The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Branch Posts > Marines

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2002, 04:13 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Youngest Marine bravely battles dire illness

HONORS: Erik Reams, fighting a brain tumor, gets request granted.

By Asta Corley
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: November 13, 2002)
Erik Reams, 7, may be the youngest person ever to become an official honorary Marine.

How does a 4-foot-high boy stand tall in the camouflages of the mainline forces? Quite proudly, considering his tremendous courage in the face of adversity.

Erik, the son of LuAnn and Micah Reams, lives in Anderson, a small community south of Fairbanks. He was diagnosed with a life-threatening brain tumor this summer and completed radiation treatments at Children's Hospital in Seattle. While en route to one of his appointments, he told his father that if he had to die, he wanted to do so as a Marine.

"My heart sunk a little bit," his father said. "My patriotic pride in my country and my son just swelled like you wouldn't believe."

Soon after Erik made his request, his father told family members. Erik's aunt, Kasandra Reams of Anchorage, called a friend who is a Navy recruiter to ask if they could get him a Marine hat or toy. The situation snowballed beyond the family's imagination.

Erik was the focal point during a ceremony held Oct. 27 at Anderson Elementary School during which the second-grader became Pvt. Erik Reams.

"I was definitely humbled by seeing this young boy who had these aspirations and dreams so early," said Marine Sgt. Jason Salmi of Fairbanks.

The event included a cake with the Marine emblem and red, white and blue balloons. Erik received a certificate, letter and gold Marine emblem from the commandant of the Marine Corps, four-star Gen. James Jones of Washington, D.C. Three military Marine Corps veterans also were present.

"The whole time during the ceremony, it was like he shifted into military mode," said his mother. "You could have sworn he had been through six weeks of the camp."

About 100 people from Anderson showed up for the ceremony. His uncle, Matt Reams of Soldotna, pinned a sharpshooter's medal on him.

Erik also received congratulatory letters from Sen. Ted Stevens and Governor-elect Frank Murkowski. Written kudos from President Bush are in the works.

In addition to a size extra-small Marine uniform, Erik received a hat, a plaque with a k-bar (a combat knife with the Marine Corps emblem), dog tags, jump wings, an 18-karat gold Marine emblem and a blanket bearing the Marine symbol.

"They lavished him something fierce," his father said.

The goal was to make the honor as real as possible for him, said Staff Sgt. Benjamin Moulden, a Marine Corps recruiter in Anchorage.

"It's kind of heart-wrenching. Having that desire is impressive to me," he said.

Both of Erik's grandfathers served in the military. His father's cousin was a Marine during the Vietnam War and earned a Silver Star.

Erik's parents describe themselves as patriotic people, and his father is an early American history buff. From watching war movies with his parents, Erik learned the Marines have a reputation for being tough and unbeatable.

Watching Erik being honored during the ceremony required some tissues.

"It was very emotional," his mother said. "At age 7, I'm actually seeing my son become a Marine when usually they don't join until after they graduate (from high school)."

Even though Erik does not realize the full extent of his illness, he knows that it's very serious.

"The boy is taking his illness just the way you'd expect a Marine to," said his father. "He's as tough as nails. He's just a strong-spirited little kid."

Erik, who walks with a limp, even jokes about his condition by saying that he was shot in the war. The reality is that he will probably have to use a wheelchair. Lately, his legs have been hurting and he is beginning to lose mobility on his left side.

"At this point, we're trying to let him be as much of a 7-year-old as he can be," said his father. "It's getting to the point that we'll have to sit down and talk to him."

The family has had a tough time accepting Erik's illness. At times, Erik becomes frustrated because he is not as active as he once was. His mother said that they draw strength from their faith in God.

Despite his physical challenges, he is a young kid with a twinkle in his eyes. Although his speech has slurred, his conversations are not filled with gloom, his father said. He talks about video games and what he wants for Christmas.

"He is constantly talking about the future," his father said. "He has a great deal of hope."

Reporter Asta Corley can be reached at acorley@adn.com.

Sempers,

Roger
1961-1977
68/69
Once A Marine............Always A Marine.............

http://www.geocities.com/thedrifter001/
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links