The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Conflict posts > Vietnam

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 AM

Actually "Ba Muoi Lam" means dirty 30 as you suspected. "Lam Do" means to get dirty so it probably reads more like "30 got dirty" or some such in Vietnamese. "Ba muoi ba" was the beer (33) and "bon muoi nam" was the whiskey (45).
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Distinctions
Special Projects VOM Staff Contributor 

Dave if you set your Message Editor Interface to Full WYSIWYG Editing in the UserCP it will keep HTML formatting in your posts.

UserCP
Edit Options
Message Editor Interface
Inhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing
Old 02-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

dirty thirty letter006.pdf

In going through my dad’s (Carl Erickson) records I found a “Letter of Appreciation” which answers a question raised on this thread about a foreign country commanding American troops in Vietnam. I typed this out but also attached a scanned copy.

AIR FORCE SECTION
MILITARY ASSISTANCE SECTION GROUP, VIETNAM
APO 143, SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA

10 FEB 1964

REPLY TO
ATTN OF: MAGAF-PDC

SUBJECT: Letter of Appreciation

TO: Captain Carl R. Erickson A02095745
4435 Air Trans Sq (TAC)
Hamilton AFB, Calif

Thru: TAC
Langley AFB, VA 23365

1. I wish to express my appreciation to you as an ex-member of the group known as the "Dirty Thirty" for you contribution to the development of an air transport capability within the Republic of Vietnam. While you and your fellow officers were providing the vital airlift of personnel, supplies, and equipment, you permitted the critically few Vietnamese pilots to be available for tactical operations against the Viet Cong thereby precluding an impending communist victory in South Vietnam.

2. Because the "Dirty Thirty" were under the operational control of a foreign government, your experience is unique in th annals of the Air Force and should provide valuable historical data for future operations. The battle against the communist is not yet won but because of your untiring efforts and willingness to under go unusual hardships you may point with pride to your part in the cold war battle to preserve democracy.

Robert R. Rowland
Brigadier General, USAF
Chief

Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Joy

Before my dad died I ask him if there were any Marines there in 1962 and 63. He said yes too many<

Dave
Old 04-15-2009, 07:20 AM

Default My Dad was also in the 62-63 Dirty Thirty

He is 82 today and was in Vietnam from 62-63 in the Dirty Thirty. He could probably be of some assistance to you.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:29 AM

Default my dad is in your picture

John D. Ritenour is my father - he too was one of the original Dirty Thirty. He served in the USAF for 38 Years and today is his 82nd birthday. What these men did was so brave and honorable and yet they have received little recognition. It would be wonderful if we could somehow get a reunion of the surviving Dirty Thirty!
Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 

katezea
Welcome aboard!

Great to here from another Brat of the 'Dirty Thirty" that makes 4 of us here!
I posted the squadron picture here also. (your dad with a great big smile is there)

My Dad passed away on 01/31/09. (see Maj Carl R Erickson thread)As soon as I can make a clip I'll be posting a very short clip of the "Dirty Thirty' in action as my dad had taken some movies of a troop drop while there. The question is will this troops be Vietnamese or American's? Maybe your dad can recall?

Remember they were just advisor's < not combatants !!

Dave
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Wow, I know my dad would love to see any videos. I downloaded the picture of the D30 today and took it to my dad at lunch - it is his 82nd birthday today. He was visable moved and teary and shocked that I was able to find a picture. My dad has told me many times over the years that one day the children of these 30 men will receive the medals these men earned but have never been awarded. I believe it is because much of the mission remains classified. I am sure there is a way to go about speeding up this process.

My father served in the Air Force for 38 years and I was always so very proud to be his daughter. It means so much to me to have found this site and other children who share that pride.

I am so sorry about the loss of your father...I can tell from your posts how very close you were to him. Peace. Kate Ritenour
Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezea View Post
John D. Ritenour is my father - he too was one of the original Dirty Thirty. He served in the USAF for 38 Years and today is his 82nd birthday. What these men did was so brave and honorable and yet they have received little recognition. It would be wonderful if we could somehow get a reunion of the surviving Dirty Thirty!
Hey katezea, it's great to see another Dirty Thirty Brat in the forums. My dad's name is James W. Bender (top row, center of the big picture). I will ask my dad if he remembers your dad and hopefully we can put them in contact with each other. The reunion idea would be great, but I sure hope we do it soon. My dad was one of the younger guys and he is now 74.

Glad you're here. I will PM you with my contact information.

Todd
Old 04-15-2009, 01:01 PM

I googled the names on the list provided - not too much luck, but I did find a Robert E. Uptmor age 77 living in Glenns Ferry ID. There is a phone number listed as well, I have not yet called.

Kate Ritenour