The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-27-2019, 10:24 AM

Thumbs up Why Should We Teach Our Students About the Vietnam War?

Why Should We Teach Our Students About the Vietnam War?
By: Ken Burns
RE: http://www.pbs.org/education/blog/wh...he-vietnam-war

The Background and Consequences

Within most social studies classes throughout America, students learn about the horrors of WWI and WWII. From trench warfare, machine guns, and mustard gas to Pearl Harbor, the Holocaust and the atomic bomb, our students learn the causes and consequences of war. Unfortunately, usually due to time constraints, lessons about the Vietnam War are often not fully addressed by educators.

Every war has a unique story, and within each war’s story, there are thousands of other stories. Most of us with a relative who fought in WWII have heard their accounts. However, most Vietnam vets were made to feel as though they should not share their stories. American society was rough on our servicemen and women when they came home. Vietnam vets were made to feel as though they had let our country down, as opposed to WWII vets who returned home as conquering heroes. Facing numerous difficulties, returning Vietnam vets were spit on, called “druggies” and “baby killers.” They were looked down upon by many in society and not given the psychological support they needed. Many retreated within themselves and never told their story.

The War Hits Home

As a child during the 1960s, I spent many dinners with my family watching CBS’ Walter Cronkite report the evening news and the events occurring both in Vietnam and stateside. Every evening, we listened to the report of those American soldiers who were declared to be either killed or missing in action. A local organization sold silver metal Prisoner of War (P.O.W.) bracelets. I wore mine every day for over five years. My family had a personal interest in the war as my Uncle Gary, my Mother’s brother, was a helicopter pilot for the U.S. Army. As the war progressed, my family was informed that while flying on a mission, he had been shot and was gravely wounded. Fortunately, after an extensive operation, my Uncle survived. After spending 18 months in the Denver VA hospital, he was released. This personal connection led me to a lifelong quest for more knowledge about the war and an unwavering appreciation of our Vietnam vets.

The Vietnam War Within the Classroom

Today, our students may have relatives who fought or were nurses or doctors during the Vietnam War. But our students do not truly have the knowledge or understanding of the war or its veterans. It is imperative that this generation of young people comprehend the many facets of the Vietnam War because the lessons learned are numerous and valuable. The war risked American lives for military and political objectives that most people never really understood. In addition, it damaged the United States economy and its overall reputation as an example of democratic principles. There are a variety of ways to teach about the war. Within my course, students read primary source articles, poems, and first-hand accounts written by combat vets, medics, field reporters, and more. They watch PBS documentaries and then actively engage in meaningful Socratic discussions. Furthermore, guest speakers comprised of combat veterans, as well as protestors against the war, talk openly and frankly to the students. This event leads to an even deeper understanding of the issues surrounding the war. In addition, deliberate lectures, short-answer essays, and having students write in-depth prose are all effective forms of instruction that lead students towards analyzing important aspects of the war, its aftermath and consequences.

Instilling a Deeper Understanding

Thankfully, many Americans’ opinions have evolved regarding our Vietnam vets. Through time and subsequent military engagements overseas, society’s view has become more knowledgeable, positive and supportive. Hopefully, through continued meaningful curriculum and effective instruction, educators can aid in this endeavor. The effects of the Vietnam War are still prevalent today and our students would benefit from having a deeper understanding. Our students and our Vietnam veterans deserve no less.

Another good link for teacher(s): https://www.pbslearningmedia.org/col...7#.WcA-sZOGON8

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2019, 10:31 AM

Arrow What Should We Be Teaching Our Kids About War?

What Should We Be Teaching Our Kids About War?
By: Sally Abrahms
RE: https://www.nextavenue.org/what-shou...ids-about-war/

Note: This woman's mission is to make a film that shows how children think about war

Three years ago, over dinner with friends, Susan Hackley shared her ambitious New Year’s resolution: She wanted to make a film that would show how American children think about war.

Today, she is in the midst of making that documentary, A Child’s Guide to War. As managing director of the Program on Negotiation at Harvard Law School by day, Hackley is well positioned to take on this project.

At Harvard, she organizes programs on conflict issues and seminars for people from around the world (from Israel and Palestine to Latin America) to be better negotiators. “We try to help them deal with conflict in productive ways,” she says.

Hackley, 68, holds a master’s in public administration from the Harvard Kennedy School. She is former chair of the Alliance for Peacebuilding, a Washington, D.C.-based national organization. And, she has a personal connection to war. Her son Zac was a young Marine who fought in Iraq and was among the first troops to enter Baghdad.

We caught up with Hackley in between interviewing and filming children of military and non-military families, trauma experts, members of Congress and veterans — and busily tapping fundraising sources:

Next Avenue: Why the topic of war?

Hackley: The media have focused on the struggles of veterans, but little has been said about the impact on their children and families. The subject is current, underreported and extremely important. I think this film offers a new perspective.

Speaking of perspectives, how did you react in 2000 when your son told you he had joined the Marines?

I was stunned. He hadn’t mentioned enlisting and had been accepted to college. I was worried that four years in the Marines would derail his education plans. But he assured me he would go to college later — and he did.

How was it having Zac at war?

It was horrible. When he joined the Marines, it was before 9/11. Then, in early 2003, Zac was on a ship headed to Baghdad preparing to go into battle and perhaps encounter chemical warfare. Every day, when I came home from work, I feared there might be that black military car waiting outside the front door.

You really understand the risk, don’t you?

Yes. My college boyfriend died in the Vietnam War. That and Zac’s experience made me even more committed to opening up a conversation about the toll war can take on families and what we can do to better support those families.

How so?

Everyone of our age remembers how painful and dysfunctional the conversations about war were during the Vietnam era. Whatever the war, it is very often the case that soldiers come home unwilling to talk about their experiences, and the rest of us don’t know what to say beyond, 'Thank you for your service.' It would be far healthier for all of us if we could have honest and respectful conversations about war.

Does your film have an anti-war message?

No. It is an effort to bridge the divide between the military and those who have no real connection to the military. I know peace activists who don’t know anyone in the military, and that seems wrong.

We all have a role to play in America and dividing ourselves between for and against war is wrong in my view. We need to have a space where we can all talk honestly about war together so that we make good decisions the next time when we’re thinking about going to war.

Why did you decide to interview kids?

I feel the best way to have conversations about war is to talk to America’s children. Their parents, grandparents and teachers need to know what the kids have to say.

We should talk to them in age-appropriate ways about war so they can grow up to make good decisions. When you are 18, you can join the military. You can vote for the leaders who make decisions about going to war. We don’t do enough to prepare kids for those responsibilities.

For children under 13, we have been to war their entire lives. Three out of five service members who deploy leave children behind. Nearly 2 million American children have a parent who has been to war.

Those are staggering numbers.

Yes. When we talk about war, we need to remember the larger circle of loved ones around the soldier. While I was interviewing in Indiana, someone said to me, 'When my brother went off to war, our entire family went to war with him.'

The media have focused on the struggles of veterans, but very little has been said about the impact on their families.

In my view, there is war talk fatigue in this country, and I think that by hearing the voices of our children say surprising, often poignant, things about war, adults will take note.

What are you learning from interviewing kids?

I’ve found that kids have many unanswered questions. We need to do a better job of educating our children about war.

What are some of those questions?

'Why do we decide to go to war?' 'What goes on in war?' 'How do wars stop?'

In the film, there is a group of kids, some have family in the military, some don’t, and the non-military kids ask questions of the kids who have had a parent go to war. There’s something about kids asking kids what it’s like to have a parent go to war that is truly moving and insightful.

Like what?

'What’s the worst thing about your dad being at war?' 'When you see a soldier coming home to her family, what happens after?' 'Is it comforting when another dad takes you to a baseball game because your dad’s at war?' 'Did they kill anyone?'

The parents and grandparents I am meeting are saying, 'Oh my God, I never knew my child or grandchild was thinking about all this.' Imagine being a child of 10 whose mom or dad has been fighting in Afghanistan and being worried that your parent will be killed or is trying to kill someone. That’s a lot for anyone.

Who is your audience?

Everyone, especially parents and grandparents. The benefits for our country could be immense if we make it safe for people to talk candidly about war. We send soldiers off to fight and need to support them in every way when they come back. That means supporting their families, too.

What is your goal for the film?

When the next debate happens about whether or not we should go to war, more Americans with and without connections to the military will factor in the significant cost to families and will also push to get families of soldiers the support they deserve.

Besides speaking with schoolchildren, what other research are you doing for the documentary?

In Washington, D.C., I organized an off-the-record conversation among high-level retired military from different branches and asked them why it’s so hard to talk about war. I learned that many times they have a complicated set of emotions relating to their war experiences and that can include pride, guilt, shame and anger.

I am also interviewing medical experts who note that some children can suffer secondary PTSD that goes untreated.

Has your work at Harvard’s Program on Negotiation been helpful for the project?

Definitely. Skilled negotiators know how to bring people together who have strong differences of opinion and let everyone feel heard. Understanding the other’s point of view is essential. We all are affected by war in this country, and we need to hear everyone’s voices.

This film will bring the viewer into the homes of many Americans deeply affected by war, and it will prompt all of us to think about what we can do to make sure all voices are heard.

One of the most important principles in being a skilled negotiator is understanding the interests of the other side and having empathy for their experience. Civilians need to understand and appreciate what soldiers experience, and military Americans need to let the rest of us be part of the conversation. We may not have been to war, we may sometimes ask dumb questions, but we want to understand it.

I’ve seen how the peace building people don’t connect with military and feel we need to do that because we all want the same thing: to fight only just wars, to support our citizens, including our soldiers, and to have empathy for other Americans who maybe don’t think the way we do.

How far along are you?

We have an 8 1/2-minute rough-cut trailer on our website that shows some of the footage. We’re making a 28-minute version that is going to air on public television in Indiana this spring. We’ll be telling the stories of soldiers and families in different parts of the U.S., from Alaska to Florida.

Along with the film, we will be developing a curriculum with education and psychology experts that will help teachers, parents and grandparents talk about war with children.

That’s ambitious, particularly since you already have a full-time job.

It is, but I believe so deeply in this project that I don’t get discouraged. A friend said to me, 'If you aren’t willing to take a long call about your project on Christmas morning, then don’t do the film.'

Did you get that call?

No, but I absolutely would have taken it!

About this writer: Sally Abrahms is an award-winning writer specializing in aging, caregiving, boomers, housing and aging in place. She has written for Next Avenue, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Time, AARP, Kiplinger's and other media outlets.

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up The Challenge of Teaching War to Today's Students

The Challenge of Teaching War to Today's Students
By: Tyler Bonin
RE: https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...ut-war/545351/

Today’s youth aren’t interested in learning about the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts that have shaped recent history—but an Iraq war veteran-turned-teacher warns that the results of an uninformed generation could be dangerous.

This is the first installment in our series of essays written by veterans. We asked service members to share how their time in uniform shaped their perspectives on American life.

The first time that I taught the Middle East to my high-school students, I expected questions on terrorism and the war in Iraq. My students knew that I was a Marine and a veteran of the war, and even though the history class concentrated on the advent of Islam and its expansion from the Arabian peninsula into Africa, Europe, and Asia, I prepared to use that context to form a discussion around the modern-day conflict. Considering today’s political landscape—and the fact that ISIS was at this point a focus in media discussions and presidential debates—I anticipated my students would be particularly curious about the relevance of the region’s history to their lives.

I knew they wouldn’t easily grasp the Middle East’s complexities over a month’s period of lessons, that drastic changes to their worldview wouldn’t occur. Some would simply be indifferent. Some would be hesitant to enter the discussion. Still, lessons on its history meant teaching them that its harsh political realities today—including terrorism—are more closely linked to European imperialism, modern strongmen, and foreign intervention than anything we were discussing concerning the early days of Islam. This class unit was, in my mind, the best opportunity for engaging students with those complexities.

Then nothing. After an initial inquiry about Islam and terrorism (and a short response) there were no more questions. I tried motivating them to ask questions or offer comments; I made it clear that the classroom was the place to talk about these things. Still nothing. So we moved on, and the rest of the year rolled by. Recently I started the Middle East unit with this year’s class. And again: nothing. The more I asked my students about their thoughts on the Middle East, the more I realized that it was not simply a matter of disinterest (although that is certainly a factor among some), but rather that the subject only existed to them in an abstract manner.

I wasn’t expecting teenage students to have a keen awareness of foreign affairs, but this surprised and saddened me. My high-school experience was shaped by 9/11, and I enlisted in the Marine Corps shortly after the towers fell. It wasn’t until after I returned from deployment to Iraq and entering college that I began to think more about what this war meant and how it has fundamentally changed American society. But for my students, this was a war that had existed for almost their entire lives: In fact, from the moment many of them were born, the U.S. has been engaged in conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. This is not to mention the indelible mark that terrorism has left on Europe in recent years, or the very visible specter of ISIS operating within the Middle East and Africa today. How could there be no questions?

As a teacher, I wanted student engagement, but as a veteran of Iraq, I wanted something more. I wanted students to actively seek understanding of the region and the war that shaped a new generation of vets, including myself. I wanted to know that this history would not be lost, that a war costly in blood and treasure would not be forgotten; student detachment now would mean their detachment as they entered college and, ultimately, the “real world.” The consequences of a disinterested society are severe when considering the inevitability of future American military mobilization. Education serves as a powerful tool for encouraging debate around the merits of military engagement. In how many needless military campaigns will the U.S. engage if the public does not take part in open discourse?

I began to wonder if the disconnect is generational, whether today’s children are uniquely disconnected from the war that has shaped their lives. Consider the Vietnam War: The number of U.S. households owning a television increased by 75 percent between 1950 and 1960. By the time the Tet Offensive took place in 1968—a major turning point in the war—nearly 95 percent of households owned a TV. Images of the war were directly broadcast into the homes of millions of Americans via the big three networks, and, because journalists in Vietnam enjoyed open access to military officers and few restrictions on what they publicized, the coverage Americans consumed was unprecedented in its scope. If you had a TV, and it was turned on, you were going to see Vietnam.

Although statistics concerning the percentage of TV-news coverage that was devoted to Vietnam are limited, the fact that it was America’s first truly televised war speaks to its magnitude as a media event. Personal connections also rendered teenagers hyper-exposed to the war. Even though a minority of those who served in Vietnam were conscripted, the draft was still a salient aspect of the war, one of which families were all too aware. Many attempted to enlist in the National Guard simply to avoid the unknowns that came with conscription. By contrast, in 2010, when the war in Iraq reached its seven-year mark, just 1 percent of news coverage was dedicated to the conflict. And currently, the proportion of Americans having served in the U.S.’s longest-running wars in Iraq and Afghanistan stands at less than 1 percent of the total population, a proportion much smaller than previous conflicts, including Vietnam. Fewer families maintain connections to the military today than in previous eras, and this fact is especially pronounced among younger Americans; the younger you are, the less likely you are to know anyone who served in the armed forces.

Perhaps this means that war does not hold bearing on the lives of those young Americans who have not been touched by it in a personal, or at least visceral, manner. With no relatives or family friends having served in Iraq or Afghanistan, and with such little media exposure to the conflicts, many young people do not have any reference point for understanding the impact of war. Experts argue history education—let alone nuanced history education that encourages critical thinking—is a low priority for America’s public schools, and if that’s the case this flaw only exacerbates the problem. As does the reality, according to some critics, that many modern-day textbooks teach a highly biased account of the “War on Terror.”

What does this mean? America’s youth aren’t apathetic—rather, they’ve grown up during a war obscured by modern American culture. If one doesn’t care to look at the war, then he doesn’t have to. It’s easy to change the channel, skip over a Facebook post, or ignore a tweet. A person can support the troops without having to look at or contemplate the associated violence. It’s not indifference per se, but instead lack of context.

American society cannot continue to ignore the history of regions in which its military operates, or the outcomes of conflict itself. I want students to be engaged. I want them to understand that this event has far-reaching implications for their lives. If education is truly an investment in the future, then that education must involve addressing consequences of prolonged war. It is today’s students who will foot the bill for Iraq and Afghanistan when they become taxpayers. It is today’s students who are now—and will continue to be—exposed to an entirely new set of policies and institutions have been developed in the name of the “War on Terror.” Today’s students, for instance, will continue to grow up in an era of both ever-increasing electronic surveillance and reduction of privacy.

When I’ve taught about the Middle East and addressed the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, I have become frustrated, perhaps because I am too close to it. Students’ silence speaks to the need for American schools to address a growing divide between the military and the American public—to include as a core part of the curriculum lessons on this ill-defined war that has left societies in ruin and changed American politics. At some point, students must learn that it is their civic responsibility to understand and assess violence being waged in their name. They must understand that they, too, will have lives shaped by the consequences of war in the 21st century. Generational differences may make this a tough discussion to have, but it is a critical one nonetheless.

About this writer: Tyler Bonin is an economics and history teacher based in North Carolina. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps, and is a veteran of the Iraq War.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"