The Patriot Files Forums  

Go Back   The Patriot Files Forums > General > General Posts

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Happy St. Paddy's Day

Did ya'all remember to wear your green or orange (depending on your religion) today ?
Orange is for the Protestants and Green is Catholic in the olden days. I went to the Grocery Store today and they weren't selling beer today at Piggly Wiggly. Did anyone else notice any stores not selling Beer on St Patrick's day ? May you kiss the blarney stone and get the gift of gab. And may the lord take a liking to ya' but not too soon
Old 03-17-2005, 06:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to QM3steve
Distinctions
Contributor 

The bars here were open at 07:00. The temp was about +9. Mostly college kids that are numb to the weather after a while though.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:53 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Happy Paddy's Day back to you...

When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away.

"Erin Go Braugh"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 06:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Oh dear! Wearing Orange in my part of town, into one of me pubs is a good way to get your ass kicked!

Saint Patrick's day is a high holy day. Seems over the years we have forgotten that. But in order to remember you'll need a bit of history about St. Patrick.

Patrick was a slave who spent most of his day attending to his masters sheep. Cold and lonely days were met with solitude. Patrick decided that he should speak to God during his day. God did answer him and told him to become a man of God and spread the word about God. Patrick escaped from slavery and returned to England. He spent fifteen years in the Seminary and became a Priest.
Patrick returned to Ireland and began teaching the Celts and Drew-ids that there was only one God. Patrick was well aware of the customs and folk laws of these people. He imposed the Celt symbol of the sun on the Christan cross, this was his way of showing his respect for the ways and customs of the native people.
When Patrick rid the land of serpents, this was his way of ridding the land of the Celts and Drew-ids ways of worship. It is symbolized by the snake and thus the falsehood that Patrick rid the land of the animal it's self.
Patrick was to become a Saint on the day of his death. March the seventeenth. Thus we celebrate his death and not his birth.
His death was declared a high holy day by the Church entering Patrick into Saint Hood.
The reason for the celebration, is that the High Church declared the Irish could eat meat during what is normally Lent. The Irish held a feast on this day after attending Church.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

I celebrated by having the traditional Irish 7-course dinner...
a six-pack and a potato!!
Old 03-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Distinctions
VOM 

Some great responses and I hope everyones day went well. "May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand." and lastly "May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks, may your heart be as light as a song, may each day bring you bright, happy hours that stay with you all the year long."
Old 03-18-2005, 04:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to SparrowHawk62 Send a message via Yahoo to SparrowHawk62

Quote:
[i]..May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks,..."
Yes, another item made famous by Saint Patrick. He told the Irish that this represented the Holy Trinity. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Thus the plant is revered in Ireland.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown