The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > Other Conflicts > Early Modern

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2003, 12:53 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Thumbs up Louis XIV

Although I really enjoy history, I've never spent a lot of time studying French Kings except as they related to wars. Always thought Louis XIV - The Sun King was really a jerk, although he did have some good looking girlfriends.

Well opinions can change. Louie was a jerk but now I have a little more respect for him. In the 1670s he built the first Veterans hospital/old age home. To think, the idea of VA hospitals came from a Frenchman who just loved to over tax his people. Guess everyone, even a pompous ass like Louie can do some good things.

Stay healthy,
Andy
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2003, 12:55 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Question If memory serves me correctly

Old Veterans Homes was started by the Romans. They took real good care of their retired veterans.

French or Italian, whats the difference?

Keith
Old 06-19-2003, 12:17 PM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Smile Keith

There is no doubt at all the Roman?s treated their retired troops very well, often giving them land. If I have it right, Paul?s comments in the book of Philippians were especially important because the town was made up of 70% ex-grunts. He was playing to a really tough crowd. I think Corinth was also a very tough town with plenty of ex-soldiers and sailors who were given property there.
However, after the fall of the Roman empire so many things that the Roman?s and their predecessors had developed ended. A couple of hundred years before Christ, Ptolemy determined the world was round and got really close to the right dimensions. Nonetheless 1500 years later most folks believed the world was flat.
Louie the 14th didn?t invent the VA but I wonder if he knew how the Roman?s treated their disabled and retired troops? Since Louie there was been an effort by most countries to do something for those who fought for their nation.
You are right, the Roman?s had a very nice system for the 50% who lived to the end of their 20 year enlistment.

Stay healthy,
Andy
Old 06-19-2003, 01:20 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post Retire Soldiers

They had the best retirement program of all the civil workers in Ancient Rome. Rome knew very well the importance of a professional Army. They knew that world peace depended upon the strength of their military. The Pax Romana was the result of a strong military. Yet, many don't understand that in Western Culture.

Philippi in Macedonia was settled by mostly retired Roman Soldiers. It became a mostly Italian settlemen at about 42 BC and remained a strong retirement city for the Roman Soldier.

Corinth a sea port. Materialistic, lots of prostitution, anything goes attitude in lifestyle, famous as a "sin-city." Supposedly 1,000 prostitutes sponsored by the city government.

A tough job for Paul but someone had to do it.

To be a Corinthian in Rome meant, one was given over to loose living.

Keith