The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2006, 11:29 PM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 
Unhappy And the rains came

Well folks they say it rains in washington and theymight be right.its like the worst of the Monsoons.I was looking out the window this afternoon and seen the river flowing by about 5 feet below my new house. Its usally 300 feet away. also this aftewr noon I forded a washout to go to town and found the local school bus stuck by the water so I picked up the last kids and took them back home by logging roads. about 6 miles out of the way but a safe way home. went back to town to get dog food and took the safe way home on the logging roads. a couple of houses down the valley ain't so lucky the river was up to their window sills. the good news is the river dropped about a foot since 6 p.m... I wonder if I can go down to the FEMA people and get some money like New Orleans did. sorry thats sort of like a bad John Kerry joke huh.? Bern and David are coming over thursday to get our old table and chairs I'll see if they can help me post pictures.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:52 AM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

SN
In order to get money from FEMA your Governor has to first file that your state is a disaster area, Like Jeb Bush does when there is a hurricane in the area. Im not sure how that works, filing before the disaster hits? Couldn't all governors file for disasters on a future disaster?

Good that you helped the kids and all is dry INSIDE the SN house

Ron
Old 11-07-2006, 05:29 AM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 

I cant belive the river is that high!!!! thank goodness we are kind in the bottom of a bowl so the wind is not bad here, the lake has risen about a foot or so, but out where I work WHOOOWEEE. crazy weather, love it!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:53 AM

Distinctions
Special Projects POM Staff Contributor 
Default weather

Washington state braces for record flooding
Hunter killed; governor declares state of emergency; rivers sandbagged

NBC News and news services
Updated: 4:31 p.m. PT Nov 6, 2006
SEATTLE - A windy Pacific storm dumped heavy rain Monday on western Washington, raising the threat of record-breaking flooding and closing the main road in Mount Rainier National Park.

A 20-year-old elk hunter from Seattle was found dead after his pickup truck was swept into the Cowlitz River south of Mount Rainier, authorities said.

Gov. Chris Gregoire declared a state of emergency for 18 counties, authorizing the National Guard to activate and the state Emergency Management Division to coordinate assistance.

Officials at Mount Rainier National Park, which had 7 inches of rain Sunday and was expecting 10 more on Monday, closed the main park road, turned visitors away and sent employees home early via the only exit road open.

?We want to prevent visitors getting trapped inside the park. The road is vulnerable to washouts in several key places, and there is only one way out,? superintendent Dave Uberagua said.

A sheriff?s helicopter in Snohomish County, just north of Seattle, rescued several transients stranded on a sandbar where they had been camping.

Evacuations were being encouraged in parts of Skagit County near the Canadian border, with the Skagit River expected to reach record levels, county spokesman Dan Berentson said.

The National Weather Service warned county officials to expect worse conditions than in 2003, when flooding caused $17 million in property damage in Concrete and 3,400 households were evacuated, he said. Residents began showing up at one shelter by midday, and a hospital evacuated 15 patients as a precaution.

Pineapple Express arrives
The warm-weather rainstorms, propelled by air currents from Hawaii in a pattern called the Pineapple Express, could cause flooding of record proportions, the weather service said. Several rivers had already jumped their banks.

At least 200 hunters were evacuated from about 65 hunting camps near the Cowlitz River.

As of early Monday afternoon, Stampede Pass on the Cascade crest east of Seattle had 4? inches of rain in the previous 24 hours, while Seattle-Tacoma International Airport recorded more than 2? inches. The forecast called for 6 to 10 inches in the Cascades and about 3 inches in the Seattle area in the 24 hours ending Monday night, with most rivers expected to crest Tuesday.

"We are looking at a very significant storm," said Nora Leyde, a spokeswoman for the Army Corps of Engineers, which was sandbagging several rivers.

Besides the Stillaguamish, the National Weather Service issued flood warnings for the Tolt, Cowlitz, Snoqualmie, Snohomish, Skagit, White, Elwa, Nooksack, Puyallup, Carbon, Bogachiel and Satsop rivers. In most populated areas the crest was expected Tuesday.

KING-TV reported that evacuations were under way in the city of Snoqualmie. The nearby Snoqualmie Falls was reportedly flowing at a rate of 69,000 cubic feet per second, eclipsing the old record of 50,000 cubic feet per second, KING-TV reported.

Wind warnings
A less serious flood watch was issued for the less populated eastern slopes of the Cascade Range, and wind warnings were issued for gusts to 45 mph in much of Eastern Washington and to nearly 60 mph west of the Cascades. Gale force winds were forecast for most of the state's marine waters, including Puget Sound.

The Lewis County sheriff's office said a hunter was missing in the Cowlitz River near Packwood, A group of elk hunters was being evacuated and one vehicle backed onto a riverbank, which collapsed, deputies said.

Urban flood warnings were issued for clogged storm drains and overflowing streams in Western Washington, and coastal flooding from heavy surf and high tides. High water over a road blocked the north entrance to the parking garage at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport Monday morning, said airport spokesman Bob Parker.

The Hood Canal floating bridge linking the Kitsap and Olympic peninsulas was closed for four hours overnight as winds gusted to more than 40 mph.

Mud, rock slides
A mudslide early Monday closed one lane of U.S. Highway 101 near Lake Crescent on the Olympic Peninsula. A stretch of U.S. Highway 395 north of Spokane was closed for nine hours Sunday after boulders, apparently loosened by the wet weather, rumbled onto the road and hit a car and a truck. Occupants of both vehicles escaped serious injury.

National Weather Service forecasters issued flood watches for all of Western Washington except Whidbey and Camano islands and the San Juans, and more serious flood warnings for heavily populated King, Pierce and Snohomish counties.

Corps of Engineers emergency management teams began preparing late Sunday for flood assignments, especially in the most threatened areas in Snohomish, Skagit and Whatcom counties, which extend north of Seattle to the Canadian border.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post It's been raining

We've had about two days of persistent rain also. And we are on the dry side of the hill. Hardly any wind though. And we know wind. About once a week year around we get wind alerts. Winds of 30 mph or more with gusts of around 50 mph. Almost every week, nearly year around.. But the rain hasn't let up for a couple of days now. We only get 8 inches a year here.

Keith
Old 11-07-2006, 07:44 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Chris,

So glad to hear that your new digs are safe. Have been watching that on the news and was wonderin' if you Washington State boys were ok. Cool thing about helpin' those kids. We got a Monsoon going on here today also, but is quite normal for this place. Much bettern' a hurricane. Hope the wine crop isn't hurt any by this....starting to really enjoy your wines.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 11-07-2006, 07:54 AM

Distinctions
VOM Coordinator Contributor 

Keith we had over 12 inchs of rain since sunday. the good news is we survived. the river is back within its banks and life is good. I'll take the kubota out later this afternoon and clean up. right now I'm putting away my plans for a Ark till next time. I couldn;t find any of the cubits anyway. guess I'll have to make a trip to the home depot they have everything
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

SN-e3 have seen the reports on the news, not good for the folks in Sanomish so far. Hope the waters recede soon. I surely miss Seatlle some times.

If your going to suceed your going to have to know how to deal with failure. (Joe Torre).
Old 11-07-2006, 11:16 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

Has there been a guy that goes by the name of 'Noah' hanging out, inquiring about rough plank lumber, square-cut logs and local animal species? If so, he knows some things that may be important.

Scamp
Old 11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Distinctions
Contributor 

SN
cubit, a length we know to have been 52.4 cm, approximating the length of a man's forearm. Now get to building.

Ron