The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2002, 06:56 AM

Default What's a Military Family Worth?

This was sent to we today, I'm not sure who wrote it but I thought it was something we should read.

I think the vast differences in compensation between the victims of the September 11th casualty, and those who die serving the country in uniform, are profound. No one is really talking about it either because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11th. Well, I just can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country.

If you lost a family member in the September 11th attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million. If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable. Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt. Keep in mind that some of the people that are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11th families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well. You see where this is going, don't you?

Folks, this is part and parcel of over fifty years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. "Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." --Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

Every time when a pay raise comes up for the military they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low rent housing. However our own U.S. Congress just voted themselves a raise, and many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one-time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month and most are now equal to be millionaires plus. They also do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system.

If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7 you may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed you in harms way receive a pension of $15,000 per month. I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.

Semper Fi
Steve
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2002, 08:31 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Smile

Darrel being retired E-7 and having 2 sons and a daughter in law serving, I agree 100%.

On good days, we and ours made decisions about service to our country and stick by them. We knew what we were getting into.
Politicians are into money and power.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:43 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Not one dime was paid to me for burial expenses. That came out of the insurance money. "It don't mean nothing to me." I was pretty angry at the time and probably would have told them where to put it at the time.

The amounts you are now quoting have been raised. $935 a month now for the surviving spouse of a 100% service connected veteran. But when the defacation hit the oscillator for us it was a whole lot less. No problem. I knew how to survive and make do and my kids had all the meat, fruit, vegetables, they needed, minus all the junk they did not need including 24/7 television. They learned that books were good friends and you don't have to go to the movie to be entertained. They were in a protected, safe, always clean, loving environment and we have no complaints. As matter of fact I am proud of the challenges I had and overcame with the help of the Father. I know for sure and for certain I was a whole better off than most people on this small planet we live on.

I do believe we should keep our promise To CARE FOR HIM WHO HAS BOURNE THE BATTLE AND HIS WIDOW AND HIS ORPHAN. It should be a no brainer in a humane society. Those that disagree I have nothing to say to them. I wouldn't consider them polite company to be in. Thanks for your reminder to all of us about what our responsibility is. God Bless>>>>>>>>

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 06-05-2002, 09:43 AM

Distinctions
Coordinator VOM Contributor 
Default Mind boggling!

How could these discrepancies possibly be justifiable?Makes me want to puke!

Peace,Griz
Old 06-05-2002, 11:32 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default There are those

that would argue that service people put themselves in voluntarily and that is the consequence of being a professional soldier as apposed to a draftee. They also have SGLI which is way higher than when we were in. Not sure what it is but know you can get up to at least $250,000.

All that said, it is, as Sis so rightly said, our, (us, the government) responsibility to REALLY take care of the widow, orphan, of he who borne the battle. My tax dollars going to help the service people and families is a good use of my hard earned, taken at gun point, tax dollars. The American people donated somewhere around a billion bucks to help out the families etc. All the corporations that lost people should also be helping out. (and I know some are, maybe all) I figure if they can afford to pay rent in one of those towers, they can help their own widow's, orphans, and widowers. Our tax dollars have no business helping out the families of 9-11. Sorry, and some will hate me for that statement, but that's the way I feel. With a combination of the different funds set up for these people, private funds, the surviving families would have plenty to begin their new lives, and I'm sure a bunch had life insurance. If I get killed in a car wreck tonight, who's gonna raise half a mil for Debbie? I failed to mention all the law suits from not only people on the Aircraft's but those on the ground, that will be happening to the Airlines involved. You bet your butt they are comin' soon, and some have already started.

In my humble opinion, I feel for all the people not only killed but those that were injured and the surviving families. I want to see all of these scum Islamic bottom suckers brought to justice, and would love to see it done on the hot end of an M-16. But guvmnt payouts to civilians.....no.

Packo

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
Old 06-05-2002, 03:56 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Unhappy Packo

Total agreement on 9-11 victims. I didn't hear about any payments to the Pentagon victims.

As usual, we take care of ourselves and each other.
Just fun information found on another website and I don't know how it was calculated...

You are worth exactly: $1,574,050.00.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:03 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Unhappy Steve

I'm in total agreement my friend.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Old 06-05-2002, 10:24 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Pull up an easy chair
sit yourself down and lean back
Let me tell you about the folks
That live in the town of Green Back

They never have to work on their
hands and knees, cause they live
In a town where money grows
on trees

Oh the money tree, the money tree
It's a beautiful sight to see
Why couldn't it happen
To you and me..

Well there's fresh new bills
That snap and crack
As fast as you pickum
the grow right back
And every year there's
a bumper crop
With a trillion dollar bill
way up on top

Yeah the money tree,
the money tree
it's a beautiful sight to see
Why couldn't it happen
to you and me!!!

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
Old 06-06-2002, 07:37 AM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

TRAVIS TRITT LYRICS

Lord Have Mercy On The Working Man
(Kostas)

All around I hear the sound of money
But I ain't got a nickel to my name
And everywhere I look I see temptation
She stands on every corner and calls my name

Won't you tell me if you can
Cause life's so hard to understand
Why's the rich man busy dancing
While the poor man pays the band
Oh they're billing me for killing me
Lord have mercy on the working man

Uncle Sam's got his hands in my pockets
And he helps himself each time he needs a dime
Them politicians treat me like a mushroom
Cause they feed me bull and keep me in the blind

Repeat Chorus

Hey St. Peter look down for a minute
And see this little man about to drown
There's quicksand all around and man I'm in it
Please help me up Lord cause I'm going down

Why's the rich man busy dancing
While the poor man pays the band

Why's the fat man busy dancing
While the thin man pays the band

Please Lord have mercy on the working man
Please Lord have mercy on the working man