a slice. He told me that the only extra food they could find in the prison was rat. They would trap rats and eat them and it was survival. Those who learned to eat rat survived and those who didn't starved to death. He told me you really know how tough times are when you become grateful for rat. He also told me that the greatest site he every saw was the American Soldiers who came into the prison and opened prison doors and released them. He often told me that the younger generations are too affluent to really appreciate all they have. His prison experience gave him a better perspective on life and made him more appreciative of all the wonderful freedoms and blessings that most of us take for grant it. So, I've always remembered that statement, "Pastor, you can even be thankful for rat."

So, whatever your thanksgiving will like I am sure that almost everyone of us can find many things to be grateful for, and be truly grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving Week,

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2002, 09:53 AM

Thanks Keith.
My Uncle was in the Navy during WWII. I'm not sure exactly where he was, but he found himself alone for Thanksgiving. He said he went into an empty church, and had many hours with God there. Being grateful, Thankful, and also feeling sorry for himself. Thanksgiving became his favorite holiday ever after. To me, it was always his special day.
To Uncle Jack, you will always have a special place at my table, and I know you're there.
To all my friends, I have thought often this past week of all that I have to be grateful for..most importantly that in March I was brought back from death. For finding the reason that I was brought back to life. For never being alone. It's not Rat, but damned close!
Happy Thanksgiving Week.
Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 AM

Keith,

What a powerful story. I only wish people, like him, could share their stories with the younger generations, so that we can appreciate the freedoms we all too often take for granted.

It wasn't until my first deployment to the country of Panama, did I realize I had more than most. When you are a kid watching on TV starving people in Ethiopia, it moves you but not to the extent of seeing it in person. I left Panama with a greater appreciation for my citizenship in America and for human life.

If you haven't been collecting these stories, I would suggest you keep them. Perhaps, you may consider writing a book as a tribute to them.

Jane, I'm not sure how you almost lost your life, but I am sure glad you are still here. It's been a pleasure and quite an experience to be in your presence, even if it is through cyberspace. You seem to be a lovely person.

Much happiness to both of you,

Philly
Old 11-27-2002, 11:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Thanksgiving . . . .

Philly,

We visited Africa in 1990. We had some friends who lived in Dakar, Senegal.
They know the country very well. When you travel in the "bush" (thats where 70% of the African's live, not in the cities) you can't comprehend the poverty that exists in these third world countries. Yet, for the most part these people are happy. They basically live from week to week and day to day. Not much in the way of earthly goods. We need to be grateful for what we have and not complain about what we don't have.

Keith
Old 11-27-2002, 11:25 AM

Keith,

I completely agree with you. Africa is such a beautiful continent. They have a wealth of resources and beauty that seems endless. Their potential is limitless, however, their governments and social differences stifle their ability to progress. I have a dear friend from Cameroon Africa. He is well educated and grateful for having the opportunity to become an American. Through a foreigners eyes, you can see all what we have before us. It's whether we have the desire to utilize the resources we have to better our own lives. Hence, be the keeper of your life's journey. (Whether rich or poor make the most out of what you have.)
Old 11-27-2002, 04:40 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Philly

You are so right about Africa. In reality there is so much potential to that great continent. So many things: culture and the results of colonialism by the Europeans and blatant tribalism have just ruined the continent. And many other factors keep those wonderful people down and prevent the continent from achieving its full potential. I had a roommate from Ghana in college (Ken Aidoo) he wanted to become a Medical Doctor and go back to Africa to help his people. I fell in love with Africa and its people. They for the most part they are kind and wonderful people. It just tickled me pink to see Senegal defeat France in World Cup Soccer.

Keith
Old 11-27-2002, 05:36 PM

Good Evening Keith,

I'm right on your heals. I have some time tonight to chit chat before my day off.

My God Mother is living in Maryland right now at a missionary house. She is preparing to be a missionary. In April, she will be leaving the states for 2 years. The country in Africa she will live in is unknown to her at this time.

She'd been to Africa three times. On her last visit, she knew the African people were important to her and felt a tugging at her coat tail. I think she said she will stay for an additional year making it 3 years total. I'm hoping to visit her some day...